Home Forums Bike Forum Topeak Joe Blow Sport (yellow one) stopped working

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Topeak Joe Blow Sport (yellow one) stopped working
  • cyclistm
    Free Member

My Joe Blow has been faultless but now it pumps a bit of air in, but when pressures get above 25psi (ish) it stops putting air in and the pressure gauge doesn’t work.

A google reveals lots of information on O rings.

I can find a small one in the piston head that looks okay – its on the mechanism that you can pull out – is this the one mentioned?

I can’t work out how to get in the main shaft – anyone been successful in getting into this?

If I get in can i just slap some grease about?

kilo

Mine often packs up, so far just taking it apart, unscrewing it from the bottom of the stand and giving it a bit of a clean seems to work – not had to replace o rings yet – pile of old crap, not a patch on my rennkompressor

boxfish
    Free Member

I recently had the same issue with my 10 year old JoeBlow PX. The O ring in the plunger is not available separately according to extra.co.uk. If you do need to replace it, it comes as part of a rebuild kit (TRK-JBP01 TPK REBUILD KIT – JOE BLOW PX/SPRINT RRP £3.99)

cyclistm
    Free Member

How do I get to the plunger?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

turn the black plastic bit at the top a quarter turn. If you mean the seal on the end of the plunger then i don’t think its in that kit. The rebuild kit DOES NOT have this in

rob-jackson
    Free Member

the O ring has a weird chamfered profile also so not just a standard round one

boxfish
    Free Member
    z1ppy

Not sure what being describe above or how mine differ from the OP’s but you get to he main plunger on mine by unscrewing the cap where the shaft enters the pump body.. couple of flats either side to allow purchase to unscrew.
    I found a regular grease was all mine needed until the spring at the base of the unit rusted through. You get to it by removing the plate at the bottom of the unit. I found all I needed, plunger o-ring, new spring and ‘valve’ for the base all in the rebuild kit from SKS cycles (make sure you get the right kit for your pump).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

box fish – as i said – the o ring is not round in profile, that one is, it doesn’t work. Also states for PX & Sprint Floor Pumps (no mention of sport)

boxfish
    Free Member
    coatesy
    Free Member

Also worth checking the screw on cap opposite where the hose fits to the body, had those work loose and bleed off air a few times.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Mine failed about 3 years ago. Took me a while to find the problem which was a crack in the diaphragm of the pressure gauge. It was OK up to about 30psi then started hissing. Topeak sent a new gauge FOC though which was very kind.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Cheers all – a strip, clean and regrease seems to have worked.

Might get a service pack to keep it running.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Topeak Joe Blow Sport (yellow one) stopped working’ is closed to new replies.