Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Today….. I am resigning
  • cardo

Going to hand in my notice today… Any interesting suggestions for the method of delivery?

ThePinkster

Tied round a brick?

iolo
    Free Member

dear boss,
    I quit

jam-bo

in written form, as politely as possible.

no point burning any bridges.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Curl one out on the recipients desk and slot said letter of resignation right in it.?

alwillis

I let my last boss go into great detail about the upcoming project he wanted me to take on before I told him. The back pedalling and confusion was priceless.

wwaswas

Curl one out on the recipients desk and slot said letter of resignation right in it.?

bar the ‘curling’ bit Kryton’s your man for this.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if your in an office
    Book a meeting room, write it, hand it over and don’t shit on the desk.

I was a little cruel that I let my boss do all the prep for my appraisal and then quit before he started.

cardo

I’ve promised myself to keep it professional and not go off on one.. but it’s tempting to blaze up the pitch fork and issue the hob nobs to my work colleagues.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Feel ill after the Kryton comment. Would it not dissolve the desk or note?

clubber
    Free Member

Short and simple:

Dear Boss,

In line with the terms of my contract I am giving X months notice. This makes my final day xx/xx/xxxx.

Yours sincerely,

cardo

or the above if you don’t like bridges 🙂

lowey

+1 for never burning bridges… it can be surprising how this can affect you later in life 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but it’s tempting to blaze up the pitch fork and issue the hob nobs to my work colleagues.

On one last day the useless lass on our team said something and I may have let rip about how shit she was. This was just before she had a disciplinary meeting. She stormed out and quit in the middle of it. My boss and his boss put a lot of money behind the bar in thanks for saving them the hassle of getting rid of her 🙂 So check if they need anything saying in the next month.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

+1 for never burning bridges… it can be surprising how this can affect you later in life

Talking from experience.?

Liftman

The only way to do it is by cake of course :mrgreen:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ac9_1366146911

Kryton57

Ming the Merciless – Member
    Feel ill after the Kryton comment. Would it not dissolve the desk or note?

After about 3 years of subscription membership, I finally feel I’ve reached a level of acceptance reputation on the STW forum.

Perhaps not in the way I might have wanted to though.

jamiea
    Free Member

4 weeks ago I said “It’s about time I moved on”, boss said “Yep, I understand people need to move on.” And that was about it 😆

Penultimate day here, no one lined up to replace me (there’s only me and him in the office), Boss said earlier “Um, I suppose I’d better learn how to use the software you use. Well, too late now!” Almighty-being-of-your-choice help him!

Cheers,
    Jamie

cardo

I have got to get my timing right too… we are due a bonus the first sales bonus for 2 years!. If I quit before they cook the figures then my bonus will be a boiled sweet or something of similar value. It is pay day so I think an exchange of envelopes is called for…. I suppose I could just write I QUIT on mine.

pondo

wwaswas –

bar the ‘curling’ bit Kryton’s your man for this.[/quote]
    Pebbledash is the word that springs to mind.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Through the medium of interpretative dance.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I gave a polite, professional, to the point letter informing them of 4 weeks notice. I stood there as he read it. Once he read it, I handed him my leave card with my three remaining weeks booked on it.

He looked at me a bit puzzled.

“that’s right”, I said. “my last day is this Friday”.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

we need more info before we can advise, we need to know why, then depending on the why will help the collective hive mind to point you to the appropriate delivery method.

clubber
    Free Member

Companies are allowed to not approve that holiday request (but pay you for outstanding holiday, of course)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

clubber – Member

Companies are allowed to not approve that holiday request (but pay you for outstanding holiday, of course)[/quote]
    I reckon I would be the sort of boss that replied no it’s not 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Was it not already approved?

WackoAK
    Free Member

I reckon I would be the sort of boss that replied no it’s not

Fine, here’s my sick note.

Solo
    Free Member

Any interesting suggestions for the method of delivery?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As part of leaving and having a notice it’s normal to hand over and do things properly. I guess if you want to avoid that you could do it without pay.

cardo

The reasons for leaving are reasonably straight forward:

Prospects for promotion — NIL
    Payrises in the last 5 years despite hitting my targets — NIL
    Training budget for staff — NIL
    Career development — NIL

The realisation that I am going to be doing the same thing as I have for the last 8 years possibly for the next 8 years — VERY HIGH
    The boss telling us that there is no money for pay rises when they book holidays to St Lucia, pay for son and daughters new cars, driving lessons and insurance and university fees ,private regs on all of the company vehicles.
    There is more but I can’t really divulge that…

thehustler
    Free Member

TBH when I left my last ’employed’ job to move over to our own business I knew it was going to happen approx. 3-4 months in advance, I let my boss know as soon as I was sure and all round bosses customers etc it was appreciated as it gave them time to plan/ replace me.

chewkw
    Free Member

Don’t have to be polite these days when facing zombie maggots, just do whatever you think is right.

Benelli M4 pumping throughout the office? No? :mrgreen:

gordimhor

Bit late for you now but you could always tweet your resignation 24 hours in advance 😆

totalshell

after id done my 20 years i gave a very polite months notice, the area manager came down had a chat his parting shot was ‘you wont leave….’ at the end of the day i put my phone laptop and car keys in the store safe and went home.. i havent been back since.. the incompetant fools continued to pay me for 4 months after i had left..

chewkw
    Free Member

the hustler – Member

TBH when I left my last ’employed’ job to move over to our own business I knew it was going to happen approx. 3-4 months in advance, I let my boss know as soon as I was sure and all round bosses customers etc it was appreciated as it gave them time to plan/ replace me.

You do that only when they have been nice to you.

Kryton57

The reasons for leaving are reasonably straight forward:

Prospects for promotion — NIL
    Payrises in the last 5 years despite hitting my targets — NIL
    Training budget for staff — NIL
    Career development — NIL

Understandable.

The boss telling us that there is no money for pay rises when they book holidays to St Lucia, pay for son and daughters new cars, driving lessons and insurance and university fees ,private regs on all of the company vehicles.

Part of the process, welcome to real life as an employee, suck it up.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Never burn bridges.

You might need trolls to do your bidding, one day.

kcal

Worked for three companies in total, and one college. Currently self-employed.

Tempting as it is to write a snotty resign letter, I decided (and was advised) it wasn’t way forward, probably right. Mentally compose it but don’t write it (or send it). Came close.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Strange attitude by some don’t you think, STW aside for a moment, Shirley you’d just be polite and succinct, no?

hooli

Yep, being polite costs nothing and despite what you may think right now (understandably), they can’t have been that bad to you if you have been there 8 years.

cardo

Polite and professional option is the winner to be honest despite the temptation to vent a spleen or two. This really should have happened before but time flies and unless you are forced to do something it’s easier to just stay put and keep turning up… I have now got an opportunity to retrain and go back to the tools working locally and in an environment that isn’t the same office every day. I did vow to myself that was the last time I was going to be told “well done great job , oh sorry no pay rise this year” as they shake your hand 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Today….. I am resigning’ is closed to new replies.