Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Top tips for getting Rocket Ron onto 29er Crest rims please
  • robbo
    Free Member

After a very frustrating day yesterday and three separate attempts at getting Rons onto my new 29er Crest rims (with tubes) I’ve given up. I can get the first bead in with help from a lever but there doesn’t appear to be enough room to get the other bead down into the well of the rim to get it in. I’m thinking the rim strip could be the problem as it could be stopping the beads getting down far enough. A thinner rim tape might help? Or just bite the bullet and do a proper stans tireless kit which might be easier to fit? Opinions/tips/strong thumbs needed…

br
    Free Member

all you need is the 25mm yellow stans tape, and then levers if req.

honourablegeorge

Don’t need a rim strip with crests.

Andy_Baz

No experience of RRs but I had a similar problem putting ignitors onto crest rims. I think what worked in the end was pushing the first bead out of the well completely before trying to fit the second. This seemed to create enough space for the second bead to go on easily.

Pridds

Just fitted a set tubeless to my new 29r hope hoops and It was bit tight. The yellow tape that you will need if you want to go tubeless is thinner than the green stuff that comes as standard so trying that might be a good place to start. Then if you want to tubeless later alL you need are the tyres and some of the stans valves. If .you do decide to get the yellow tape then have a look at the videoes on the stans site as fitting it is a bit more involved than just sticking it to the rim.
    Yellow tape here
    http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=47

robbo
    Free Member

Hmmm… Might as well go the whole hog as its a tenner just for the tape!

Clobber
    Free Member

Probably need a 29er version of the tyre to match the 29er rim… ;o)

Shorty121
    Free Member

Clobber – 😆

robbo
    Free Member

Shit forgot to check that Clobber! Decided to go tubeless after all – wish me luck!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

That’s very odd, my Rocket Ron 29er’s fall on and off the Crests with ease, no fight at all.

robbo
    Free Member

Well they do go on a little easier with the stans yellow tape but now they aren’t inflating straight like the beads aren’t moving up out of the well when I inflate. The wheel now looks buckled! Currently with tubes in and I didn’t use soap and water before inflating. Is that the problem? Thoroughly fed up with these rims. Wish I’d gone for some normal rims…

gee
    Free Member

Not being funny but the problem isn’t the rims. I have the same exact setup no problems. Those rims often need 40 psi tubeless and 50 psi tubed to get the tyre to seat. Try a squint of GT85 on the tyre bead. Either that or just cut some valves out of an old inner tube and run them tubeless with those and some insulation tape.

GB

Candodavid
    Free Member

my hans dampf and racing ralph went on first time tubeless with a track pump no problem…how strange

tazzymtb

Not being funny but the problem isn’t the rims

+1

and

I didn’t use soap and water before inflating.

man who doesn’t read instructions or look at the “how to” section the stans website has issues, yet clearly the rims are at fault 🙄

my rons and crest 29ers with yellow tape were a doddle to fit, but then I know what I’m doing 😆

redfordrider
    Free Member

My 29er rocket rons wobble alarmingly even though the rims are true. I’ve had no problems fitting them to ZTR rims.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Im after a rear wheel if you must get rid!!!

robbo
    Free Member

Ok I’ll try the soap thing. I thought it was only necessary when installing tubeless. I’m just used to easy 26 in manic rims. Must try harder…

robbo
    Free Member

And the top tip goes to GB!!!!! GT85 is a wondrous thing – helped the type go on first then the beads seated a 50 psi.

Thanks George.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Top tips for getting Rocket Ron onto 29er Crest rims please’ is closed to new replies.