Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Top ride around Glentrool – pics and a few comments
  • simonralli2
    Free Member

I had a fantastic day today at Glentrool where I have not ridden before. Parked at the visitor centre, and then along the road to Bruce’s Stone:

IMG_0001 by simon ralli, on Flickr

I was pretty cold, but decided to head on up to the Giant’s Axe Head stane, and I am pleased I did as there was a great view of Loch Dee. On the way I met a chap who was on his way around the whole darn lot (58km loop).

IMG_0016 by simon ralli, on Flickr

Then I decided to head back via the SUW, which I was told 100% ridable. For me, it was more a case of around 60% ridable, but I am sure most of you would have been able to clear much more. It was rocky technical singletrack but with some brilliant little sections. It also had some good views of Loch Trool, as you do not actually see it riding the other side due to the trees.

IMG_0034 by simon ralli, on Flickr

I had intended to ride the SUW all the way back to the start, but I made a minor hash of my navigation, and ended up riding back on part of the way I came.

I then stopped at my car for a roll, and then carried on and did the blue route. While for me the climb was nothing to write home about, if you have kids, then I am sure they would have got a big sense of achievement making it up to the top, which was here:

October 24th by simon ralli, on Flickr

From this point the singletrack is in two sections, an exposed part and then into the woods. And what I descent – I loved it! Ok, it is not exactly Glentress, but the trail builders I feel have created a really fun descent with what seemed like an endless number of big berms. These berms carried on in the wooded section, so you could just rag down all the way. A really excellent piece of trail.

I guess the only shame is that Glentrool is a bit out of the way for most people to get to. Trekster and I were talking about Ae, as we rode there on Thursday. It is a shame Ae doesn’t have this style of blue descent, so people could do that instead say of the Omega Man.

I have two little observations – shame there was no bike wash, and also the coffee wasn’t as good as the stupidly strong brew at Ae cafe, but these are minor points. There seemed to be quite a few families, and couples out having a lot of fun, although I didn’t see anyone on the Blue route which was not surprising as Glentrool is one of the lesser visited Stanes.

Also, for me the route was about the views, so it is not really one for people who like big thrills on the trails, although the SUW has some really tasty and dare I say slightly testing (for me) sections. I am really glad I did this, and think the combination I did really is a good route for when the weather is good.

So that is me now having done 6 of 7 Stanes (or maybe 7 of 8 if you separate Glentress from Innerleithen). I am not really that motivated to do Newcastleton really, but very happy with my big day out.

A few more pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/sets/72157625106190883/

mangoridebike

nice write up Simon.

Thank you 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Well Glentrool I feel is the forgotten Stane, and the route I describe makes for an excellent day out 😀 The Blue downhill is just brilliant for someone like me, and I think many others too.

ART

Lovely pics – looks gorgeous, nice write up. 🙂

fizzer
    Free Member

I usually tack Glentrool onto Kirroughtree after Heartbreak Hill. Makes a super big day out in big country.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Yeah – what I would like to do is maybe start at Glentrool, then ride to Heartbreak Hill, and then you have all that singletrack back to Kirroughtree. I don’t though have a suitable partner of any persuasion to collect me. I’d never make it all the way around.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Top ride around Glentrool – pics and a few comments’ is closed to new replies.