Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Topeak MTX BeamRack – any good for bikepacking?
  • stormflex
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m new to the forum. I live in Basingstoke, ride both road and MTB and at the end of the summer went on a couple of overnight bivvys – on foot. Although I can’t say they were the best nights sleep I’ve ever had I still enjoyed the experience and am looking at trying out some bikepacking next year on my Boardman Team full suspension.

For my bivvys I put my kit in an Alpkit Stealthy Gourdon (30L) – cheap, old and very bulky Millets sleeping bag (to be replaced), Hunka XL, Pacific Outdoors Peak Elite AC (comfy) and a Jetboil. And, other small odds and sods (headtorch, spork, etc). Due to the size of the sleeping bag the Gourdon was crammed and only just closed.

I’m thinking of buying a Topeak BeamRack and carrying (a smaller lighter) sleeping bag, bivvy bag and sleep mat in a dry bag on it. Does anyone have any experience of these racks – any good?

Also, would like to use my Camelbak Mule for carrying water and a small amount of clothing so will think about perhaps packing my Jetboil in another drybag on the handlebars or in a framebag. Need to think about this.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any advice.

thomthumb
    Free Member

hello amazingstoke 😉

beam racks are ok – but can swing around (the seatpost) and it can be difficult to strap stuff to em.

I use a seatpack from revelate designs

if i was going to get a rack i’d probably buy a freeload

NZCol
    GrahamS

Welcome.

These racks came up recently when I asked about a rack for commuting:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-rear-pannier-rack-for-a-frame-with-no-eyelets-discs-and-cowled-dropouts

I worried about the twisting issue and went for a Carradice SQR Slim instead, which had the advantage of being cheaper.

Jolsa

Used one for bikepacking in the Brecon Beacons a couple of years ago, worked well for me. It can swing around the seatpost if you don’t secure it properly…

d45yth
    Free Member

Have a look at these bags on my bike here. They’re available in different sizes, reasonably priced and come from Poland so the postage is cheap/no import tax.

40mpg

A cheap plastic rack nicked off my daughters bike, for a bit of bikepacking near Winchester last weekend:

PB251068 by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

Worked fine, but my strapping-stuff-on left a little to be desired.

PB261079 by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

Thats ThomThumbs seatpack in the middle, and a Topeak beam rack on the left which did indeed swing round a bit, but not catastrophically.

Any kind of rack will almost certainly de-anodise your shiny black seatpost.

stormflex
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

Revelate and Freeload look great but would need to think long and hard before forking out that kind of money on either, taking into consideration shipping, taxes, etc.

Carradice products are probably more in my price range, as are Bikepack.pl – but still no stock, etc.

Yeah, might rethink my plan and go for a handlebar mount for sleeping clobber and saddlepack for stove/food. Then I can wear my Mule with water and any extra clothing.

Cheers guys 🙂

GrahamS

Surely the good thing about the Topeak rack is that, if you stick to Topeak MTX bags, then you don’t need to strap stuff on because it just slides onto the clip?

GrahamS

Wiggle have the Carradice SQR Slim for £56
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-sqr-slim-bag-including-sqr-bracket/

0 in stock but more due in soon (I have one on back order).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Topeak MTX BeamRack – any good for bikepacking?’ is closed to new replies.