Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Top ten road descenders……who else is missing?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member
    mtbmatt
    Free Member

On what basis? The one (admittedly rather good) chase back to the bunch from a few years back?

Haze

Disappointed my top 10 (strava) descent of the Col d’Izoard didn’t get a mention…

Rickos
    Free Member

Cadel Evans was a terrible descender simply because he was descending on pavement as he would on the dirt: keeping his bodyweight over the frame, essential to retaining traction in dirt, yet impractical on the road.

So how should it be done on the road?

tomhoward

Me. Cuz, y’know, I’m a mountain biker, therefore I have exellent bike handling skills. [/liggett]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lemond was excellent, imho.

Rickos
    Free Member

They do mention Cancellara in the Hushovd page, but clearly not a top ten by their standards.

hora
    Free Member

Who was the yellow jersey chap who had a puncture and had to do a mad fast solo descent through mountain bends to catch up?

Shleck or Contador?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Spartacus did that. I doubt it was either of the Schlecks, they’re notorious for being a bit nervous on the downhills.

njee20
    Free Member

Who was the yellow jersey chap who had a puncture and had to do a mad fast solo descent through mountain bends to catch up?

Cancellara…

I’d add Cipollini to that list too, although it wasn’t really a skill he exploited during his career.

hora
    Free Member

Yep!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

doubt it was either of the Schlecks, they’re notorious for being a bit nervous pair of whining pussies on the downhills.

FTFY.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sagan Switzerland this year- crazy.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Cipollini

I love the Bond videos!

http://vimeo.com/48158576

gooner69

Cant argue much with the list, the famous chase back by Canc was to a tempo peleton and through the team cars.
    Cars on those hairpins are almost stationary at times. So although it looks great in reality it wasn’t the most difficult chase.

ninfan
    Free Member

No Delgado?

Worth it just for the Kamikaze (2 minutes in)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpuvoogzXoo[/video]

bob_summers

I’d add Garate to the list too.

I rode with Olano (#8 on the list) on Sunday, even in his mid 40s is frighteningly fast on wet descents.

mefty
    Free Member

cavendish would argue the great descending takes place at the back of the peloton so they can make the time cut, but this isn’t covered by the cameras. By all accounts, Sean Yates was a demon but not to win the race but to be in the valley to take the wind for his leader.

crazy-legs

cavendish would argue the great descending takes place at the back of the peloton so they can make the time cut, but this isn’t covered by the cameras.

+1
    Cav is probably one of the best descenders. Sprinters tend to have that “no fear” assistance and they’re used to handling their bikes at high speed. The back of the bunch is the place to watch on descents as people try and chase back on.

Vincenzo Nibali is the other name that crops up a lot when roadies talk about good descenders.

mrblobby
    Free Member

cavendish would argue the great descending takes place at the back of the peloton so they can make the time cut, but this isn’t covered by the cameras.

Would be great to see some descent times. Heavier guys, more power, less fear, trying to make the time cut, would be very interesting.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Top ten road descenders……who else is missing?’ is closed to new replies.