Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Top 5 places to visit in Scotland (Motorhome holiday)
  • squin
    Free Member

Going to Scotland with a hired motor home and have been looking at different stop-overs for weeks and weeks. Got a bit confused now so:

– What would be your top 5 places to visit (we're heading up the west coast)?
    – Where are good/beautiful stopovers (ideally FOC to help keep costs down, I suppose I have this idea of waking up with a vista of mountains lochs and beaches?

Thanks in advance.

Stu.

bruneep

I suppose I have this idea of waking up with a vista of mountains lochs and beaches?

Its nae all lochs and mountains……

It will soon be midge time on the west coast http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

geoffj

I'll start you off one. Red Point near Gairloch (google for exact location). Nice layby with great sea view.
    For paid for accommodation, Camusdarach Camping Site in Arisaig is hard to better for views.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sango sands in Durness.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

North West Highlands between Ullapool and Tongue. Great roads, amazing landscape and lots of Maseratis……yes really

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I suppose I have this idea of waking up with a vista of mountains lochs and beaches?<

The good Scottish landscape fairy shall grant your wish 😉

Arisaig is good but you might be jostling with others for the privelage. Anywhere around Achiltibuie (sp) is good, road to Diabeg, Mellon Udrigill's a wee gem, Loch Maree, Applecross. Harris the daddy of them all but that requires a ferry.

richmtb

+1 for Applecross and Torridon, Glen Affric is absolutely stunning as well as is Glen Etive. For peace and quiet and amazing scenery take the Corran ferry and explore the Ardnamurchan peninsula. Its still on the mainland but feels like and island as its so quiet

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Torridon

Glencoe
    Skye (Black cuillins, Glen Brittle, Portree)

Trekster

Portpatrick on the way to the ferry across to Dunoon, wake up by the shore to a site of seals basking along the shores

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Mellon Udrigle

epicyclo

Do the Hebrides. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Pook

+1 ardnamurchan. Look up sanna bay and the singing sands in the area too

StefMcDef
    Free Member

On your way back doon the road to Engerlundcestershire, you might want to break the journey up with a wee detour and stop in at Kippford in Dumfriesshire.

Beautiful coastal location looking out over the Solway Firth, nice wee pub and handy for Dalbeattie Seven Stanes track.

Can't remember off the top of my head but I think there's a campsite there as well.

crazy-legs

Not far from Arisaig, Sands of Morar.
    Google images and you'll see why.

🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Glencoe.
    Mallaig (or the beaches nearby)
    Skye.
    Glasgow for Kelvingrove Museum

mugsys_m8

Bettyhill.

chickenman

Big Sands campsite, Gairloch

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Ardkinglas woodland, scone palace, dunkeld, drumlanrig, but im a tree buff, and there's great collections at these places

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

ardnamurchan

skye

and sandy bay right up the top!

geoffj

Ardnamurchan is OK,, but don't plan on being able to stop for the night. The locals have blocked up all free to use spots and they will challenge you if you try to set up camp in the parking for the beach.

Xan
    Free Member

Plenty of choice here……

Glencoe
    Fort William (Spend some time on the Red XC trail)
    Arasaig(nice walks and
    Mallaig
    Skye (if you want to Cross the water)
    Torridon (great biking, see this months MBR)
    Lochgilphead
    Mull (again need to cross the water)
    Ballachulish
    Kinlochleven

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Definitely Torridon – best loop in the UK. IIRC there is a motorhome stop/campsite place in Sheildaig which has a top pub and fish restaurant.

And Glencoe – Glencoe to KLL and back – don't do the Ciaran path though – it's horrible

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Top 5 places to visit in Scotland (Motorhome holiday)’ is closed to new replies.