Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Tories, cycling and helmets
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cameron and Johnson both cycle and obviously are genuine about it as a mode of transport around london. Neither likes to wear helmets.

Is that they have no brains to protect or is it because they understand the daftness of wearing them? 😉 Cameron is often pictured with a helmet on the handlebars of his bike!

So do they got votes for clearly being cylists, lose them for not wearing helmets or what? Good role models?

I cannot think of a single labour bod who actually cycles regularly

CHB

Of absolutely no consequence to me if they wear helmets.
    I shall be voting purely for whoever isn't the party that took us into an illegal war on a lie and doesn't have an incompetent scottish bully at the helm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dont you find it interesting that they are genuine cyclists but don't wear helmets despite clearly having been told to do so by the PR flacks?

CHB

Us cyclists tend to be quite determined to decide for ourselves when and where we wear helmets. Me? Well I pretty much always wear one and have been glad of it on a few occaisions. I defend the right not to wear one as I believe passionately in freedom of the individual to choose for themselves.

I am sure callmeDave and Boris are slightly opinionated on this and other matters?

kimbers

dont believe the hype
    camerons cycling photo shoots are carefully staged
    its all pr, he looks like a healthy, green guy but keeping it real by not wearing a lid
    hes banned any photos of him using his private jet to get about the country during the election campaign
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/letters/article7089399.ece

there was a comment in the times somewhere about him banning the pictures but i cant find it now

hilldodger
    Free Member

[OEGGVjWF]
    Free Member

They're using their right to choose whether they wear a helmet or not. They've chosen not too. Big deal. Only you seem to have a bee in your barnet (I can't say bonnet as you probably don't wear one due to the 3.477655% chance of suffering a rotational force injury if you fall over on your morning constitutional) about it.
    You're right about helmets Jeremy, the vast majority of the cycling population who do wear a helmet are wrong.
    Please can you leave it alone now?
    Have a look on Outdoors Magic. I believe somebody has made an incorrect reference to the sale of goods act. while advising somebody about their rights to union representation but failed to get their information from Wikipedia.
    Quick!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cameron clearly is a genuine cyclist.

That pic of boris is really funny Its not exactly fitted properly

Both are often pictured without helmets and Cameron with one over the bars of his bike. I think both have been told by the PR flacks to wear helmets but hate them.

In his Daily Telegraph column, he (boris) wrote: "In my efforts to do the right thing, I have ended up giving offence to both opposing factions. As soon as I started to wear a helmet, I was denounced as a wimp… As soon as I was pictured not wearing a helmet, I was attacked for 'sending out the wrong signal'."

Cyclists, he argued, should have the right to choose "hatless, sun-blessed, windswept liberty" or "helmeted security".

Anyone think of any cycling Labourites?

good article by boris
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/borisjohnson/3559551/Get-a-bike-helmet-to-get-ahead-or-maybe-not.html

hilldodger
    Free Member

I believe somebody has made an incorect reference to the sale of goods act. while advising somebody about their rights to union representation but failed to get their information from Wikipedia.

😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Barca – you miss my point entirely on this. I am not making a party political point nor any point about the efficiency of helmets – and by the way – the majority don't wear them.

I am genuinely interested in people reactions to this – both that the two of them clearly are genuine cyclists and that neither like wearing helmets despite being repeatedly told to do so.

Should they wear helmets as an example?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Sadiq Khan, Tooting MP – fully kitted up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Even got cycle clips 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cuts in expenses starting to kick in then? And will they get to keep their bikes for when they have to go looking for a new job in a months time?

Bunnyhop

If Boris fell off with that thatch of hair, surely he'd bounce.

kennyp
    Free Member

Personally I'm glad both are cyclists, and hope they are genuine about it. As for wearing them helmets, it doesn't bother me one way or another. I certainly don't think they should feel obliged to wear one because it supposedly sets a good example. Doubt it would change anyone's mind anyway.

Tiger6791

Both on rigid, with flat handlebars. I've spotted a gap in the forum market.

http://www.Rigidretro29ertorybikeradarworld.com/forum

Swung my vote

westkipper
    Free Member

What looks more normal, more everyday? the guy in the first picture, or Sadiq Khan, who looks like he's about to go into battle alongside the riot police?

****!, Ive just noticed that I ride the same brand of bike as that fudd Cameron, I may hafta get rid of it. 😐

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Best not to mention Tories and Helmets together! 😉

Tiger6791

The photo of Cameron… is that a Kung Fu master in the background?

naokfreek
    Free Member

I wear one for 50 hours a week couriering in london but never bother apart from that (off road always), a free bonce once in a while is a nice feeling…you make your choice, you take your chance….life.

I like that they ride.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, sadiq looks like he's doing it for the PR.

I know I'm going to make an unpopular comment now but I think we need more Boris's. The guy chases down crims on his bike on a regular basis. How many of us do that?

Dibbs
    Free Member

TJ starts yet another "anti-helmet" thread, yawn!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Dibbs – how about you read it – its not an anti helmet thread FFS – no anti helmet sentiment from me – on this or any other thread, still = its easier to snipe than read eh?

I found it interesting that the two highest profile political cyclists are both Tories and neither wear helmets. I wondered if they would get criticised by all the usual suspects for not wearing helmets.

I actually have a fair amount of respect for both of them for being active cyclists

westkipper
    Free Member

Frankly, what we need is an anti-helmet anti-tory combined thread.

starseven
    Free Member

Public opinion(not cyclist opinion):

Cycling = Good = votes

Helmets = bit of a knob = no votes

aracer
    Free Member

I'm just loving the fact that TJ started this one. Can't quite decide whether he'd actually consider voting for Dave or Boris purely because they have a similar philosophy on helmet use as him!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer. I find myself strangely sympathetic to them – especially Boris. I believe he may be the last charismatic politician left. It can only be good that there are politicians who are genuine cyclists.

Edit – I do find it rather amusing that no one on here will condemn them considering the usual ranting against anyone who dares to ride a bike helmetless. With them being high profile public figures and all.

igm

CHB – Member
    Of absolutely no consequence to me if they wear helmets.
    I shall be voting purely for whoever isn't the party that took us into an illegal war on a lie …

Well that counts out Labour and Tories, the second bit counts out the Scot Nats – so is it Liberals, Welsh Nats, UKIP or the BNP for you CHB?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So do they got votes for clearly being cylists, lose them for not wearing helmets or what?

Ha! Haaa! Haaaaaa! That's a bit rich coming from you? Pot. Kettle. Black. 8)

kimbers

all labservatives are not to be trusted FACT

anokdale
    Free Member

WGAS as long as someone sorts the country out.

poppa
    Free Member

How do you know that their PR team aren't telling them not to wear helmets?

kimbers

yep poppa is right

mt
    Free Member

Hello TJ, nice to know that you, dave and Boris have things in common. The right to choose.

poppa
    Free Member

After all, sometimes you can come off looking worse even if you are wearing safetly clothing that is advisable to be wearing…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

dont believe the hype
    camerons cycling photo shoots are carefully staged
    its all pr, he looks like a healthy, green guy but keeping it real by not wearing a lid
    hes banned any photos of him using his private jet to get about the country during the election campaign

What's that got to do with him cycling around London? Do you think he should cycle around the country for his campaign?

anokdale
    Free Member

Whoever gave him that helmet set him up. LOL I would have replaced the plates in that armour with his manifesto, see how much faith he would really put into it. 😉

I would not follow him to the bar if he was buying.

kimbers

What's that got to do with him cycling around London? Do you think he should cycle around the country for his campaign?

the reason he has to cycle in london is beacause the city is virtual gridlock something the current mayor has done nothing to help

but i think the 50 odd trips he will be taking in his private jet is a disgrace, waste of fuel resources and just highlights how elitist and out of touch he is, whilst his pr campaign only shows him on his bike, does he take us all for fools?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Boris Johnson in that times article said this…. We now KNOW hes a liar.

For £16.99 I was able to coddle my cranium with the latest superlite carbon fibre bonce-protector,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Tories, cycling and helmets’ is closed to new replies.