Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • toe overlap and newbies, also flat bar levers for drop brakes?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Looking at a frame on here for my better half and the seller mentioned toe overlap might be an issue as its traditional geometry. I hadn't really thought about it but it is a point, she isnt a very experienced cyclist and i dont want to put her off-should i hang fire and find a hybrid/commuter job or plough on and build this up?

secondly, was going to put flat bars on it but are there cheap levers for drop brakes?

steve_b77
    Free Member

When you say drop brakes do you mean Caliper or Canti?

If caliper, just get some el cheapo BMX ones about £12 each for DBR

fontmoss
    Free Member

caliper ie road ones

steve_b77
    Free Member

DBR 2 finger BMX levers, I fitted them to my charge.

Dia compe also do some pretty cheap ones, get 2 finger if you want good stopping power though

trail_rat
    Free Member

if your looking at doing what i think your doing – and this has downtube shifters etc your on a hiding to nothing for an inexperianced rider – eyes of road looking down to shift and BAM

keep a look out for a cheep hybrid

fontmoss
    Free Member

not using downtube shifters

im more thinking of the toe everlap and whether people think it'll be a big issue

Talkemada
    Free Member

For an inexperienced cyclist I'd go more for a mountain bike or hybrid, as the handling will be easier. A smaller person (5'4" and below) might find a 26" wheeled mtb a better 'fit', as it will have a slightly lower centre of gravity. A 26" wheeled 'commuter' might be a good start, as it would be more versatile, and could handle the odd bit of gentle off-road such as tracks and tow-paths etc. They might find it more manageable in traffic, too (toe overlap definitely an issue here).

I'd steer clear of any pseudo-'racer' type bikes, for an inexperienced person. They are faster, for sure, but more 'twitchy', and not as 'easy' to ride. A hybrid or mtb commuter will invariably have v-brakes or even discs, which offer much more confident braking. Clearance for wider tyres and mudguards may be useful too.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah ive always been a big fan of trek fx bikes for those reasons, stable efficient and fun. Ill let this one pass i think, shame would have been great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘toe overlap and newbies, also flat bar levers for drop brakes?’ is closed to new replies.