Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Toilet cistern sounds like it is going to take off
  • Harry_the_Spider

When the cistern on my toilet is filling it makes a right racket. Do I just need to change the float valve or could it be something else?

RustySpanner

Albert Ball cock?

scaredypants

take it off the treadmill

globalti
    Free Member

Try closing the main stopcock while the cistern is filling and stopping when the noise sounds bearable. Then check that sink and basin taps around the house are still delivering enough flow.

Harry_the_Spider

Slightly closed the feed valve to the cistern. It still made a bloody racket. :-/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If you’re feeling flush, why not splash out on a new one?

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Take a pic. More than likely just a rubber needing replacing. Flush toilet and open the basin cold tap and see if the noise stop/lessens.

shogger
    Free Member

get one of these

slackalice
    Free Member

More than likely the fill valve has got a bit of dirt in it. Note down what it looks like, what type of float arrangement and if its side or bottom entry… Yup, I can’t help sniggering too 😉

Then, go and buy a new one and replace.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Why replace an entire float valve when it could be a 5 min fix costing 50p?

slackalice
    Free Member

Because when you know what you’re doing, it’s a 5min fix.

When you don’t know what you’re doing, which I am having a punt on the OP isn’t too familiar with, due to the nature of the question, it can be much longer trying to figure it out, not figuring it out and then going off to buy a new one because the old brittle plastic parts have snapped off trying to twist against the limescale seal that has formed.

Trying to cut out the middle man I suppose.

Maybe not the “teach a man to fish” approach, but rather ridiculously now, I wanted to keep my suggestion brief and quite why I’m even bothering to defend myself is also puzzling me. But there you go 😕

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

And yet you assume the OP has the skills to replace a float valve 😉

slackalice
    Free Member

Haha! Touché! 🙂

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Ours did that. I think it’s grit in the supply bit (technical term). I held my finger over the end where the water comes out to increase water velocity (like on end of a hose pipe). Did that a few times and it hasn’t happened since!

Harry_the_Spider

I shall finger the rim and see of any dirt comes out before messing with my ball (singular) and cock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Toilet cistern sounds like it is going to take off’ is closed to new replies.