Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Too many hobbies, not enough time?
  • MrGrim

The recent influx of snow has got me thinking about taking up snowboarding during the winter months. It also got me thinking about my current hobbies which I don't get to spend a lot of time doing.

Hobbies are:

Mountain Biking (once a week)
    Kayaking (once in a blue moon)
    Running (road & hill)(three times a week)
    Hill Walking (once every couple of weeks)
    Badminton (once a week)
    Squash (once a month)

I feel like i'm spreading myself too thinly and should give up a few things and concentrate on spending more time on one or two areas. It would also allow me to put more money into it i.e. equipment, travel etc.

I've been mountain biking since I was 12 and still love it as much as ever, so it's definitely going to stay.

Anyone else decided to cut back?

Geronimo
    Free Member

Surely the main problem is the 40 hours at work every week?

jam-bo

not enough money is more of an issue.

MrGrim

Work is definitely the main problem, but unfortunately pays for the other stuff. 🙂

Olly
    Free Member

badminton and squash cost money in fees?, but then again, have a good appeal of being intense and relativly short.

if it were me, i would cut one of them out.

keep the kayaking for holidays and weekends away, and dont worry about not being able to do it more of the time.

running is rubbish anyway, so i would sack that in (if it were me)

gusamc
    Free Member

yep
    kite buggy – sold – required too much space that was free of people dogs, trees etc
    windsurfer – sold – I live inland and only went out in force 4+, twice a year
    mountain board – selling – self employed and old enough to have stopped bouncing
    enduro bike – too much cost/hassle vs pleasure (MOT,Tax,Ins for about 3 time out a year)

Still do keep fit, floorball(indoor hockey), surfing (no real cost once you own all kit) and mountain biking, some walking.

alpin
    Free Member

work gets in the way of living.

biking
    kiting – not enough snow at present; need another 3-4"
    reading

Pigface
    Free Member

Giving up the motorbike trials this year and doing more cycling, anyone want to buy a Beta?

Surfing is a distant memory now living in Oxfordshire not in South Wales.

carbon337
    Free Member

Sailing, sold yacht too expensive to keep competitive to Euro champs level.
    Biking, new bike so main hobby now.
    Surfing – have kit but go alone so a bit boring
    Kite Surfing – Taking this up next I think – dangerous alone for a begginer.
    Running – 3 times a week.
    Walking Dog, twice day on decent walk – up a hill every time I can.

phiiiiil

I'd love to take up dinghy racing again, having not done any since I left for university 10 years ago, but I've accepted that I just don't have the time – my Sunday afternoons are already taken up biking, walking or otherwise touring about the country, so trying to cram in enough sailing to justify getting a boat in the first place isn't going to work.

I'm sure one of these days I'll get bored and want a change, so I'll save it until then…

timraven

40-60hours a week working, so no time for any other hobbies.

In fact worked so much over Xmas that I have been unable to get out on the bike for a month. Thankfully that's all changed 😀

andywarner
    Free Member

Work is the problem – I used to do a lot of martial arts but had to give that up when my daughter was born. Now I try and get out twice a week on the bike and walk the dogs as much as possible. When the mornings get lighter and warmer I'll get a few morning rides in before work as well.

aracer
    Free Member

I'm struggling just to find the time to fit in all the different XC skiing options I have at the moment (have 4 different pairs of skis in the car and have used 3 of them in the past week!) It wasn't so bad before children ate up >50% of the time I spent on hobbies – if you think you're bad, I own the following:
    7 pairs of skis (have used 6 of them in the last year)
    1 snowboard
    8 bikes
    5 kayaks – planning on buying one or two more in the near future (I used to own 3 more but have managed to get rid of those)
    So many pairs of running shoes I couldn't possibly count – can think of at least 6 distinct types for different purposes.
    2 windsurfers
    Inline skates
    Rollerskis
    Swimming wetsuit, various other swimming kit
    Climbing kit
    …oh and getting away from sports, a couple of model helicopters and various homebrew electronics stuff.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Too many hobbies, not enough time?’ is closed to new replies.