Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Topboy1988 – anyone had any issues with him on this site?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Probably nothing, but I paid this guy for some stuff on classifieds, it failed to turn up and he’s gone very quiet. Through paypal fortunately.

He’s very active on Classifieds – I’m more worried about scams to get get potential bike owning addresses than I am over the loss of a few quid.

bigyinn
    Free Member

He’s not posted anything on STW for 3 weeks now…..

konabona
    Free Member

I paid him 60 quid for a set of wheels three weeks ago, still not arrived.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not sure if this helps – from one of his FS posts: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sram-x0-rear-mec – may be worth investigating further?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I smell a rat.

woody2000

I smell a mahoosive rat!

konabona
    Free Member

I’m hoping PayPal will refund me, I’ll give it till Friday.

ricky1
    Free Member

Yes he has your address but let’s be honest so do a hell of a lot of other people who we all buy stuff from also,I don’t think your sheds/garages are going to get done over,not if he has half a brain,he’s a money grabber,he’s gone now and probably won’t come back,hope he does for your sake konabona,£60 is quite a lot just to give to not receive your wheels.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmmm.

Classifieds only poster……

konabona
    Free Member

Anyone know him from Pinkbike?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Doesnt look good, although a classifieds only poster with a name like topboy, you’ve gotta be wary.

I jokingly asked for some pictures of some rebas he was selling in this thread: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-rt-rebas-in-white-200

He did actually send some through and they looked legit 😀

Perhpa get on the case to paypal, let em know it looks like others are out of pocket aswell. Might be more chance of getting it sorted.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Special_ized_Jamie

Yeah I paid him as well and still waiting on the goods. First time I have had a bad experience on the classifieds, luckily only lost £15

Special_ized_Jamie

Agent just noticed you posted in the same Cateye thread as me, I paid him for the computer and it seems you did too.

We have been scammed I think!

stevied
    Free Member
    stevied
    Free Member
    akira

Computer for the little lady Jamie? Should be able to get something at work but otherwise engaged this week, let me know.

timmys

Golden rule of the internet: Never ever trust an ad that starts “Here I have…”

konabona
    Free Member

First time I’d bought anything through this forum, he(topboy) has kept in touch through email but mostly “yeah they’re in the post mate”.

Which they clearly aren’t.

Special_ized_Jamie

Akira – computer was for me, no garmin yet so I wanted something cheap and cheerful to stick out front.

Sure he will be back on here soon enough under another ID

konabona
    Free Member

Has anybody obtained a refund from PayPal following a dodgy sale on here or another classified forum(not ebsy)?

konabona
    Free Member

tomhoward

Personally no, but it’s very easy to do, assuming youve paid for goods, rather than gift.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I always check peoples posting history on here if they are selling.

If it’s someone who just uses this place to sell I avoid them.

chakaping
    Free Member

I always look both ways before I cross the road.

konabona
    Free Member

Very wise.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks all. Judging from the guy’s texts, he’s barely literate. So not surprising this isnt a very sophisticated scam. I didnt gift the paypal cash, so I’ll get it back.

Wot a n0bber, 30 minutes of his time to scam £15, which is what he must have taken to get that out of me. Now he needs a new paypal account and email address.

wwaswas

anyone else affected don’t leave it too long to raise a Paypal complaint – I think there’s a time limit?

chakaping
    Free Member

Very wise.

For the record, I’m sympathetic toward the scammed STWers here and was attempting to point out the unhelpfulness of the post above mine.

konabona
    Free Member

Hopefully ill get my 67.25 back, I’m more peeved with the fact I’m not going to be getting new wheels.

]Thanks all. Judging from the guy’s texts, he’s barely literate. 

I know exactly what you mean.

konabona
    Free Member

Have you guys raised it with paypal yet? I’m hoping the more complaints the easier the refund!

takisawa2

Has anybody obtained a refund from PayPal following a dodgy sale on here or another classified forum(not ebsy)?

Yes. Chap selling a superstar hub.
    You have to raise it as a dispute, then escalate it after 2 weeks.
    Paypal refunded me about 3 days later.

Was someone calling himself foozii.
    See HERE

Drac

Sorry to hear that folks we’ve suspended his account on here now to try and prevent others from being conned.

takisawa2

Just to add, I used Paypal gift, but luckily I sent it normal Paypal & sent the bit Paypal knocked off as a gift.

user-removed
    Free Member

konabona – Member

Yup – bought a rebuilt old Kona, supposedly in good working order. It was a shambles – unrideable. Asked for a refund, got told to Eff off and went through Paypal as above ^^^ Escalate, dispute. Still lost out on return courier and the whole thing was a massive pain – Paypal is staffed by snarky 10 year olds who enjoy making the process as hard as possible (I truly believe this).

Got my money back though.

stevied
    Free Member

Good work Drac. Is it worth informing Pinkbike too, linking to this thread?

ryderredman
    Free Member

From looking on pinkbike it looks like he stole someones bombers that they maybe tried to ambush him with…

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Looks like he has robbed a few, as long as you followed forum guidelines on PayPal payment you will certainly get refund.

I just can not understand what’s the point.

konabona
    Free Member

[/quote]Yup – bought a rebuilt old Kona, supposedly in good working order. It was a shambles – unrideable.

Sounds like my bike 😆

Thanks for all the info people, I’ve escalated it to a dispute so here’s hoping.

BoardinBob

Hope everyone gets their money back, but surely any time you buy from someone on here, you check their posting history first? To be honest, I’ve got no problem with people just using the classifieds, unless it’s blatantly traders using it, but if someone has no interest in the chat side and want’s to sell a few bits, I think that’s ok.

However, what should create alarm is posts like this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hayes-stroker-ryder-hydro-brakes-and-routors

Seeing that in a posters history would immediately put a stop to any sales for me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Topboy1988 – anyone had any issues with him on this site?’ is closed to new replies.