Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Toddlers and hydrocortizone – crying content…
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A bit of a Dadsnet one this but just testing the water to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Izzi is 23 months old and has a little bit of eczema (on her wrists and inside of elbows) so the docs have prescribed hydrocortizone.

Since we have started using it (Saturday) she is having god-almighty tantrums/screaming fits, waking at night when she doesn’t normally, even refusing to have milk (this has always in the past calmed her no matter what).

The fits aren’t just when we administer the cream, she just goes off on one on waking up, on being dressed, on having a nappy changed etc.

Of course it may just be her entering a tantrum stage but as it has come at the same time we have started giving her the cream we were wondering if it could somehow be connected.

Or is this just going to be a sample of what we can expect for the coming years?

ski
    Free Member

Is the skin broken MF, if so it does smart a bit for kids.

My 8 year old had 75% of her body covered at the age of 2 with eczema! It was a stressful time for everyone at the time!

Now its pretty much under control.

It might be worth checking for other things that might be upsetting her?

Ours found teething and her molars very painful at that age.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Would it still hurt hours after? The screaming isn’t just when putting the cream on (although this upsets her). The skin is rough and chapped but not broken so much that there is blood there.

We did think it might be teeth (her sis has all her teeth through but Izzi has a couple to go) but painkillers had no effect and there are no other symptoms (hands to mouth, excessive saliva, horrible nappies, red rash on bum).

A bit of a puzzle at the moment.

ski
    Free Member

Would it still hurt hours after? The screaming isn’t just when putting the cream on (although this upsets her). The skin is rough and chapped but not broken so much that there is blood there.

I am not Doc MF btw, just another parent who has been through the same hoops 😉

If the skin is not broken, it does not sound like the cream is the cause imho, another trip to the Doc might be in order MF – good luck btw

tonyd

Both our boys have mild eczema and we’ve been prescribed hydrocortisone, no issues like this though.

Longshot, but you say she has it on her wrists – could it be she’s sucking the cream off of her wrists and it’s upsetting her stomach? Poo OK? We’re careful not to apply hydrocortisone anywhere it might get sucked on as our youngest puts everything in his mouth.

Otherwise maybe try stop using it for a few days and see if the problems persist.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yes… She did have a bit of a lick at first but we thought she had stopped. We do only put the lightest coating but this could be the cause – certainly a reasonable consideration.

I am not Doc MF btw, just another parent who has been through the same hoops

It sounds like you had it MUCH worse than us though 😯

Dr_Bakes

My non-medical opinion would be that this is coincidence. The cream will be of the lowest strength steroid available and, as menioned, might smart briefly if applied to broken skin but nothing more. If anything the eczema will itch/irritate a lot less once it’s moisturised than before.

My money’s on teething!

Cougar

Stop using it for a couple of days and see what happens?

woody2000

My money’s on teething!

Mine’s on it being “just a phase”. My previously mild mannered 2 yr old has become a bit of a mardy arse whingebag stropmeister at the moment. It’ll stop, the cream’s a coincidence I reckon. Ignore it and carry on 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is the skin broken? My understanding was you should not put hydrocortizone on broken skin

even so i doubt enough could be absorbed to have systemic effects

doc_blues
    Free Member

i think coincidence too. have used with ours with no problems like this – sounds like teething/colic/age (you can buy some little sachets of powder – Aston and Parsons from memory for teething – works a treat) – might be excessively acidic saliva getting onto the skin causing the eczema if she is teething?

Out of interest, what soap are you using to bathe – we ahve found oursons skin flares up if we sue baby soap, especially the boots own baby wash – he is much better on the sanex shower creme we use or oilatum. worth considering the likely cause of the rash, as treating it with steroids will only abate the symptoms, but not treat the cause (also might see a lessening of efficacy over prolonged treatment time due to receptor desenitization)

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

I suffer with mild eczema. My GP advised me to use vaseline!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is the skin broken? My understanding was you should not put hydrocortizone on broken skin

No it isn’t broken, just dry and itchy.

Out of interest, what soap are you using to bathe – we ahve found oursons skin flares up if we sue baby soap, especially the boots own baby wash – he is much better on the sanex shower creme we use or oilatum.

We are just washing in water now – stopped using all soaps. We may try Oilatum again though as in the past it hasn’t caused her problems.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the skin is not broken then you won’t get systemic effects

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hmm, tend to agree – really clutching at straws as to work out what is upsetting her and the cream is the only thing we have done differently and we have never seen her like this – proper flailing, screaming etc and refusing milk.

brassneck

Probably just a phase, the immediate reaction is to look for what’s changed but I reckon at least half the time it’s coincidental.

Our 2 nearly 3 year old is generally great fun and very agreeable, but every now and then they just lose it and it all gets a bit emotional for a week or two. Older brother was the same, and I suspect younger will be too.

My suspicion is it coincides with growth/development spurts where they need more rest (and you’d have though food/energy.. but sometimes they seem to go off it) and they’re just battling through the change.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what the others say my youngest had this and this cream was used without the efects you describe coincidence but be watcful
    It tends to improvw with age as he now rarely needs anything treatment wis ejuts being careful with soap usage and also using creams every othe rday but this si more a just in case thing these days

Skoolshoes
    Free Member

Umizoomi, Ben & Holly and Peppa pig. Works wonders for my 2 year olds tantrums 😉

BigJohn

We always give our grandson a little sip of Johnsons Baby Shampoo. No more tears, it says on the bottle.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Umizoomi, Ben & Holly and Peppa pig. Works wonders for my 2 year olds tantrum

Yeah all that stuff NORMALLY works but these tantrums 😯 nothing is calming her – we are having to just leave her to burn herself out.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

My previously mild mannered 2 yr old has become a bit of a mardy arse whingebag stropmeister at the moment. It’ll stop it will be on and off for the next 20 years,

FIFY

HTH

molgrips
    Free Member

Did you google for side effects?

Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Hydrocortisone:

Difficulty sleeping; dizziness or lightheadedness; headache; increased appetite; increased sweating; indigestion; nervousness.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Hydrocortisone:
    Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; chest pain; eye pain or increased pressure in the eye; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint or bone pain; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); muscle pain or weakness; seizures; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; stomach pain or bloating; swelling of feet or legs; unusual weight gain or loss; vision changes; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Hmmm, that is interesting (if somewhat concerning). I think we should give it a miss today and see if things improve 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

molgrips – is that for the cream or for tablets? There is a huge difference.

Hydrocortizone cream ( in normal dosage) is tiny amounts of hydrocortizone ad does not get into the circulation so does not cause systemic effects.

A little knowledge is dangerous thing. go and bother your GP if you are that concerned

molgrips
    Free Member

There was another drug, can’t remember what it was.. an antihistamine or something that people said to give to kids on long flights and the like. It makes most kids sleepy but like 10% or so it makes them totally mental. Happens to my wife’s cousin apparently. What’s it called now.. some really common US medicine.. hmm..

Anyway that’s what your post reminded me of.

Dr_Bakes

Or apply it to your other child and see if you’re in for double trouble? You’ve a near perfect control situation here. Not sure it’d pass an ethics committee mind? 😀

Seriously I hope it improves soon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Side effects ( for cream)

Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways.

* Hydrocortisone cream is generally well tolerated and side effects are very rare when it is applied sparingly, no more than twice a day, for up to a week. If you experience any signs of allergic reactions to the cream, such as burning, itching or redness of the skin after applying it, you should stop using it and consult your doctor.
    * If hydrocortisone is applied excessively, more than twice a day, for longer than a week, underneath dressings, to broken or raw skin, large areas of skin, or areas of skin that rub together, it has the potential to cause some of the side effects associated with topical steroids, such as skin thinning. You can read about these here.
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100001220.html

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Is she scratching herself when she has the cream on?

You might find some of the items of clothing in this link of benefit for a child with eczema. We certainly did with ours. http://www.healthy-house.co.uk/products/kitten_mitten_suit.php

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it a steroid then? She could be experiencing ‘roid rage!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or apply it to your other child and see if you’re in for double trouble? You’ve a near perfect control situation here. Not sure it’d pass an ethics committee mind?

😯 No thanks – she is the mardy one with OCD at the best of times!

TJ – she is only getting it sparingly applied once a day so I guess that post shows she really shouldn’t be experiencing side effects. Difficult one to deal with though as she is normally really placid and this change in mood is difficult to explain/understand.

SbZ – she isn’t scratching much to be honest (before or after using the cream) but it does tend to happen mostly at meal times (although we see no link to particular foods yet) but they wear coverall bibs with elasticated cuffs that we *think* may cause the rash on her wrists. All clothing is washed in Fairy Non-bio too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

YES ITS A STEROID, NO IT CANNOT GIVE SYSTEMIC EFFECTS AS ITS A CREAM UNLESS THEY EAT THE WHOLE RUDDY TUBE

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ – she is only getting it sparingly applied once a day so I guess that post shows she really shouldn’t be experiencing side effects

Hmm.. side effects aren’t necessarily due to using a lot of something tho, are they?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have no idea – we are going to leave off for a couple of days anyway and see what happens…

brassneck

YES ITS A STEROID, NO IT CANNOT GIVE SYSTEMIC EFFECTS AS ITS A CREAM UNLESS THEY EAT THE WHOLE RUDDY TUBE

Did you eat a tube in the name of science? 😀

rockyrider
    Free Member

Hi to the original poster:

What you describe is not a tantrum. If any person behaves in the way your daughter has been doing repeatedly, when usually they are placid, I would take them to a doctor. She cannot articulate in words so she has no other way of telling you she’s in intense pain and / or distress.

I’m not a medic but I’m thinking it might be possible that teething could cause such distress, but you should get her checked out asap as you don’t know for sure what is causing it and the behaviour is extreme.

If the eczema isn’t really bad then stopping using the cream anyway shouldn’t be too bad perhaps? By the way my son is nearly 5 and I still only use soap on his hands, feet and bottom (anus). You don’t need to use anything over a 2 year old’s whole body either. Just on the greasy or dirty bits. Don’t you think? Has the eczema come along with the teething by the way?

(Anecdotally, the only time my son has refused milk was when he was teething.)

But take her to your doctor.

Carol

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Toddlers and hydrocortizone – crying content…’ is closed to new replies.