Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Too early for full on mud tyres?
  • winterfold
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    I’ve got MAxxis Aspens… they’re useless in the wet..
    my Mud X’s are going on today.

Yah lovely and fast on summer trails but some v sketchy moments for me on the wetter peatier trails on my namesake last time out so the ‘winter’ tyres are going on.

Panaracer fire xc or something like that.

Northwind

Still don’t really understand the adulation for mud xs… They’re great at mud, as a rear tyre, but that’s it really. I’ll not put one on the front again, just so inconsistent. Wet clean hard surfaces especially, they break away so hard and fast under so little provocation. And twitchy and just not very grippy on hard stuff. Sooner just fit a regular tyre- better to slip predictably in bad mud, than unpredictably everywhere else.

Helvetica85
    Free Member

What Northwind said. Rear only for Mud X’s here. Minion DHf’s are pretty good all year round, similar but wider spaced and less ramped than High Rollers so they clear mud and grip far better in winter… Got the single plys front and rear on my Hemlock.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Haven’t we decided there is no perfect tyre yet? Thats why most of have a shed full of tried rubber. Come to the conclusion that it’s more down to my lack of riding skills than the tyre I’m running.

Having said that I thought I’d try Bonty XR4’s this winter on the FS. 🙂 I don’t think we get enough mud around the South Downs to warrant full on mud tyres. Trying to see how far I get through winter on Bonty XDX on the 29er…

Paceman
    Free Member

Maxxis Swampthing SuperTacky on the Front, and Bonty Mud-X on the Rear for me.

Was hoping to hold out a few more weeks but it’s been chucking it down all week.

neninja
    Free Member

In the space of a fortnight, trails that were excellent have turned in to muddy quagmires (especially if they have a lot of horse traffic).

After last nights ride, I’ll be putting my 2.0 Dirty Dan’s back on for local rides.

tomaso
    Free Member

My High Rollers were totally outgunned by some Bonty Mud Xs on a slippery mud and grass steep haul upwards last night. I’ve been pondering something more mud orientated but not sure that the terrain I normally ride demands it? Last night was unusually muddy and featured too much wet limestone in between, but normally its grippy lakeland stoney trails and hardly any mud.

Is there a half way house that will be enough of an all round tyre to handle rocky trails with enough volume not to pinch but wide spaced knobs for clearing muddy sections?

neninja
    Free Member

Is there a half way house that will be enough of an all round tyre to handle rocky trails with enough volume not to pinch but wide spaced knobs for clearing muddy sections?

The new Panaracer Cedric Gracia AM Soft Conditions sounds like what you’re looking for as it’s available in 2.25

I’m planning on getting a set – just saving some pennies for some.

Decent volume for a mud style tyre and supposedly pretty fast rolling for the grip on offer.

http://www.panaracer.com/mtb.php#cg_sc_am_xc

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive just put on my new advantage ust 2.1’s mighty narrow compared to 2.25 crossmark and 2.35 ignitor…..so im kinda thinking they should cut through mud a bit better than the above….tread does look pretty good on them! will no doubt be mucky this weekend so ill give em a good old testing!

D0NK

Still don’t really understand the adulation for mud xs

been using them as rear tyre for a couple of years only put one on the front a cpl months ago. No dramas so far not thrown it down any proper downhills yet but coping fine with mulchy singletrack.

*well except last friday but I don’t think anything grips on wet moss/algae ridden plywood with a wet leaf covering – and I still didn’t crash just scared myself and went a bit off piste

avdave2

Got some 2.0 Mud X’s in the shed at the moment which seem a bit of overkill at the moment round here (South Downs)

Well I was lying on the South Downs this morning after my mud x front went from under me on the way to work so I wouldn’t say it was too early. To be fair it was wet bare chalk so no tyre was going to much better. I’ve also decided to give flats a try this winter in the I now realise mistaken belief that I might get a foot down in time to save myself.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Too early for full on mud tyres?’ is closed to new replies.