Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Toilet cistern leaking when refilling??
  • renton
    Free Member

My tenant has just text saying the toilet in our house is leaking when refilling after flushing??

Its a low level toilet with a separate pan and cistern?

Apparently its leaking where the pipe that connects the two joins the cistern and only when refilling after flushing??

Any ideas??

Cheers

Steve

crikey
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s leaking where the pipe that connects the two joins the cistern….WTF are you expecting anyone to say?

curvature
    Free Member

Ok the pipe that runs between the cistern and the wc is a flush pipe.

At the cistern end it uses a compression type fitting to secure it and form the seal.

At the WC end it is simply pushed in with a finned connector.

Where is it leaking from? The threaded section or the inner section by the flush pipe ?

ski
    Free Member

Is the leaking fluid a light yellow colour?

If so I might have an idea what the cause might be 😉

renton
    Free Member

@ Crikey..Well as Im 200 miles away and cant see the cistern myself I was hoping the mighty mind of single track might have an idea on what it is and whether or not I need to buy a whole new cistern or something as simple as a seal.

jesus whats with you ??

@ curvature…. its apparently leaking from where the pipe goes into the cistern not the bowl.

curvature
    Free Member

Can you get your tenant to send you a picture?

nealglover
    Free Member

Any ideas??

If you don’t know how to fix it yourself, call a plumber.

Sorry if that sounds flippant, but I’m not sure what you expect anyone to say really.

It’s leaking, and it needs someone who knows how to fix it to sort it out.

[edit] – yes, it’s more than likely a seal, or a cracked fitting. Both fixable without buying a new pan/cistern

renton
    Free Member

yep just asked her to send me one(hopefully not whilst she is sat on it 8O)

renton
    Free Member

If you don’t know how to fix it yourself, call a plumber.

Sorry if that sounds flippant, but I’m not sure what you expect anyone to say really.

It’s leaking, and it needs someone who knows how to fix it to sort it out.

I know how to fix it(I actually fitted the toilet back in 2007) but cant remember the exact set up and the way the pipe fits to the cistern.

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, I came across as a bit grumpy and didn’t mean to.

I was trying to demonstrate that the question is a bit of a difficult one to answer given the second hand and sparse info you have given.

Refilling is presumably done at mains pressure and if it’s a new thing, it may just need a tweak, but it’s impossible to say.

midlifecrashes

It is odd to be leaking from that pipe only when refilling. I have seen something like it though.

See in img9, there’s a blue diverter to aim the flow of water from the float valve down into the cistern. If that pops off (it’s a push fit), the water jets upwards onto the cistern lid, then down the back, and drips off whatever the last bent thing is, in your case the flush pipe. If it is this, it’s very obvious (and wet)if you lift the cistern top off then flush. Good luck.

nealglover
    Free Member

cant remember the exact set up and the way the pipe fits to the cistern..

enfht
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s leaking where the pipe that connects the two joins the cistern….WTF are you expecting anyone to say?

PMSL

Can you get your tenant to send you a picture?

+1 is she hot?

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Toilet cistern leaking when refilling??’ is closed to new replies.