• This topic has 51 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Top 5 must do/classic North of England rides…
  • vondally
    Free Member

so the definition of North englans is south od the scottish border line north of cannock, irish sea to north sea and this excludes Wales.
    Ride means pedalling/ climbing not pushing the bike to the top.

All else is open to discussion.

So what are the 5 must do/best rides in order

martymac

A689 bishop auckland to alston.
    about 43 miles, great scenery, you may exceed 60mph on a couple of the downs, alston is the highest market town in england i believe.
    EDIT: all road.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fred Whitton challenge

Junkyard
    Free Member

coast to coast on or off road

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The MTL.

48 miles to tick off. Don’t think I’d bother again now I’ve done it though but glad I did it. Perhaps anticlockwise if I did it a second time

I’d say High Street as a must do ride but not sure I’d do that again either. Only good if it’s bone dry.

ton

100 mile offroader in the yorkshire dales. did one about 10yrs ago and it nearly killed me.

lemonysam
    Free Member

A689 bishop auckland to alston.
    about 43 miles, great scenery, you may exceed 60mph on a couple of the downs, alston is the highest market town in england i believe.
    EDIT: all road.

You can do an equally good off-road version.

vondally
    Free Member

The MTL ?

higgo
    Free Member

The MTL ?

Mary Towneley Loop.

Done it. Glad I did it. Won’t do it again. Not in my top 5.

Sancho
    Free Member

Just spend all day around Bingley, the best trails in the North of England

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes I never drive to the lakes when I can drive to Bingley 😕

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Lakeland Lugger

big_n_daft
    Free Member

vondally – Member

The MTL ?

which part of “no” don’t you understand 😉

d45yth
    Free Member

I always enjoy the ride from Sedburgh that goes up The Calf (Howgill Fells). Great when the weather’s nice. The Bowderdale Valley goes on for ages too.
    I think it was once described in Singletrack as being like ‘the mountains of the Lakes, draped with the grassy carpet of the Dales’! Something like that anyway. 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, I’d agree ‘that’ Howgills ride has to be one. Great ride with epic amounts of climbing and descending and some of the most amazing views I’ve ever seen… Stunning.

I’d go with Bingley too. The short introduction Mugboo and Simon gave me a couple of months back really whetted my appetite.

Obviously Cut Gate goes on the list as well.

Calderdale ‘Classic’? Hebden to Widdop, down the Gorple road, past the windfarm on Long Causeway, through the golf club, into the valley, out the other side to Mankinholes, along the London Road, find a fun way to finish (Kebab St or Birthday X).

crush83
    Free Member

sherwood pines . . . . .

just kidding

pennine
    Free Member

Just spend all day around Bingley, the best trails in the North of England

😆 Sancho – that might be pushing it a bit 😉 btw Bingley is on my doorstep

Baldysquirt

Cut Gate
    The Lakes “three passes” Gatesgarth, Nan Beild & Garburn
    Something south lakes always makes me grin.

freeridenick
    Free Member

the best rides are a push/carry

ullock pike
    4 passes etc

d45yth
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member

the best rides are a push/carry

ullock pike
    4 passes etc
    You can’t mention that in a public place! 😆

grum
    Free Member

For me, one would involve some combination of most of the Grizedale forest BWs, Claife Heights, and then Elterwater/Loughrigg Terrace/Fell and maybe Jenkin Crag (not that I’m fit enough to do all that in one go 🙂 ). No pushing/carrying involved just great riding and some amazing views.

+1 for the Howgills ride

Not a long ride but I love going from Keswick along the old railway line, then up and round Lonscale Fell and back down Spoony Green Lane.

Not sure about any others.

freeridenick
    Free Member

d45yth – typo sorry

I meant Wallop Tike.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Grum – could you mail me a rough guide to a good claife / grizedale route? Know quite a bit if the grizedale and breasty haw stuff but never been into claife and there’s a few of us staying in sawrey in September .

Ta , Dave

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I agree with (freeride)Nick, you can’t have a classic ride in the North of England that doesn’t include some push/carry.

3 Passes (what’s the 4th?)
    Helvelyn via Dubbs, Dollywagon & Grizedale
    Howgills (Calf & Bowderdale)
    Skiddaw (+“Wallop Tike” and then clockwise tour of Skiddaw)
    Tour of Coniston

[EDIT] Then there’s
    High Cup Nick & Cross Fell
    Ladybower, Cut gate & WLT
    Ladybower, Jaggers Clough, Rushup Edge, Cavedale, Hope Cross and Gores [/EDIT]

Sancho
    Free Member

Bingley is ace, I live fairly near, so have a 7 mile ride down the canal to get there, but its got so much happening in such a small area, it’s just brilliant.

Dont get me wrong when I want a big epic day out, I love the Lakes, doing passes, carrying the bike, packed lunch, etc etc, love Breasty Haw, and Grizedale, but two very different days riding and so in my view equally worth riding.

ton

think i am gonna drag the leccy beast round the Howgills route in a couple of weeks.
    so if anyone fancies it let me know.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cow Green Res/High Cup Nick/DuftonFell/Cross Fell is rather nice.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Ecky

seatoller – Honister – scarth gap – black sail – sty head – seatoller

best big day out in the country I reckon.

d45yth
    Free Member

What’s the one that takes in Scarth Gap, Black Sail, Styhead and Honister? Is that the 4 Passes?
    The Borrowdale Bash with the cheeky bits added, so you don’t end up with as much tarmac. That’s where I’m going after I’ve had my tea! 😀

Edit: Freeridenick already answered!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Thanks freeridenick/d45yth, I’ve not done that one. Will have to add it to my to-do list forthwith.

d45yth
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member

Ecky

seatoller – Honister – scarth gap – black sail – sty head – seatoller

best big day out in the country I reckon.

I’ve got a GPS route for this that says it was published in issue 19 of ST. It shows that you ride from Seatoller to Buttermere (Lake not village) on the road, is there a cheeky offroad alternative? I’m sure I’ve been up Fleetwith Pike before, as part of a different ride though. Thinking of starting at Buttermere too, as I only live 10 mins from there.
    Can’t believe I haven’t done it before but I do know what to expect! I’ll soon find out tomorrow morning. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Bingley is set to get even better in the near future. Work starts shortly opening up some footpaths for bikes and bits of linking new trail, but the best new stuff will more likely happen next year.

d45yth
    Free Member

freeridenick – Member

Wharnscale bridleway is the route
    Gotcha. Nice pic, hope it’s like that tomorrow. Cheers.

freeridenick
    Free Member

It gets nice an tech 😛

footflaps

For the Peaks, I’d say ‘Lord of the Loops’ as that pretty much encompasses most of the classic bits eg Cut Gate etc.

honeybadgerx

I think something in the North Yorks Moors should be included, somewhere round Fryup Dale, etc. if only for the vast quantities of good pubs and cafe’s in that part of the world – managed to do a 38km ride with loads of good singletrack as well as stopping at two breweries and ending the day with fish and chips by the sea!

justatheory
    Free Member

Ullock Pike is the best descent in England IMO.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Go to the following places and just ride:

Top of Kepwick Bank – NY Moors
    Hawes – NY Dales
    Ladybower – Peaks
    High street – Lakes
    Ilkley – West Yorks

A days riding at each of these locations in my eyes would give you some seriously good riding.

lowey

Keswick, Threlkeld, Skiddaw House, Carry up Great Calva, Knot, Great Sca Fell, Longlands Gate, Dash Falls, Carry up Bakestall, Skiddaw, Ullock.

Epic day out if a bit brutal. Takes in the longest Legal constant DH in the lakes. It does however involve you in “getting lost”… ahem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Top 5 must do/classic North of England rides…’ is closed to new replies.