• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by tang.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Too many bikes is bad for your health….
  • DT78
    Free Member

As I sit here typing one handed, I have come to the conclusion that too many bikes (of similar type) is bad for your health.

I’m thinking having one or two which you are very familar with the handling charateristics is safer for your health than 5 or 6 where some only get ridden once a month, resulting in the occassional surprise visit to a&e……

I think the long established bike formula of n+1 is flawed…

ourmaninthenorth

Too many bikes is bad for your wallet.

Owning six doesn’t seem to mean I wear each one sixth of the rate as I would wear one, rather they all seem to wear and require expenditure just as fast as ever. Except the track bike, but that lives and is only ridden indoors.

But can I bring myself to sell old friends? Can I hell….

geoffj

I agree. ST Issue 55 P30 😉

Handsomedog
    Free Member

But can I bring myself to sell old friends? Can I hell….

It’s actually quite an empowering experience. I’ve just got rid of my CX bike which was much loved but thoroughly neglected.

After a period of mourning and regret, where walking into the garage and seeing a bike shaped hole brings a tear to the eye and a lump to the throat, I no longer miss it.

Next will be my par-built winter fix; I think I can get the collection down to 4…

tang
    Free Member

wanting too many bikes is worse as the stress of desire/financial implications/elephant in a relationship cant be good.

psychle
    Free Member

wanting too many bikes is worse as the stress of desire/financial implications/elephant in a relationship cant be good.

That’s me… and yes, it is stressful! But I love it, honestly… 😳

tang
    Free Member

like all good addictions, feel good for 5 mins before the craving starts again. i’ve tried to remedy this by going down to one bike. however, the cunning desire shifts itself to ‘parts’. my feeble addict mind tells me if i’ve only one bike it needs to be the best i can afford(just). i have yet to break my rule of borrowing or stealing to fund this.
    the above has little or no impact on the real world quality of my riding. thankfully the regular act of riding clears the mind sublimely.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Too many bikes? Can someone explain that concept please?

mangatank
    Free Member

the cunning desire shifts itself to ‘parts’

😀

How true. I’ve got two and frankly the full susser is gathering dust. It’s a superb bike but the hard tail does all of the sort of riding I like. I debated getting a road bike recently but that’s another door into parts excess…and roadie fashion addiction!

It strikes me that even if you’re happy with your hard hitting hitting, long travel hardtail, you’ll start to want it just a bit lighter, or more capable. Then, after you’ve got your 160mm front/rear travel monster, you’ll miss the simplicity of a hard tail…and then there’s the trip to the Alps. you’ll need an extra special bike for that. And the winter hack bike…and the commute bike…and the ‘spare’ bike…and those frames and old forks in the garage…and the ‘bits’ hamper in the garage…and the camelbacks, saddlebags, multiple gloves and helmets, tools, saddles…

Do runners have this problem?

😥

coogan
    Free Member

Too many bikes? Can someone explain that concept please?

Sure, it’s a waste of money.

GW
    Free Member

got 8 bikes here (roadbike, BMXs, DH bikes, mini DH and hardtails) and they are have instantly familiar handling – Sorry to be the one to tell you but it’s YOU, not the bikes, maybe just give up all together? (or simply stop whingeing 😛 )

pypdjl
    Free Member

Owning six doesn’t seem to mean I wear each one sixth of the rate as I would wear one, rather they all seem to wear and require expenditure just as fast as ever.

Arrh, not quite sure how it is possible, but I find that to be the case as well. Most distressing!

ourmaninthenorth

Next will be my par-built winter fix; I think I can get the collection down to 4…

I was thinking my road fixed ought to go, really, as it doesn’t really do anything sufficiently differently from my winter/commuter (geared). But then I thought of turning it into a SS CX. Might shelve this idea and move it on.

That would take me down to five.

The track bike is unlikely to see use for a while, so I ought to sell that. But then I think “It only cost me £150”. I’ll never replace it for the money I’d get.

Thankfully, I (currently) have the space to house all of them, so it’s unlikely much will change.

tang
    Free Member

an all to common symptom of bike fever. hallucinations resulting in the need for upgrade. incurable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Too many bikes is bad for your health….’ is closed to new replies.