Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • tools for checking internet "usage"
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

I want to check how much internet GB we use as we currently pay for unlimited as a legacy from when we lived in town and had good speeds…..how ever its pricy…

we get 1-2.3 meg on a good day out here …. so my thoughts are even if we had the computer on all day every day we aint getting the benifit of unlimited… but equally i dont want to go and sign us up to a limited package and we run out of internet – the mrs uses it as a resource for her work – research rather than heaps of streaming or the like….

mrsfry
    Free Member

Good gosh! these packages still exist. I get Virgin broadband only for £35 pm with no restrictions and up to 100mbs going up to 152 in June. No restrictions.

Do you live in some remote wilderness place

PS

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

At a very basic level my old (old) router had a counter of incoming and outgoing data. Just reset it and check daily/weekly/monthly.

Current router has full usage profiles by device and total incoming/outgoing data as well as half a dozen other bits of info.

We are on unlimited so i have no idea what extra tools it has……

dooosuk
    Free Member

My Plusnet account shows me my daily/monthly usage (on peak and off peak)..who you with?

scotroutes

My BT Homehub 5 has a data counter in it that shows up/down traffic since last reset. I don’t think you’re after anything more complex than that.

Cougar

I don’t know how typical it is, but with Sky you can check your usage on their website, but only if you’re on a metered connection. If you’re on unlimited it says something like “congratulations, you’re unlimited so don’t need to know!” I believe that if you contact them directly they can provide statistics, though I’ve never tried it.

Depending on your router, you might be able to get info from there (though the Sky Hub is far too shit for that).

trail_rat
    Free Member

remote enough mrsfry….

Tbh id take shit internet over loads of neighbours any day of the week

trail_rat
    Free Member

its a bt homehub 2

Id like to ditch that as well to be fair its the shittest thing ive ever used to access the internet.

maccruiskeen

As a comparison I have a roughly similar connect speed to you – a couple of laptops and a couple of desktops accessing it – and maybe once a year get an email telling us we’re getting close to our 60GB quota (perhaps when all 4 of them are downloading system software updates etc..) Thats on the basis that we both work from home so internet is ticking away 12 to 15 hrs a day though

We’ve just recently changed to an unlimited deal as compared to what we were previously paying for 60GB there was no reason not to. In our case upgrading was to unlimited with the same provider (plus net) was cheaper than the existing capped deal

A capped deal would have to be very keenly priced these days to make it worthwhile over an unlimited one

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have to stay with BT for line maintainance reasons – overground line subject to damage – Always been fixed within a couple of days when ive contacted BT – the same cannot be said for the people near by on similar lines with the likes of sky etc… as well as my parents with orange for whom open reach took 28 days to fix their line…

im paying nigh on 40 quid a month for line rental , internet and an evening/weekend calls package that the wife makes full use of tbh (its like 2 quid and she makes more than that worth of calls back home in a week.)

bruneep

whats pricey for a mid deesider?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m looking at changing our internet provider at the minute and practically no one offers a reduced usage package anymore, and many are offering free upgrades to unlimited for customers on low usage deals.

We’re looking at £25 for unlimited calls and non-fibre broadband from plusnet, rising to £35 after 12 months (12 month contract so we’ll just shop around then).

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

im paying nigh on 40 quid a month for line rental , internet and an evening/weekend calls package that the wife makes full use of tbh (its like 2 quid and she makes more than that worth of calls back home in a week.)

They’re fleecing you Terry!
    They are charging me £25 a month (£9 contract and line rental of £15 a month when paid up front with line rental saver) for unlimited fibre, albeit just weekend calls but still…

Usual story, tell them you’re not renewing, leave them to sweat a bit and they’ll come down.

I assume you are on standard 17mb (haha!) package? They are punting the same one as yours out at less than £30 for new punters, with a new Home Hub. I’m sure they’ve got plenty of wiggle room if you tell them you are leaving.

scotroutes

I still have a HH4 here in a box if you have a use for it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I assume you are on standard 17mb (haha!) package? They are punting the same one as yours out at less than £30 for new punters, with a new Home Hub. I’m sure they’ve got plenty of wiggle room if you tell them you are leaving.”

I saw this …. but they are not fir shifting their price….

i want to leave to make a point but im warey of leaving for reasons stated above – i reckon they know this.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Did they put you through to “retentions”? They really didn’t need pushed very hard at all to move on price for me. Best to have a price from someone else to bargain with, shouldn’t be hard to find a better deal.

Even if you tell them you are leaving you have to give 30 days notice so easy enough to push them hard, “commit” to leaving and phone back later to reverse it.

aracer
    Free Member

You have to actually ask them for the code you need to port to a new provider to show you’re serious about leaving before they’ll offer you the better price – got a reduction with my previous provider when I first did that (and then I did leave), and similarly my mobile phone contract is one you can only get that way.

You should be able to do that without actually leaving if they call your bluff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

will give that ago …. but i wont be popular if i leave us with no internet ….. teaching doesnt look like much fun without being able to pull resources easily 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

I’m also in a rural location, overhead cables, 4 miles from the local exchange and with internet speeds of circa 2Mbps, so not too dissimilar to your situation OP.

I’m with PlusNet and over the last 15 months have had the need to call them due to loss of service, their response time’s on both occasions was within a couple of days, with the BT engineers turning up, checking the lines and repairing them. PlusNet are part of BT, so maybe this is why they seem to do better than other ISP’s in this regard?

trail_rat
    Free Member

FWIW im now with plusnet .

i got it for 9.99 a month including linerental !

MY internet speed has doubled – mostly due to getting rid of the horrible homehub 2 i reckon.

i no longer get drop out from the router.

Success story so far…..

sweepy
    Free Member

Bugger me, I’m quite rural and somehow BT have me paying £57 per month for BB and line rental, I’m being mugged!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘tools for checking internet "usage"’ is closed to new replies.