Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Top swing mechs….
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

…any reason not to use one on a HT ??

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

My Evil came with an XT top pull originally but I changed it for a traditional one because;

– the return spring sits behind the seattube, so reducing mud clearance
    – the way the mech is made forms a shelf between the cage and the seat tube which I found filled with mud then compacted, eventually stopping the mech from shifting to granny. I was able to fix this by putting a bit of foam behind the cage though, which filled the void keeping the mud out and compressed as needed. was fiddly though and sometimes the foam would fall out

OTOH, the band on the traditional mech (and the pull point) sits a lot higher than the top pull version though so because the Evil has a very steeply sloped top tube, the cable stop is a bit low and so it doesn't work as smoothly (the angles aren't as good) so a lot depends on your frame design.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thanks, think I'll go with a trad pull mech then, didn't think about the mud collecting factor !

nickc

Top swing tend to go wobbly more quickly.

D0NK

Yeah trad pulls are more mud tolerant and last longer. Unfortunatley the last one I bought wouldn't fit on either of my frames I tried it on, either swingarm or bottle boss was in the way. Grrr.

zaskar
    Free Member

I switched from swing to conventional as my cable guid was welded at angle and made the wire and cable end strained.

Otherwise it would have been fine.

walleater

I've had a top swing on my PA for years and it's still going strong. It only ever has to change between two rings and has a pretty easy life though. I do prefer the look of top swing mechs but conventional is a more sensible choice.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Well, I'm going to use it for a double ring PA as well, glad to hear TS works, still undecided 😕

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Top swing mechs….’ is closed to new replies.