Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Torchy lights
  • hambl90
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the torchy lights , the bk six 1800 lumen in particular. Does anyone have any real world experience with these ? Feedback good and bad would be great , it will be used for some South Wales trail centre rides mainly.

Thanks

joebristol

I’ve asked my parents for one for xmas. No idea what it’ll be like. I emailed Torchy to ask which is more appropriate for off road out of that light and the bk thr33. He suggested the 6ix as it’s less spotlighty and more flood. I’ve got a cheapy Chinese thing to put on my helmet to go with it.

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks joe, I use one of those 18650 torches on the helmet which I got from deal extreme years ago and still going strong , but the cheap solarstorm I bought for use last winter only lasted a few rides before the batteries refused to hold their charge. Hoping that people will tell me that the torchy one is more reliable.

matt_outandabout

We have some Torchy lights in oab house and lots for the bike club. Great value, great service. Safe, proven Chinese lights from UK supplier who is also helpful. Why wouldn’t you?

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks Matt , how long have you been using them and how are the batteries holding up ?
    Which lights are you using.

ulysse
    Free Member

Why not buy a new battery for the solarstorm or do as I and many others have and build your own waterproof balance charged battery packs?

nosedive
    Free Member

His batteries, both fluxient and own brand are superb, they run for twice as long as the rubbish ones that came with my chinese lights. His service and general help is excellent as well.

hambl90
    Free Member

Ulysse, I did think about doing that but a decent battery pack is not that much cheaper than torchys light sets.

Nosedive, thanks for that , it’s exactly what I was hoping to hear.

joebristol

I’m liking what I’m hearing about the lights / batteries.

matt_outandabout

The club lights are three seasons old I think.
    Ours are two.

No issues – apart from crash test son…

ulysse
    Free Member

Mine cost me about £4 for solder, a Jst balance cable, and a few wraps of self amalgamating tape, batteries were salvaged from a Dewalt 18v battery pack, tested batteries and the closest matched to make in to a 2s2p pack.
    Alternatively there is a UK shipping eBay seller does them for about £12 but don’t have all the safety bells and whistles like my homebuild

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks Matt

cookci
    Free Member

Speaking of building your own batteries. Whats the max voltage those solar storms can handle?

I have some spare 12.6 2200mah lipos

ulysse
    Free Member

8.4v I seem to recall
    Split the packs down in to “2 series” by whatever parallel you can, for capacity?
    12 odd volts of your packs at present sound like 3 cells in series

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Got the endurance battery with mine, although not blinding daylight(like exposure) I find it to be a very good spread of light. Battery lasts for 4-6hrs I’ve found. Can’t really fault it apart from the light slightly loosens on the mount, nothing that loctite or superglue won’t fix(when I can be arsed!!!). I ride with a mk10 joystick on my lid & am more than happy.

widge34
    Free Member

I have a solar storm and then bought a battery from Torchy. I also purchased his BK7 light. It’s a bright light, but I was a little disappointed as I expected it to be brighter. It’s not as bright as my two led solar storm.

hambl90
    Free Member

Next question, which should I go for , the bk six or the bk seven . I’ve decided to get one of these but which one for techy singletrack riding.

prawny

Torchy comes up on forums every year for good reason. He’s been around for a good few seasons now and his stuff is excellent.

A mate has one of the BIG fluxient lights and it’s mental, I can’t ride in front of him when he’s got that on, I just end up chasing my shadow around.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Torchy lights’ is closed to new replies.