Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tool tarts – how over-tooled are you?
  • bearnecessities

I have a mahoosive commercial use Stihl strimmer/brushcutter, with harness, blades that I’m petrified of etc, that I use to cut the allotment grass, for about 3 running hours a year and strimming a tiny area of lawn that touches a border at home.

It’s probably had no more that 10hours use in its life. I feel bad for it. It deserves better.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You poor deluded fool.

You are not over-tooled. There is no such thing.

You are under-tasked.

Pigface
    Free Member

If I ever won the lottery I would phone the Snap On man and say one word EVERYTHING

bearnecessities

Let’s hope he doesn’t have a secret crush on you then 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Had to read that twice….. SNAP, not strap.

As you were. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

but I like you

bearnecessities

Funny feeling to derail your own thread 😀

footflaps

Mainly used for chopping kindling…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KxoQoy]Festool KS 120[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

bearnecessities

You win 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I was up in Orkney I had a four post ramp in my shed, the Spruce Goose Hoose. I ran a classic Volvo Amazon, Mini and Land Rover, there was one of them on it almost weekly. While I had the ramp. It would have been foolish not to have an Epco transmission jack. A brilliant piece of British engineering. I bought it and latterly a low level model at liquidation sales. I never used either of them but they were regularly borrowed by the garage in the village.

The chainsaws and strimmer I have now are used petty regularly. 😀

andysredmini
    Free Member

Last year I bought a huge amount of dewalt tools through work for much cheapness. Highlights include, Compound mitre saw and folding stand, Track saw and all the track sizes, cordless sds drill, cordless drill and impact driver, cordless jigsaw, router, oscillating multi tool. All for DIY use of course. My mate takes the mick as I have better tools than him and he is a full time self employed carpenter.
    From building a couple of extensions I also have most tools for general building, plumbing, electrics etc. All of which are organised in there own tool boxes for easy location.
    I have about 5 socket sets and other tools for car maintenance including a mig welder.
    I also have most things for bike maintenance. including a work stand and wheel jig I built at work and 3 torque wrenches. I have had a friend with a lathe make me quite a few bearing presses including frame bearings and 6085 bottom bracket bearing replacement.

I enjoy fixing things myself and building things so would rather buy the tools and have a go than pay someone else to do it.

mark90
    Free Member

Had to read that twice….. SNAP, not strap.

I don’t know about being over tooled but if a jobs worth doing it’s worth buying the proper tool for the job. If the tool is too expensive then pay someone who has the tool 🙂

nickc

bear, come over to Hebden, I can put you to work on some of the more overgrown footpaths very very legal trails we have over here…

footflaps

but if a jobs worth doing it’s worth buying the proper tool for the job.

And then pay someone else to do it 😉

Northwind

My box of air tools basically never get used, they’re a pain in the arse, hoses everywhere. But still, having a rattle gun is cool.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Conversely my airtools were one of the best things i did in the garage.

PLUMBED IN tandem compressors from another shed to fixed regulators and regulator /oiler and a pair of retractable hoses.

Gets heaps of use.

As for over kill …after melting too many cheap heat guns i finally bought a bosch digital heat gun to the tune of 120 quid. But its used often.

bearnecessities

Nick, happy to help out with perfectly legal footpath clearing 🙂 . Just drop us an email 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

The strap on stickers a given for halfords tool boxes 🙂 i also have one haha

My latest overkil sotuation was a sealy hd rivnut tool

Bought to fit one 14mm riv nut.

Amaizing how many jobs you find once you have one though, riv nuts are awesome.

psychobiker
    Free Member

200 litre Clarke Compressor for blowing up bike tyres.

psychobiker
    Free Member

In the garage with a bike. All its ever been used for.

br
    Free Member

My ‘theory’ on buying tools is:

“if I can buy the tool for less than the price of paying someone to do the job, buy the tool”

Obviously I then have to learn to use it…

Luckily then that my workshop is 12 x 5, that’s in metres – and it’s double height 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have that attitude too. The problem is space. 12x5meters sounds e
    Wonderful.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

I too am over tooled after recently splurging over £1000 at my local Honda/Stihl dealer. I have taken to offering to trim neighbours hedges/prune their trees etc.

They mostly repay me in cakes

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just own your own company……

No such thing as “overtooled ” 😉

mattbee

Yeah. Borrowed work’s Hilti te6a for a few jobs, couldn’t find my cordless drill driver so at one point it became the most over the top electric screwdriver I’ve ever used.
    See also using the rotorbroach to still a couple of homes in some alu sheet as it was closer than the ‘normal’ drill…

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve got a shaping machine I bought just because I like shaping machines. Never used it.

twisty

It is much better to be overtooled than undertooled.
    A few months ago I had to get rid of most of my tools because I emigrated.
    It was a very denuding experience 🙁

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tool tarts – how over-tooled are you?’ is closed to new replies.