Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Too much float from Shimano Pedals
  • pbooker1995
    Free Member

Starting to use clipless pedals on the mountain bike. Have been using flats all my life.

Have been using Hope F20’s with AM41’s. Loads of grip and a good platform.

Now using m530 pedals with Five Ten Maltese Falcon.

It feels like my feet are going to come out of the pedals going downhill due to the amount of float before you actually unclip. Have messed around with the spring etc but that only adjusts how hard it is to unclip.

Is there a system with less float? Or a system that uses a better platform, i.e Crank Brothers Mallet where the clip is almost inside the pedal, so when you are clipped in, you still have some of the flat pedal style platform?

Moon on a stick but hoping someone can help.

chaos

Have you tried the alternate cleats, i.e. multi or single release?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

tried both types of cleats. Both had the same effect.

neilwheel
    Free Member

If you want to stick with Shimano have a look at the DX M647 pedals.

zangolin
    Free Member

As above
    DX M647

or
    XT M785

svalgis
    Free Member

The OP’s M530 should be nearly identical to the XT in terms of platform/contact points, no? Would the DX provide more actual support? Struggling with the floaty feel of SPDs myself, albeit with “cageless” M520’s, but I’m also worried that M530/XT Trail won’t make much difference.

Looking past Shimano, I’m pretty sure the Mallets would work well with your shoes and provide a more stable feel, OP. I wonder if they work okay with hiking type clipless shoes as well though?

stoney
    Free Member

I have had 2 sets of SPDs do this, Deore and XTR, sadly you may find (as with mine) that the retaining clips, (with the spring tensioner) have worn beonde their usable life. New cleats, and max tension make no difference at all, and as Typical Shimano you cant get spares….. 😥

neilwheel
    Free Member

The OP’s M530 should be nearly identical to the XT in terms of platform/contact points, no? Would the DX provide more actual support? Struggling with the floaty feel of SPDs myself, albeit with “cageless” M520’s, but I’m also worried that M530/XT Trail won’t make much difference.

All the “trail” (530, XT, XTR) type pedals are very similar in size and shape. The main benefits, to me, are the ease of clipping back in and some impact protection.

The body in the DX is set very low in the cage, so there is more sole support from the pedal. With deep tread shoes, Mavic Alpine, I can’t fully clip in without putting a plate spacer under the cleat. They work well with a flatter sole, I use Tevas.

cookeaa

It’s all about having a proper Cage, I can’t see how the newer shimano “Trail” pedals offer any support/grip…

I use proper Mans pedals (GRRRR!) on my DH bike, old M646:

And lighter, cheaper M424’s on my HT and SS bikes:

Both old models now, but they do at least have something for the grippy part of the shoe’s sole to… well grip.

You’ve bought the Maltese Falcon shoes OP, you still need a pedal that has a proper platform otherwise you might as well have just bought some XC disco slippers…

M647 would be my suggestion too, float will be the same, but you’ll get more support and grip from the body…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Too much float from Shimano Pedals’ is closed to new replies.