Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Today's wildlife spots
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Loads of these

And one of these, which I’ve never seen before like this and consequently I am pretty pleased.

sharki
    Free Member

Loving the Stoat. Whereabout was is?

redthunder
    Free Member

Nice lapwing.

and a polar bear 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sadly two dead badgers on the run to work!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Biking home from work this afternoon came across three dear in a field.Nice to see.Get the feeling spring is just around the corner.

redthunder
    Free Member

Portishead Boating Lake…

yunki
    Free Member

that Lapwing looks very deeply worried.. or perhaps ashamed of it’s sexuality but putting on a brave face about it..

snaps
    Free Member

Sharki’s riding buddies – Quantock deer

Trekster

Geese and Swans on the river Nith yesterday

Lizard during Saturdays walk around the Black Esk Res

sharki
    Free Member

Female smooth newt there Trekster, having coming out from hibernation i hope it survives the return of winter up here.

redthunder
    Free Member

Soon to have baby Robins 😉

Raven on my roof

Max is Back 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

Redthunder

Water Rail!!! I’ve only ever seen two, and those sightings have been during freezing conditions when they are forced out a bit more. Nice one.

Sparky Mark from Bigfoot Bike Club collected a deer near Biggin Hill airport on the tuesday night ride this week. Deer/chain ring interface at speed (Sparky doesn’t do slow)…loads of blood. Sparky first aided the deer and after a recovery period with him soothingly stroking it….the deer trotted off.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Short Nightride in Alice Holt Forest tonight:

Deer – 1 Roe doe, 3 Muntjac
    1 Fox
    1 Badger
    1 Hare

8)

cinnamon_girl

:mrgreen: @ Zulu

sharki
    Free Member

Ooo reminds me..

C_G i’m back on the Tox for a few weeks, bit early for the reds to start dropping their antlers but if i find one it’s yours, if i don’t i’ll recover some that found last year and mail them to you. FB message me your postal addy.

Torminalis
    Free Member

This morning whilst walking the dog I saw 12 Jays in one tree, never seen more than a pair at once before, I reckon it was the equivalent of speed dating.

molgrips
    Free Member

Loving the Stoat. Whereabout was is?

Trying to decide whether or not to cross the road just south of Erding near Munich. Snow has been gone a week or so so it stood out like a sore thumb.

Didn’t see anything this morning, I was going too fast! Whoosh!

redthunder
    Free Member

Yesterday… Quite pleased with this pic 🙂

Handsome Couple Hey!

Bigger Pic Here
    SGMTB Site

plumber
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S41i9X8jy5s[/video]

male and 2 female goosanders like these on leeds-liverpool canal this morning

We get them quite often, such pretty birds and makes a change from mallards

redthunder
    Free Member

Spooky Skull Spider

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Purple Sandpiper,

MoreCashThanDash

Well that’s just knocked the post I just stuck about my commute into a cocked hat then

🙄

sharki
    Free Member

Nothing unusual today, the usual ducks, chaffinchs, gulls, Buzzard,tits, etc.

The small gathering of Yellowhammers where a pleasant sight as was the chattering of a Skylark high above us.

Some pics, but these were from last week somewhere else..

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

From Yew Tree Tarn, just outside Coniston, today.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Lovely stuff. Nice photos of Yellowhammers there Sharki, a beautiful bird. Sadly not heard them round my way lately 🙁 Used to hear their call frequently… “Little bit of bread and no cheese” I think it is! Another of our lovely farmland birds in decline due to intensive farming. Hedgerows cut with a razor, its a real shame…. Skylarks seem to be holding their own though here which is good…. Is there a finer sound/sight out when your riding hearing one high above a distant field!!

sharki
    Free Member

Only about a dozen in todays flock of Hammers, the ones from the Photo’s are from a flock of about 60+ with a few reed buntings hanging out with them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yesterday saw two very similar to this:

But standing in a ploughed field, nowhere near water.

sharki
    Free Member

Might be Little Egrets migrating back to the continent after a winter in the UK, could of been blown off course and away from water and just needed a rest..

Nice spot.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fortunate spot I suppose, they weren’t hard to actually see in the middle of a brown field 🙂

They looked to be hunting – stood still in a field looking at the ground but wiki reckons they eat fish and other water based prey. They were also stood with necks fully straight up rather than coiled like almost all the Google images are.

Any other similar birds they could be? Central Europe here mind.

slugwash
    Free Member

Anyone seen any house/sand martins yet? They’ve been seen crossing the coast in our neck of the woods in recent days.

http://www.wildlifeindevon.org.uk/pages/sightings.htm

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. maybe this

The habitat and behaviour seems to fit better but I don’t recall black or orange.. could be my spotting skillz there though.

Incidentally that looks very much like a large unidentified bird I saw on the wing near Cwmcarn last year…

sharki
    Free Member

Possibly a cattle Egret then, they eat worms and other such much loving critters, not sure about their a bit of holding their head up straight though. They however have a yellow beak unlike the grey one seem in your pic.

molgrips
    Free Member

Possibly.. yes..

I should bring my camera next time 🙂

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

After checking online, I think I saw a Goshawk today. Damn it was big. Just sitting on a fencepost, looking for some breakfast. (Not my photo)

Mind you we get plenty of Brown Hares round here, so they won’t go hungry. Which, incidentaly, if you spot you can report, as they are now on the decline and there are plans to add them to the conservation list.

http://www.merseysidebiobank.org.uk/BrownHare/default.aspx?content=home.xml

amt27
    Free Member

saw a white deer (or at least partially white) last night whilst out night riding, not going to say where, the last one around here was shot and beheaded,

racefaceec90

i accidentally scared one of these out of a hedge as i rode past. sorry kes

derek_starship
    Free Member

My post from 18:20 seems to have failed. Anyway mrs. S was looking out the kitchen window and shouted “what’s that bird?” it was a sparrowhawk. Not a bad spot considering we live less than five miles outside Manchester centre.

redthunder
    Free Member

@molgrips

It’s a Little Egret.

Cattle Egret have an orange bill [bird smaller that a little egret]
    Great White Egret also have orange bill. [big]

matt_outandabout

What’s the difference between a Stoat and a Weasel?
    One is weaselly obvious, the other is stoatally different….

😛

jonnyrobertson

Could well be Little Egrets Molgrips. They’re one of the Uk’s recent success stories, on the amber list as a rare breeding species, numbers boosted by continental migrants during the winter. Saw one last winter stood in a field too, they’re fish eaters but like other Herons can mix it up a little, lizards, amphibians, young birds all fair game. Cattle Egrets, Great Egrets and White Storks still very much a rarity here although again, numbers are increasing but you could pretty much discount those to be honest.

Had a day off and it really should have had a ride in it somewhere but instead I cracked on with me garden. Two pairs of Reed Buntings made regular visits to the feeders, Lapwings cavorted in the fields out back Buzzards soared and mewed and a pair of Ravens flew south. A Green Woodpecker yaffled in the distance. A few Wigeon remained on the pools along with the usual Mallard, Tufties, Teal, Gadwall, Pochard, a few Shelduck, couple of Goosander, loads of Coots, Mute swans, Some Great Crested Grebes, a whooper X Mute swan hybrid, a Black Swan (prob escaped) and my favourite, the escaped male Hooded Merganser. He’s a little cracker so he is. The sad thing was the lack of Skylark song. The field at the back has been pretty intensively farmed these last 4 years, I’ve been here 6 but this is the first year I’ve not known any to be there. Shame, as it’s one of my favourite sounds and i love watching them fly ever higher whilst singing away. Still, the Swallows will be back soon, now that IS my favourite sound in the world! 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Today's wildlife spots’ is closed to new replies.