Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • torn knee ligament recovery?
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

hi, just been to a&e and i have torn the ligament in my left knee, after awkwardly coming off my erm *cough* BMX… just wondering if anyone has done this and how long it takes to heal?, im not at the physio till next friday and meant to be at work on monday, im a builder.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

What ligament and what grade of tear?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

oh they didnt tell me,its on the inside of my left knee, and at the minute its more painfull than a break, if that is an indication of grade??

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Medial Collateral Ligament then. And if it's painful that's a relatively good sign.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm fill your boots. Nowt too much to worry about though.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

thanks phoenix great help. its maybe a 2 or 3 it is swollen and bruised but they didnt give me strapping or anything, just crutches and painkillers. when i asked if id be riding this weekend though he laughed at me and said "oh my dear boy no, no." just worried about going to work really.

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

If it's sore it'll probably be a 2. Complete tears tend not to hurt.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hurts like hell doesn't it? I tore the ligament on the inside of my left knee & it took quite a few weeks to get to the point where I wasn't feeling pain any more. This was many years ago, and I'm afraid to say I still get the odd twinge from it, though it doesn't affect my cycling. Strangely though, horse riding results in a lot of pain, I think it's the angle at which the knee is turned whilst on a horse.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

yeah its definatly the more of a sideways movement which creates the most pain. after it happened i managed to make a few pedal rotations to get me home, walking on it however which consists of a slight sideways push…not a chance, seriously a yelp out in pain kind of thing…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

What kind of hospital haven't given you more informatino about your injury! I'd get back there and find out specifically as it will affect the way you recieve treatment.I tore ACL 9 months crippled basically then slow recovery so I guess it depends, although now I don't have too many problems with it.

Pook

torn the same lig in my right knee. Took about 6 or 7 weeks to completely get better, still get the odd twinge now. Did it 10 years ago

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

my hospital dont have english as a first language so getting info is a bit of a none starter. im guessing the physio will let me know everything when i go and see him/her. these reocurring twinges dont sound to appealing, i already have bad arthritis in wrist and hand…im only 28 ha! as long as i can get into work come monday il be happy. already haD 4 weeks off in january cos i broke my hand

Conor
    Free Member

IF it's MCL, about 4 weeks.

A few years ago I came off bad.. tibail plateau fracture, complete tare of inside MCL and partial of outer MCL, complete ACL rupture and partial PCL. My leg basically flopped uselessly at the knee and couldn't support my weight at all. 6 weeks in a hinged cast. Then surgery a year later for the ACL. Then physio for 6 months…. never again 🙁

It's 95% as good as new now though!

carlosg
    Free Member

4 or 5 weeks of taking it steady it's fairly common injury.

Ruptured my patellar tendon(the big one between kneecap and shin) 13 years ago , spent 4 1/2 months in plaster/on crutches then had a 2nd op at 6 months to remove the wire they put in and spent another 4 weeks on the sticks , give me broken bones every time extensive soft tissue damage takes too long to heal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘torn knee ligament recovery?’ is closed to new replies.