Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Too niche even for me – cave unicycling…
  • bencooper
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/66668134[/video]

qwerty
    Free Member

I was in the dark about that one.

tomkerton
    Free Member

Extraordinary. Did you see the colour of his beard?

benji
    Free Member

Kind of cool, but nuts.

sideshow
    Free Member

I’m bumping this thread cos that’s my mate in the video.

devash
    Free Member

I hope they’re using carbon forks to iron out those potholes.

welshfarmer

Cor blimey. You lot should have seen the fuss over on UKCaving.com a few years back when this video was made. Made STW whiners look like amateurs…

Knowing this cave quite well I would say fair play to them to get the bike through the entrance series. There are several caves around the world I have visited where I have thought a bike would be useful for exploring parts of them.

fasthaggis

I could only watch it until he said “you need to bring your A game”

I have a friend that is a caver.
    Great person ,but a complete loon and I have never understood his enthusiasm for crawling around in the dark.

nedrapier

sideshow! I need your help!

I saw this a year (2?) ago a Kendall Film fest tour showing. they seemed so deadly serious and so plausible – the ginger guy you would pull out of a police line-up of potential cave unicylists every single time. And there’s clearly a lot of skill and risk in what they’re doing.

But at the same time, there was so much Xtreem sports cliche in their talking head bits, that I couldn’t (still can’t) work out whether:

1) the whole thing was a wind-up to make a interesting film – obviously they are actually doing the cave riding but is it what they do, or something they did once to make a film?

2) whether they were playing up to the XTreeem video stereotypes (eg “A game” as above) here and there about something they do regularly to make the film more tongue in cheek/funny/interesting.

or

3) whether they were 100% deadly serious about everything they said and did.

Which is it?! Put my mind at rest!

crazy-legs

There’s a cave up in Elterwater that I’ve ridden through a couple of times (on a proper bike, not a unicycle…)

It used to be a Bogtrotters special – simonfbarnes found it while walking and, never one to bother with trivialities like Rights of Way, decided that the cave was suitable for biking with a bit of hike-a-bike thrown in. 🙂

Can’t find any pics though, I know he had some just don’t know if it was on the Boggies site or via Facebook.

welshfarmer

AFAIK this was a one off. They asked for help from some “proper” cavers, to take them underground to somewhere suitable that they could ride, film, and not do any damage. Plus they needed to be able to get there with al the gear. There are probably only a couple of places in the UK where it could be done as most passage is really not rideable, even by Danny Mccaskill!

As to whether they were serious. I really doubt it.

sideshow
    Free Member

What welshfarmer said. this was a one off (though Stefan is a proper caver anyway, at least inasmuch as he goes caving more than I do, and I presume Tom as well).

As to how serious, I forget what they said in the video, I’d have to re watch to see! But aren’t many of the best adventures both serious and not at the same time? i.e. you do have to “bring your a game” because getting any serious injury in a cave (even Aggy which I presume some of that is) is a really bad idea to say the least. But at the same time what you’re doing is obviously completely ridiculous.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Too niche even for me – cave unicycling…’ is closed to new replies.