Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tomtom satnav- map of france wanted
  • Speshpaul

looking to get a download of France for my old Tomtom, not really willing to give TT £42, might as well buy a new one with Europe if I’ve got to spend that sort of money.

Can any one recommend any free down load sites?

mikeyd
    Free Member

Recent trip to France I downloaded the TOMTOM app onto my iPhone. £17/yr and all maps of France/Europe etc are free to download if you need them.

Worked very well, only issue may be if you have enough space on your smartphone (at least a few gig I think) or if you even have a smartphone..

allthegear
    Free Member

If you don’t want to pay for it, use a paper map.

Using free downloads is software is EXACTLY the same as walking into Tesco Waitrose (this is STW after all) and helping yourself to a few bottles of wine.

Rachel

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Using free downloads is software is EXACTLY the same as walking into …Waitrose… and helping yourself to a few bottles of wine.

It really, really isn’t.

With my old Garmin unit it was possible to get Open source mapping of new areas which worked reasonably well. Might be worth checking it out?

codybrennan
    Free Member

An alternative if you have some kind of smartphone.

Download ‘Nokia Here’ (now called ‘Here we go’), which has downloadable offline maps for Europe. It’s just got me from Scotland to France with no problems.

It’s better than TT too, imo.

Jamie
    Free Member

Using free downloads is software is EXACTLY the same as walking into Tesco Waitrose (this is STW after all) and helping yourself to a few bottles of wine.

C’mon, Rachel. You should know by now that digital theft is fine on STW. If you can download it, then it’s fair game.

But woe betide anyone asking about knock off Oakleys.

eskay

Use Google maps offline mode on your phone?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Another vote for Here we go. Great app

Caher

Waze?

allthegear
    Free Member

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I am talking about downloading “cracked” closed-source software and maps. Not Open Street Map type thing. That’s fine and a good thing to use.

Downloading cracked software means you are a thief. EXACTLY like stealing physical goods. It’s EXACTLY like stealing a bike.

Rachel

TheFlyingOx

Except when you steal someone’s bike you deprive them of any further use of that bike. Downloading a “cracked” piece of software doesn’t deprive the owner of income from legitimate downloads.

Anywho, try here OP. There’s a bit of faffing about, but it’s either that or getting your wallet out.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s EXACTLY like stealing a bike.

It’s exactly like copying a bike. And leaving the original in place.

Maybe

jeffl

Another vote for google maps on your phone and offline maps. No need to use data abroad. Used it in Portugal last year, it was great.

CountZero

Download ‘Nokia Here’ (now called ‘Here we go’), which has downloadable offline maps for Europe. It’s just got me from Scotland to France with no problems.

It’s better than TT too, imo.
    I’ve used both, and CoPilot as well, and I’ve made the decision to install and pay for TomTom, it’s the best app if you actually have to rely on satnav for your job, as I do. Functionality isn’t that different, but the actual mapping shown onscreen is superior, the close-up detail at junctions, and the clarity of roads while moving is much better, TT’s roads tend to be bolder and clearer, the free apps are less clear, but then they’re free, and are perfectly adequate for occasional/weekend/holiday use.

steezysix
    Free Member

Don’t forget that subject to “fair use” you should be able to use your phone data abroad (in the E.U.) with no extra charges.* Just use google maps like usual? Otherwise OSMAnd+ is good and only costs afiver for the full version!

* Enjoy it while it lasts! #brexit

Speshpaul

Thanks for the help, and moral guidance.
    I’ve managed to convince my employer that I need euro coverage on my works phone (that I contribute towards) so will be using Here+.
    As much as anything I wanted something that would show my speed in KPH. KPH range on the speedo is too small.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tomtom satnav- map of france wanted’ is closed to new replies.