Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Today my hands froze
  • whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve used vapour barrier socks when winter climbing (Scotland and the Alps), they were made by Patagonia and the recommendation was to wear a very thin liner sock then the VBL sock then your normal thick insulation sock. Definitely worked though your feet did feel like they were sliding around inside your boots!

TBH, a plastic bag sealed at the ankle with a velcro/elasticated strap would be just as good and way cheaper.

When I was doing the Rovaniemi 150 (why I was in Lapland) I found there was a very narrow window of being comfortable and you really needed to keep on top of things according to how much effort you were expending. As an example, the checkpoint at the furthest point of the route at Kuusilampi was followed about thirty minutes of riding later by a very long, steady downhill section – it dropped about 130m in 16Km. I didn’t get wrapped up properly before this and I was well past the next checkpoint, maybe 30Km further, before I was warmed up again. Mostly it was a case of buff over/off mouth and nose or open up the front of the windshirt by a few cm, it was very small changes.

So if there was a hill ahead I’d open up the windshirt and pull down the buff as you don’t want to overheat, as I’d get to the top then the windshirt would be zipped up and if there was a descent, pull up the buff. In the instance above I probably should have put my duvet on!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

ok, taped up. Bubblewrap is available. I have stuffed kitchen roll in them too. I’m going to try the plastic gloves, it cant be any worse than this morning

My work collegue said it has warmed up and it’s now -20. I can still type so my fingers work. There is hope

nedrapier

Nice commuter! 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers , its the special snow machine. normal hardtail commuter (ragley piglet 2) doesn’t have proper ice spiker tyres, just some piddly things

slowster
    Free Member

Whilst the problem may be manifesting itself in cold hands, it will help if the rest of you is well warmed up. I would suggest you put your bike kit on enough time before leaving to allow it to warm up (especially shoes/boots). Running up and down the stairs indoors a couple of times before you set off would also get you warmed up.

sweaman2
    Free Member

-26C here in Calgary and I took the car 😳 If your doing this regularly I think the 45NTH Cobrafist would make a big difference. Also how long before leaving did you start the chemical handwarmers? I find they need time to warm up before I use them.

I also have a set of heated gloves but that’s $$$ and won’t work in the short term.

nedrapier

cobrafist? 😕

so named because of that particular snake’s famously warm hands?

sweaman2
    Free Member

https://45nrth.com/products/cobrafist

The ultimate in cold weather pogies.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well I made it home. much improved with the plastic gloves, taped up poggies and tissue stuffed in there. Cheers for the advice all, I was dreading the pain !

My buff still froze solid from all the snot but that is for another day!

nedrapier

But what made the biggest difference?

You’ll have to go back out. One variable at a time, please!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ha I did think that!. I would imagine that taping up the poggies was a big thing.

Or perhaps the plastic gloves

Of having the bike inside first.

ransos
    Free Member

That doesn’t seem to work for me. Core can be anything from comfortable to pretty warm, and I will still get frozen hands* at the start of a ride (for up to an hour) and frozen feet** after 2+ hours. Got this last weekend when temps were around -1 to +1°C.

A warm core doesn’t necessarily mean warm hands. But a cold core pretty much guarantees cold hands (and feet).

I’ve only once been in temperatures down to -25, and couldn’t keep warm. Snot freezing on the end of your nose is really painful!

blades2000
    Free Member

Here in Alaska I have found blocking off around the brakes/shifters works the best to ensure warm hands I use bubble wrap and then if its cold I will tighten the draw string around my arm. I have been out down to -18F with a liner glove and regular weight Dogwood design pogies.
    I have heard that the Revelate designs pogies are really good too, they have a removable liner in them. If you are looking for an alternative to keep your face warm. some friends use these (nosehat) and love them. I use a wool buff.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Today my hands froze’ is closed to new replies.