Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Today's food that is just wrong
  • cheers_drive

This appeared on the lunch table at my Danish in laws today

Liquid mackerel in tomato with such an appetising name!
    Wasn’t the worst thing I’ve ever tasted, no worse than Shiphams tuna paste from my child hood anyway.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Any ‘pie’ that comes as soup in a tin with a pastry roof.

grahamt1980

Pizza and burger paste for toast, have a search for the thread

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

This appeared on the lunch table at my Danish in laws today

cheers_drive

This is inspired by the burger that thread. I still can’t post the photo though which really adds to the experience

cheers_drive

Thanks bongohooha

trail_rat
    Free Member

At least you know what that is……

Im working in angola atm and have spent most meal times playing ” what noise did this make when it was alive” with the other expats.

Moo, baaa, oink , cockadoodle doo , woof , meow or ribbit.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Anything from Aldi that isn’t a vegetable or fruit

onandon
    Free Member

Makrel Guf, isn’t that a queef ?

Alex

what noise did this make when it was alive”

Made me laugh 🙂

The danes have some strange food choices. They never understood I wanted my sandwiches encased in BOTH sides of the bread for example. Germans are fun, there’s a thing called Handkäse which roughly translates to ‘music cheese’. Because when you eat it, your arse will play about half of the Ring Cycle through the medium of rectal oboe and small intestinal trumpet. We LOVED giving that to American Visitors as they were always polite and ate it 🙂

My worse mistake was asking in Ecuador for the ‘national dish’ – I received a spatchcocked guinea pig on a bed of chips. I’ve also had an unfortunate incident with Hungarian goulash but I can’t repeat that because I’m only just out of therapy 😉

Alex

Danish chocolate BTW can be fantastic. Someone who worked for me used to bring it back. Just occasionally you’d find fish or something in it, but it was worth the risk!

garage-dweller

That makrelguf looks good. What’s wrong with you.

andytherocketeer

Handkäse mit Musik

that’s local speciality here, along with the Ebbelwoi (aka Apfelwein/Cider) that often goes with it.

won’t catch me trying it.

Alex

Not sure where you are Andy but I was working at Braun not too far from Frankfurt and we’d go into the Taunus hills at the weekend. First time there in the summer I was offered Apfelwein with the rider it should be watered down. Obviously being a brit I ignored that and necked about three as it was hot and it tasted like non alcoholic apple juice.

I never did that again. During a period of a long hangover, I did think for a while I’d gone blind. Although the Ramazzotti chasers might have had something to do with that!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I still haven’t got my head around salted caramel. Just rank. I’d rather brush my teeth with Makrel guf.

andytherocketeer

@ Alex – Darmstadt, just south of Frankfurt

not so keen on the Apfelwein
    the hot stuff is just wrong

aracer
    Free Member

Looks like something which usually appears at the breakfast buffet (from which it is customary to make your lunch) when I’ve been to Norway. If it’s the same thing then I quite often put it on my crispbread and it is just fine.

bigrich

Special edition Ghostbusters lime flavoured Twinkies.

I’m not scared of processed sugar, but no.

tomhoward

Parma violet Cheshire cheese

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Frozen baked potatoes and frozen Yorkshire puddings.

onandon
    Free Member

Hey, don’t knock frozen bake potatoes. They’re actually pretty good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/food/marketers-not-chefs-are-ones-behind-many-crazy-fast-food-creations

Literally armed with spit cups, these four marketing gurus taste—and then spit out—test products before discussing their flavors and, equally important, their marketing potential. One example: a chicken sandwich topped with mashed potatoes and gravy. (Which, might I say, is genius.) Despite liking the taste (of course), the group is worried about its sales potential. They compare this to a burger topped with mac and cheese: Not as delicious, but far easier to market, because consumers will buy anything if it includes extra cheese.

Well worth a listen

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Hey, don’t knock frozen bake potatoes. They’re actually pretty good.”

but why ……. it doesnt take long to batter a fresh spud through the microwave and crisp it up on the BBQ(preferably as its quicker and cheaper 😉 ) or in the oven…..

brassneck

but why ……. it doesnt take long to batter a fresh spud through the microwave and crisp it up on the BBQ(preferably as its quicker and cheaper ) or in the oven…..

Same reason people buy pancake mix I guess

funkmasterp

Chicken in a can wins every time. Looks like the uglier cousin of a face hugger from Alien. I’d eat nearly anything, but wouldn’t eat one.

tomhoward

Cold toast

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Today's food that is just wrong’ is closed to new replies.