Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Top cycling reads.
  • ton

just finished reading ‘Take a seat’ by Dominic Gill

1 man on a tandem, riding from top of alaska to bottom of argentina, picking people up to ride on the back, along the way.

top read. 8)

Bregante

I like the sound of that.

Added to Amazon Xmas list 🙂

andrewy

I’m half way through ‘How I won the yellow jumper’ by Ned Boulting, and it’s very entertaining. Recommended!

Waderider
    Free Member

‘Bicycle’ by David V. Herlihy is a good book on the development of the bike. Compulsory for any rabid cycling fan of any sub-discipline.

crazy-legs

Another vote for How I Won The Yellow Jumper by Ned Boulting. Very funny.
    I found David Millar’s book, Racing Through The Dark almost un-put-downable (is that word?).

And Alistair Humphreys books about his ride round the world are excellent. Moods of Future Joys is the first part, Thunder and Sunshine is the second instalment although you can read either of them by themselves.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Frankly I found Boulting’s book a bit tedious.

These are better

We Were Young and Carefree- Laurent Fignon’s autobiography

Slaying the Badger- Richard Moore

The Rider- Tim Krabbe

Its All About the Bike- Robert Penn

Tour de France: The History, the Legend, the Riders- Graham Fife

ton

i dont really enjoy books about racing to be honest, i do however love books about cycle travel.

bikes up killimanjaro, and journey to the center of the earth, by the Cranes are two of my faves.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just read Millar’s book (excellent) and also “A Race for Idiots – A History of the Tour de France” which was also pretty good.

fourbanger
    Free Member

The Hungry Cyclist – Tom Kevill Davies
    Cycles around, eats local food. My motivation for touring as well!
    Good website that doesn’t appear to be working right now..
    http://www.thehungrycyclist.com/

Nick

The Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook is great, I won it in last year’s WRT raffle. Has some top advice which really gets your mind going, plus some fantastic anecdotes from people who have done it and got the t-shirt.

The book’s web-site

ton

nick, got it, and read it cover to cover a couple of times.
    the touring tales in the last section are fantastic.

tang
    Free Member

French revoltions, great fun.

turboferret

Just finished One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter – middle aged journalist decides to cycle around the coastline of Britain. Most enjoyable.

Also appreciated The Man Who Cycled The World by Mark Beaumont, got his American one yet to read.

Cheers, Rich

rob
    Free Member

Not a book but this is very funny read
    over the pyrenees with a mentalist

project
    Free Member

Mark Cavendishes book very good,

yellow jumper, a bit dragged out,

Bradley Wiggins, in pursuit of glory,

On Tour, Bradley Wiggins, good read, great pictures,

Skys the limit the story of Sky,s cycling team and British cyclings input, great book,

All available from bookdepository and free delivery world wide.

David Millars book next,

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

@Ton – if you like touring reads , Cycling Back From Siberia is pretty good. I also enjoyed Kings of the Mountains, about Colombian cyclists, intresting how it ties in with the Escobar cartel and the politics of the region

stevious

The Rider by Tim Krabbe is a miniature work of genius.

Made me want to race bikes more.

The Cranes’ “Journey to the Centre of the Earth” – spectacular/inspiring/mad. Their kit list is just insane. Even better is “Running the Himalayas” – 2,500 miles over the Himalayas in 100 days. No tent! Crazy and brilliant. Those were the days…

Duggan

I found The Death of Marco Pantani by Matt Rendell to be very good, well researched and informative. Obviously it’s not exactly a feel-good story though.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

David Millar’s book is very readable and unputdownable (! as already mentioned) and I dislike the bloke (not to be discussed in this thread!).
    Cav’s book was fascinating. Don’t bother with “sex lies and handlebar tape” tedious, a lot of the Marco Pantani books are tedious.
    Chris Hoy’s autobiography is interesting, Brad Wiggins just goes on about his near alcoholism after the Olympics (Athens IIRC). Ned Boulting’s book I really enjoyed.

That one about eating around the world I found really dull. Horses for causes.

stucol
    Free Member

Have read the usual suspects, Pantani, Millar, Simpson, Kimmage, Armstrong, Obree and Beaumont.

For a more gentle read, the books by Edward Enfield of his slow tours in Europe are actually very good. Find myself using google images to see where he rode.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve recently read:
    Bradley Wiggins – In pursuit of glory
    The death of Marco Pantani – Matt Rendle
    Chasing the Hour – Dr Hutch

And they’re all good reads

And i’m currently reading one about riding home from Russia, it’s pretty good, can’t remember the title though

ton

anyone fancy a book swap?

your ride ‘home from siberia’ book for my ‘take a seat’ tandem book?

jameso

I’d do you that swap Ton, I read Cycling Home from Siberia in nearly one sitting, most of it during a long-haul flight, it’s brilliant. Possibly the best cycle trravel book I’ve read, just very entertaining and down to earth read-able. I was just posting to say the tandem book sounds good..

Another recommendation on those lines is Alistair Humphreys’ Moods of Future Joys. I just started the second book of his round-the-world trip after enjoying Moods so much. Gives me itchy feet.. )

crazy-legs

Cav’s book was fascinating.

Problem with Cav’s book, while it’s very good and I have a huge amount of admiration for the guy, it just feels like an attempt to cash in. Stops half way through his career; doesn’t include the Green Jersey or the World Championships obviously but you know there’s just so much more to come from Cav.

He’s good value on Twitter though. 🙂

ton

jameso, ygm mate.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That’s becuase the Cav book was written a good 2-3 years ago and he hasn’t updated it since! He even credits his the fiancee, childhood sweetheart Melissa!

Oh BAd Blood by Jeremy Whittle. i’m fascinated in all the drugs books, on which note from Lance to Landis but David Walsh. Breaking the chain – Willy Voet.

Oh and The Flying Scotsman – Graeme obree, fascinating book about his struggle with mental health.
    The Escape Artist – Matt Seaton.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Josie Dew ?

jameso

^ that reminds me, I have Sun In My Eyes somewhere, must read it.

The 2 TD racer-writer books, The Cordillera series, are good – short stories from epic rides.

kcr
    Free Member

A few touring standards from the era preceding the current crop of two wheeled expedition books:

“Full Tilt” by Dervla Murphy is a classic touring book. She set off from Ireland to ride to India in 1963 (one of the hardest European winters in recent history) packing a pistol as part of her luggage.

As a counterpoint to Mark Beaumont et al, “Round the World on a Bicycle” by Thomas Stevens, who was the first person to pedal round the world (in 1884, on a penny-farthing) You can download this for free from Project Gutenberg

“Wind in my Wheels” by Josie Dew. Josie has been touring for over 25 years now, and has produced a string of books about various far flung places.

Freddy Maertens autobiography “Fall From Grace” is a good read if you can borrow it from someone. There are currently 2 used copies on Amazon, at an eye-popping £92! The Cavendish of his era, Maertens is remarkably candid about the cheating and skulduggery in pro cycling, talking about drugs and selling stage wins to other riders.

ton

i have a box in the loft, with a load of cycle touring/adventure books.
    i will get em down and dust em off, if anyone is interested in some book swaps?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Robert Penn’s ‘It’s all About the Bike’ is a great one for us serial bike builders – follows his journey to various parts of the globe hand-picking all the parts for the ultimate bike.

boxelder
    jameso

Keep me posted on the swaps.. I have way too many cycling and mountaineering / climbing / adventure books )

Anyone else for starting a book-swap-list round?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The hour by michael hutch – great read.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Ned Boulting book. But more for what it revealed about making TV programs.

I’ve got a stack to read including the Millar one and the Robert Penn one.

I enjoyed Le Tour by geoffrey wheatcroft. A great primer.

I read Bad Blood as well. Interesting insight into the darker side of racing although I’m not entirely convinced by the author.

tang
    Free Member

I’m in, got groaning shelves of adventure.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Three Men on a Bike. 3 students decide to ride the length of Africa on The Goodies trandem. Mad. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Canongate-Classic-Goodies-Inspired/dp/086241542X

jameso

Post up your swaps on this / another thread? Or use the Wanted forum?

jamesr
    Free Member

The Rider is brilliant.
    Most of the books mentioned above are worth a look, along with ‘Bad Blood’ by Jeremy Whittle and Allan Peiper’s biography.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Top cycling reads.’ is closed to new replies.