Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Today I had… (coffee content)
  • AndyP
    Free Member

to my (extremely) limited understanding, a long black starts of life as an espresso or 2, and then gets a dash of hot water.
    It’s the other way round. Starts as hot water, then gets espresso added to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

According to Wiki, it’s espresso poured into hot water to preserve the crema, and it’s a NZ/Aus thing.

You can’t really hold SB in contempt for not understanding what you mean when ask for something not on their menu, can you? It’d be like going into an Italian restaurant and asking for boeuf en croute.

ahwiles
    Free Member

You can’t really hold SB in contempt for not understanding what you mean when ask for something not on their menu, can you?

no, you’re right. a universal rule book would be handy.

but they still get it so very wrong even after i’ve told them what i want.

“a shot or 2, and a little bit of hot water”

“you mean an americano”

“er, whatever”

…and they give me a pint of filter coffee…

Luckily, i’m a massive ponce, and drink soy-lattes now. – it makes life easier for everyone (me and the under-paid SB employee).

Solo
    Free Member

I have, many times, and I’m usually disappointed. Or should I consider it better because it’s from a smaller business?

Theres an independent ?, coffee shop in the Warwick Uni precinct, Curiositea.

I tried it, but the staff were so rude and disorganized, I decided I could no longer give them my business.

molgrips
    Free Member

Again.. I could explain to Giorgio in the local Italian how to make a fine Rogan Josh, but I doubt it’d be perfect. Although I must say in MOST Starbucks I’ve been in (80% probably) the staff are pretty switched on and do a pretty good job of meeting your unusual requests. The exceptions are the ones in motorway services – I think they are staffed by the service station’s employees who are usually of a much lower standard. Busy city centre places get the best staff.

“you mean an americano”

“er, whatever”

So hang on – you said yes to Americano, and you get an Americano – seems reasonable to me. And you only get a pint if you ask for it. Smallest size is 8fl oz..

AndyP
    Free Member

“a shot or 2, and a little bit of hot water”

“you mean an americano”

“er, whatever”

So, up to this point, they’re right.

…and they give me a pint of filter coffee…
    You sure? Not an Americano?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve watched ’em do it.

(i guess it saves them time, and i guess most people can’t tell the difference between a pint of filter coffee, and a pint of hot water with a shot or 2 of espresso)

So, up to this point, they’re right.

sort of, but i want 100ml of water (at most), not 500mls.

sigh.

it’s only coffee.

(hang on, 8fl oz?! – i want a coffee not a swimming pool! etc.)

molgrips
    Free Member

(i guess it saves them time, and i guess most people can’t tell the difference between a pint of filter coffee, and a pint of hot water with a shot or 2 of espresso)

Ooh.. you’re coming over quite snobby there 🙂

And 8fl oz is a small mug, like you’d have in your house.

Plus you do know that if you aren’t happy with your drink they do it again, right? No questions asked.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m a bit too british to complain…

…you’re coming over quite snobby there…

perhaps, but, i doubt i could tell the difference – without one of each to compare.

…8fl oz is a small mug, like you’d have in your house…

not for coffee, not in my house anyway…

AndyP
    Free Member

i’m a bit too british to complain…
    But not too british to ask for something which isn’t on the menu? 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

why do people go into starbucks? it can’t be for the coffee as it’s shite.
    must be because the food is very good or VFM?

ahwiles
    Free Member

But not too british to ask for something which isn’t on the menu?

we’re all european (for?) now…

why do people go into starbucks?

sometimes it’s the only option.

(stations, city centres, etc.)

hilldodger
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

To be seen in Starbucks with bonus points for number of iToys on display…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Well now that would be a matter of opinion, wouldn’t it.

I prefer the milky drinks there to any of the other High St chains, and all of my local independents. So not shite, sorry.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

Because they’re not pretentious and want some caffeine?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Because they’re not pretentious and want some caffeine?

what is pretentious about wanting to drink something palatable?
    it’s not like there is a cost saving to be made by going into starbucks if anything such an obvious show of wealth is displayed by paying more for less, how pretentious is that.

Gachet
    Free Member

Well now that would be a matter of opinion, wouldn’t it.

I prefer the milky drinks there to any of the other High St chains, and all of my local independents. So not shite, sorry.

Totally agree, it think it’s become fashionable to say Starbucks is shite, I’ve heard people saying that McDonalds coffee is better FFS.

Personally I like Starbucks and the Egg Nog Latte I had at the weekend was very enjoyable if a bit different to anything I’ve ever tasted before! Plus their loyalty card scheme is quite good as you get free extra shots of expresso, flavoured syrups and wifi.

miketually
    Free Member

Starbucks: Turning the Ordinary into the Ubiquitous

Our small, Northern, provincial town has a Starbucks, a Nero and two Costas. There’re also two Coffee @ Elliots, a small local chain.

Then there’s Doctor Coffee’s cafe (run by Bel, who wrote the blog linked above), Clervaux and Golden Brown. Which seems a lot, but there are far more pubs, so why not?

atlaz
    Free Member

Only good Starbucks I’ve had in recent years was a cup of the Pike Place filter roast. But the reason for that was I was at Pike Place at 5am due to jetlag and drank the coffee watching the market get set up and talking to people on stalls. Best use of jet lag I’ve had so far.

brassneck

Go into a Boswells and come tell me Starbucks is crap.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

miket, thanks for the blog link, interesting reading!

miketually
    Free Member

Interestingly, the 2009 World Barista Champion no longer serves coffee with silly names in enormous Italian-named mugs. He sells espresso or espresso with milk (in either 4oz, 6oz or 8oz cups).

2009 World Barista Champion Gwilym Davies is Done With Lattes & Flat Whites

Stuey01
    Free Member

Threads like this always bring out the worst kind of sneering coffee elitist snob w@nkery.

IMO the Pike Place Roast filter at starbucks is pretty nice usually. I also like their americano better than any other high st chain. I only drink black coffee so don’t know about other types.

It could be because I’m conditioned to it, having a starbucks in our office, or it could be that it is actually quite nice, whatever.

Recently started using a cafetiere to make my own in the office, it’s not as nice, but way cheaper.

atlaz
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s snobbery. Would it be snobbery if people said they preferred, say, Stella to a can of Tesco own brand lager? Probably not, it’s a matter of taste. I find Starbucks generally overpriced for what it is. By the same token, I’m happy to pay more for a genuinely good cup of coffee. Admittedly, a lot of the good coffee shops in London that are starting to open are achingly cool but that doesn’t stop the coffee being good.

molgrips
    Free Member

what is pretentious about wanting to drink something palatable?

Nothing. However you come over as someone who wants to pretend they are better than the plebs who drink at SB. If you’d said ‘personally I can’t stand the stuff’ there’d have been no issue.

Would it be snobbery if people said they preferred, say, Stella to a can of Tesco own brand lager?

No, it’s not snobbery to prefer one thing over the other. It’s snobbery to look down on people with more popular tastes though.

If neither of these things were genuinely not meant then say so, and be more tactful next time or you’ll sound like nobs again and start an argument 🙂

Re SB, I’m not under any illusions, it’s nothing like the best I’ve had. Whittards single origin coffees brewed at home are much nicer and the best I’ve ever had is Jacqmotte in Brussels, but Starbucks is quite drinkable. More so than Nero, Costa and Cardiff’s independents. However what Starbucks do really well is sandwiches, milky sweet concoctions (caramel macchiatos, eggnog lattes etc – they seem to be the only people who can manage not to put too much cloying sweet vanilla in their vanilla lattes) and the blended ice drinks which are lovely, hard to replicate and just not as good anywhere else.

I won’t defend their prices tho!

atlaz
    Free Member

molgrips – Don’t recall I expressed any snobbery. I’m not keen on Starbucks and won’t drink it unless there are no better alternatives because of that. Nothing to do with the brand, I’m just not a fan.

peterfile
    Free Member

On a lighter note…..i always accidentally ask for an “americano” in Starbucks in the US. You get a sort of blank stare followed by;

“so is that just a regular coffee then or do you want a european americano?”

Surprising clarity and simplicity from the yanks for once. 😉

An “Americano”, from the US perspective, is actually a Eurpopean quirk, not an american one!

From Starbuck themselves:

In Europe, coffee is essentially espresso – which, in America, isn’t very much coffee. To create a caffè americano – a coffee that satisfies the American preference for more sips in every cup – Europeans simply add hot water to their espresso. While the americano is similar in strength and taste to American-style brewed coffee, there are subtle differences achieved by pulling a fresh shot of espresso for the beverage base. The best way to discover these nuances, of course, is to try a cup yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

Atlaz that was aimed at MrSmith and Awhiles.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nothing. However you come over as someone who wants to pretend they are better than the plebs who drink at SB. If you’d said ‘personally I can’t stand the stuff’ there’d have been no issue.

can’t stop you interpreting my post that way.
    but it’s nothing to do with snobbery. their coffee is mediocre at best and all the milk based drinks watery and insipid but that seems to appease the majority of their customers.

i have had coffee from Gwilyms cart and it’s far more unpretentious than any starbucks. just a table, tarpaulin, grinder and coffee machine.

you can’t get these there either
    (starbucks caramel frappachino)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Caramel Cream Frappuccino® Blended Crème
    Milk blended with caramel sauce and ice then topped with whipped cream and caramel drizzle.

Usually, just the thought of oozing melting caramel makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But this sweet and creamy beverage leaves us wonderfully cold. Blended with milk and ice, the homey flavour of caramel take a delightfully refreshing turn. Familiar favorites reinvented for your enjoyment.

so does a ‘frappachino’ have any coffee in it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Peterfile,

. They still have “Caffe Americano” On the menu boards in the USA though.
    So if they are giving you “regular coffee” then that’s Brewed (filter) Coffee I would have thought.
    (not an Americano?)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

but it’s nothing to do with snobbery. their coffee is mediocre at best and all the milk based drinks watery and insipid but that seems to appease the majority of their customers.

Even the way you type is pretentious… brilliant 😀

(I’ve never bought an SB coffee BTW)

molgrips
    Free Member

MrSmith – so what if it doens’t?

Anyway for your illucidation, the ‘cream’ range of frappucinos don’t have coffee in at all, they are for people who don’t like coffee. They taste like runny ice cream, which is no bad thing.

The coffee based ones do have coffee in.

Irony overdose!

The milk drinks only contain milk, espresso and syrup. How can they be watery? They don’t water the milk down.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Even the way you type is pretentious… brilliant

well i deleted the preceding “one thinks it’s” and you obviously couldn’t hear my oxbridge plummy accent. (it’s amazing i have one despite growing up on a council estate and never going to university)

MrSmith
    Free Member

illucidation

pretentious? 😆

Irony overdose!

by milk based i meant cappuccino/latte etc as opposed to espresso, i was unaware they actually sold milk/sugar based drinks

molgrips
    Free Member

They don’t put water in the cappucinos either, so you should probably blame the farmer or the dairy if you think they’re watered down. If it’s too milky you ask for a smaller size with an extra shot.

I guess this stuff is pretty complicated for some folk, isn’t it?

(see I can do this insinuation stuff too!)

growing up on a council estate and never going to university

Oh.. well that explains it then…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*One is growing rather fond of Mr Smith*

How about we rendezvous in this delightful little coffee emporium one knows in Oxford’s Covered Market, what?

MrSmith
    Free Member

i think i went there a while ago? family roasting firm been there a while?
    i may be confusing it with a pie shop though 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Today I had… (coffee content)’ is closed to new replies.