Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)
  • Top Gear – Clarkson in "IDIOT" shocker!
  • Jamie
    Free Member

female pillocks watch hollyoaks, male pillocks watch top gear.. it’s just a fact of life

…and generalising pillocks, generalise, generally.

yunki
    Free Member

uh oh.. a saucer of milk for the wee acerbic top gear fan 🙄

RustySpanner

I’ve just watched it too.

That bit where he crashed the bus into that parked car – just brilliant!
    I can see what I’ve been missing this series.

And calling Vettel ‘ze German’:
    Fantastic – tuck me in, I think I’ve prolapsed laughing so much. 😀

I’ve had an idea for the next series – it involves playing football, but using cars instead of players!
    I know, it’s a bit far out, but I think this bunch of wacky funsters might just go for it.

piemonster

Piemonster, Rule 34, I believe.

That’s the second thing I’ve leant from this forum today.

Although I have forgotten what the first thing was.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rusty, did you not just wet yourself at the three point turn in the village? And all those little urchins being shooed off by grumpy James? Hilarious I tell ya.

Jamie
    Free Member

I imagine your fav bit was the F1 cars, Darcy 😀

tinybits
    Free Member

Could someone point me towards the TG Le Mans special please, I seem to have missed it and I rather enjoy it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I imagine your fav bit was the F1 cars, Darcy

8)

Still speechless.

RustySpanner

I’m just mopping up now DD.
    And the little one – he pulls such funny faces!

Seriously though, I’ve got to go as I’m re-papering the loo in Union Jack wallpaper.
    I feel that the complete and utter failure of our UK owned large scale vehicle manufacturers over the past century should be celebrated in style.

Hurrah for us!

Jamie
    Free Member

Still speechless.

Just as long as you wiped yourself down, that’s the main thing.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Rusty…what I don’t get is why you watch it? You obviously don’t like it on any level, so why bother? Is it just so you can come over all Daily Mail and be outraged?

It’s not the fact that you don’t like it, it’s that you still watch it.

I will agree that the format is getting tired and they’re repeating the same stuff…car football being one. I enjoyed it when they tested semi sensible cars…episodes like when they took the Z4, Boxster and S2000 to the Isle of Man or Clarksons test of the M3 CSL were genuinely enjoyable. I enjoy the super ar tests, but its pretty much all they do these days.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIT_manufacturing

It wasn’t just that we fracked-up, it was also that Toyota etc had some serious quality ideas….

yunki
    Free Member

I enjoyed it when they tested semi sensible cars.

bring back Tiff Needell

RustySpanner

mindmap3 – Member

Rusty…what I don’t get is why you watch it? You obviously don’t like it on any level, so why bother? Is it just so you can come over all Daily Mail and be outraged?

I don’t usually.
    If there’s a car or item I’m particularly interested in, I’ll give it a go.

Sadly, every series seems to have become a weaker, lazier, more patronising cliche than the one before.

I used to quite like it, before it became a children’s programme.

Now it seems to solely appeal to the testosterone fuelled wet dreams
    of pre-pubescent boys – the 21st century equivalent of the Countach poster from Athena.

It’s Last Of The Summer Wine for a younger generation. It’s even got the same time slot.

Never liked Clarkson though – either as a print ot TV journalist.
    Always struck me a a genuinely unpleasant, supercillious bell-end and he just gets worse with age.

Drac

Now it seems to solely appeal to the testosterone fuelled wet dreams
    of pre-pubescent boys – the 21st century equivalent of the Countach poster from Athena.

Aye it’s ace. I had both those posters too.

RustySpanner

So did I – Tennis Girl too. 🙂

You’re not taking my corruscating critique of the dumbing down of popular motoring culture seriously are you? 😀

I have no issue with the worship of speed – I like cars, bikes, noisy engines and being a bit naughty in motor vehicles.

It’s the elevation of the banal and the revelling in ignorance I can’t stand.

This from the country that gave us Leonard Setright, George Bishop, Russell Bulgin, Phil Llewellyn and Kevin Ash.

cynic-al
    Free Member

RustySpanner

Oh shut up, we enjoy it. 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Rusty…it has definitely got weaker. This format has run its course, although it does still have its mo nets.

Yunki…Tiff has become a poor mans Clarkson. On the last serious of Fifth Gear he kept on banging on about power, I need more power etc when they were doing the team test. He does have more serious moments though.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tiff and Vicki can really drive too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I can’t stop staring at Al’s pic…

chiefgrooveguru

This from the country that gave us Leonard Setright, George Bishop, Russell Bulgin, Phil Llewellyn…

I grew up reading their columns (and still re-read them – much to my wife’s disappointment at how anyone can need so many old magazines – with my regular pronouncement “they’re all dead now…”), continue to hunt out LJK’s various books and still usually enjoy Top Gear. It reached a low point a few series back but there’s more content now, more intelligence and less silliness (this is all relative – it’s not Setright (who I disagreed with in equal measure to Clarkson’s buffoonery) at his most highbrow by any means!)

Clarkson himself has referred to being a product of CAR magazine, growing up reading it in the ’70s, as is May (who was a columnist in his post-Autocar days). Around 1990 CAR was doing similar challenges to those pioneered on TV with new TG, with May himself being involved, though I think Goodwin and Bremner were the originators.

Last night’s finale will be seen globally and, by putting British vehicle manufacturing in such a positive light, probably contribute even more to the British economy than Top Gear’s own vast net profit from overseas revenue.

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Al, which one is you?

Like it or loathe it- 6 pages proves it works. It don’t matter what they are saying as long as they’re talking about it…..

RustySpanner

I’ve always liked May’s print journalism (as long as he keeps his political views to himself), but can’t remember reading one single decent piece by JC – his articles were always about him, not about the car.

If he did grow up with the CAR of the 70’s, he seems to have forgotten most of it now.

Around 1990 CAR was doing similar challenges to those pioneered on TV with new TG, with May himself being involved, though I think Goodwin and Bremner were the originators.

I liked those – they were done with intelligence and humour – BIKE still does them now and they are excellent.

I often disagreed with LJK too, especially about automatic transmissions, but I was always challenged, intrigued and delighted by his intelligence and passion.
    Clarkson is the exact opposite – a celebration of ignorance and mindlesness – a triumph of base emotion over intellect.
    Which makes me sad.

chiefgrooveguru

On another subject, has anyone else noticed that the third man from series one never made it to Dave?

I suppose if you disliked Clarkson enough (easily done!) you could manage to ignore anything he does with passion, feeling or (dare I say it?) intelligence and not appreciate the humour or self-deprecation. The only time I’ve observed Clarkson being a “celebration of ignorance and mindlessness” is when reading his column in The Sun whilst at the counter in my local chippy. That is an absolute travesty but completely in sync with everything written by Murdoch’s ministry of truth for the proletariat…

Motorworld was rather good. I’d still like to drive a Bristol. LJKS would approve of my car’s engine but not of its centre of gravity (though it’s lower than it used to be…) Drive On is good reading btw. Long Lane With Turnings is painfully short… 🙁

Woody
    Free Member

Funny thread 😆

I’m one of those imbeciles who watch TG and follow JC on twitter.

I’m also certain he would be highly amused at some of the ‘intellectuals’ on this thread as he laughs all the way to the bank!

Viewing 26 posts - 161 through 186 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear – Clarkson in "IDIOT" shocker!’ is closed to new replies.