Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Toilet repairs – how much hassle?!
  • mtbfix

So the flush died on our loo and either the diaphragm in the syphon or the whole syphon had to be replaced. The question I ask myself, after effecting the repair, is why do you have to remove the cistern, disconnect the inlet, overflow and pan connection just to find out what the issue is. I presume that plug-and-play fittings for plumbing do not keep the plumbing trade humming even if they would make life a whole lot easier for the rest of us.

Now the couplings are leaking so herself has been sent to get replacements whilst she is in town. Joy, the whole lot will have to come apart again.

Bear
    Free Member

You can get 2 part syphons for cisterns now which mean the next time it is simply plug and play as you put it. Dudley Turbo syphon, alternatively change it to a flushing valve with push button which would have the same effect.
    And yes they are an arse to repair and often end up in the other connections leaking unless you are careful.

mtbfix

Have put a 2 part system in there now which should avoid the fragile diaphragm failing in the future. Our cistern connects to the bowl via a separate piece whereas most systems seem to have the cistern sitting on the back of the bowl. This is not helping as you get everything tight then someone sits on it and the connection shifts slightly. Hopefully fresh washers/couplings will resolve this.

theotherjonv

ptfe tape (lots of?)

mtbfix

No amount of ptfe is going to fix this one. More’s the pity.

gusamc
    Free Member

I’d get a new seals (he typed whilst looking at a yellow ceiling patch where I reused the old doughnut).

Apparently if you smear the seals with vaselien it’s better ………….

rusky
    Free Member

What gusamc said! I’m guessing is a close coupled toilet. No point in skimping, get a close couple fixing kit http://www.screwfix.com/prods/17405/Plumbing/Macerators-and-Pan-Connectors/Comap-Close-Coupling-Kit

mtbfix

I think our existing coupling plate is superior to that which Screwfix and Wickes sell but I am going to go get a new seal for it tomorrow and will refit it all with fresh seals and gaskets.

Bear
    Free Member

you may think of it as a bodge, but silicone is great on close coupled pans for sealing things.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

In the words of Rage Against the Latrine: ‘Rip the cistern, I was born to rage against ’em’

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Toilet repairs – how much hassle?!’ is closed to new replies.