Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Toddler / child seat advice please.
  • Fop
    Free Member

Hi all,

About to make first bike-related purchases for my 18 month old….a seat and trainer/balance bike. Can't see beyond the Islabikes Rothan for the bike (don't want a wooden one and think the rear-sus Kokua/Like-a-Bike is a bit overkill), but not sure on seats.

I'm not keen on a rear mounted seat so am fairly sold on the Weeride. Anybody got any feedback on these, or other suggestions.

Thanks

ampthill

I couldn't imagine the child in front thing as I don't think I'd cope with the inteference with pedalling

But a mate does it loads ad gets on well with it

I went with a Rhode gear Limo

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=4475

It worked well. The kids slept in it. I thought it have a measure of all round protection and kept legs well away frome spokes

It attached to a supllied black burn rack which isn't a bad thing to have on your bike. Some frinds found the seat tube fiiting kids seat caught there heals

sorry no diifeintive answer really

GW
    Free Member

I use a trailer instead of childseats quicker to fit/remove and will carry more than one child/lots of other stuff/toys changing bag etc. If I were to go for a childseat I think I could only get along with front mounted seats as you are far more aware of what the child is doing, the weight is more central so the bike will be more stable plus I honestly can't help myself doing wheelies and dropping/hopping kerbs on dull terrain.

as for balance bikes, I actually prefer the wooden ones, they're lighter and easier (more comfortable) to carry and last years and years left outside in all weathers.

verses

I use a rear mounted Hamax seat that my daughter loves/loved being in although I think she's out grown it now (going over bumps causes it to spring down and hit the rear wheel).

As for balance bikes, I got her the Ridgeback Scoot and she loves it. It's VERY similar to the Isla but was about £20 cheaper.

Ogg

I disliked the weeride (sold it after a few weeks on here) – ok for a quick trip but useless for pedalling any distance as the seat gets in the way of your legs/knees (I'm 6ft1" so I guess shorter people may be better off?)

Used a Hamax (Sleepy or Siesta I think) daily from 10 months till about 2.5 years but then brought a Chariot trailer to keep our daughter out of the elements a bit more during the winter and for a more pleasant off-road experience for her!

Rothan is good and has a decent resale value (there were 2 in classifieds last week http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-isla-bikes-rothan )

Earl
    Free Member

Weeride +1. Make sure it fits your headtube.

If you can afford the investment the rear-sus Kokua/Like-a-Bike are better than the Rohan's. (try riding a ht with no pedals vs a full sus with no pedals). Use it for 2 years and sell it on ebay for 2/3 of what you paid.

windowshopper
    Free Member

Had a weeride and loved it, especially at that age, but it was definitely less stable than a rear mounted carrier. I doubt you'll get more than this coming summer out of it due to the high centre of gravity and slightly cramped riding position it creates as the child gets bigger/heavier.

Having said that, the rides I did with my son in it are some if my happiest memories of that age.

Now moved onto a Hamax Siesta.

windowshopper
    Free Member

Oh and +1 for thr Rothan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Toddler / child seat advice please.’ is closed to new replies.