Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Too crap for a Five
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

What shoes for mincing on a 5?

buck53

It’s also interesting that nobody seems to like the idea of starting with a “small” bike and progressing to “bigger” bikes as your skills develop.

That’s exactly what I’m doing, started on an entry level hardtail, upgraded forks, brakes, chainset etc. as I went Those parts are now on a 120mm fs frame, finishing the build tonight. It’s worked perfectly for me and genuinely felt like I was ready to make a step up.

Don’t imagine I will ever go much bigger than 140mm or so though, something like a Norco Sight, anything above that it’s going to be too geared towards the downs and stop me enjoying the ups as much (I think). That will come in many years and is way down the list behind some skills days and so on.

Sounds like skills are where you need to look, maybe there’s something you can do to the bike config in the mean time to make it feel more ‘right’ for your riding though?

doom_mountain

I own a Pitch and will never even approach it’s limits but I love riding it.
    I’m pretty fit and good at climbing, so I bought a bike to boost my confidence downhill, I’m even starting to get some air..!

As long as you ride regularly and enjoy it, you WILL get better.

toppers3933
    Free Member

the five can be an xc orientated bike. i know people who go out on theirs for all day rides. you defo need to determine whether it is the bike for you. my experience has always been that the bike will do whatever you want it to no matter what bike it is (within reason obviously).
    i whole heartedly agree that starting off conservatively so far as the bike is concerned will often be a good thing to do. its not always the case but it can be.
    also, when trying to develop your skill a certain amount of courage (confidence) is necessary. without it you wont push your skill level and so won’t develop new or existing skills. knowing that the bike is not the weak link in that equation has always helped me push myself to gain the skills that i have.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Too crap for a Five’ is closed to new replies.