• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • To van or not to van…..Renault Traffic or Skoda Octavia estate or ?
  • mau00149
    Free Member

Common problem on here, I have been thinking about this for a while and can’t decide whether to go down the van route for replacement vehicle….

Background / Requirements:
    Live in Inverness, north of Scotland
    Currently doing between 10-12,000 miles a year
    Currently drive a 2.0 Subaru Impreza sport (petrol giving 31mpg, £260 tax, £330ish insurance)
    Vehicle would be used every day (including 38mile round trip commute on A/B roads and weekend trips etc.
    Vehicle would be used for transporting mountain bikes, kite surf gear and snowsports gear (when applicable).
    Also to be used for weekend trips (not sure if I installed a basic camper conversion it would encourage more trips / overnight use rather than current day trips…i.e. expand opportunities)

Options
    Boiled the choice down to a Renault Traffic SWB SL115 (ideally with a seat or two in the back with windows and classified as a car rather than a panel van with restricted speed limits) (transporter would be nice but come at a premium for the VW image) or a 2.0 diesel Skoda Octavia estate (1.8 petrol may be just as good given the annual mileage?)

Been looking into it way too much and head is so confused:

Octavia: would be nicer to drive, more refined, better mpg (mid 50’s), think tax is around £125, wife happier driving it (although she does have her own car), already have bike roof rack/bike rack and a long thin roofbox for storage of kit. Although, bikes on roof lowers consumption if more than one travelling, less storage space for kit compared to traffic, can’t easily get changed in back or shelter from weather when at beach or returning from ride

Renault Trafic: ok to drive, space and convenience for transporting bike/kites/boards and toys, possible part camper conversion giving options of overnights, safer bike/kit storage/transportation away from prying eyes, lower mpg (upper 30’s), think its similar tax at £125 and may become “mate with a van”

Both would have to be bought for around 4-6k.

Any thoughts / experiences or alternative options?

geoffj

Going from a Scooby License Looser to a Van will be a big culture shock. Have you actually driven one of the ones you are suggesting?

I had a fiat ducato van with a part camper conversion and whilst it was useful, it was relatively hard work to drive and you have to think so much more about where you are going and where you can park. I’d think long and hard before buying another.

If you are going down the part camper conversion, what about a Bongo?

Alternatives – Fiat Multipla, VW/SEAT/Ford people carrier with a couple of seats removed or Truck Cab Pickup – plenty of space for toys.

nealglover
    Free Member

Volkswagen T4 Multivan sounds ideal. Lovely to drive on a daily basis, and gets roughly 40mpg combined (45+ on a motorway run)

My needs and usage are similar to yours and I love mine.

Mine is a LHD German model as I prefer the 150bhp (remapped etc to 185)

But the UK model was 102bhp and easily improved to 140 ish with no problems.

madhouse

I’d go for the Octavia over the van but the people carrier thought from geoffj is a good middle ground, one of my friends takes a couple of seats out of his Galaxy and his bike goes in without removing a thing (29er too).

kilo

We toyed with a van (and thought about it again last week) but use a people carrier and remove seats as needed to give van like capacity and will replace with like if required. We only run one vehicle and a van is not suitable for carting elderly relatives around in or going anywhere nice and genteel. Also around our way vans are always getting screwed if left overnight so a people carrier was a sensible compromise

xcgb
    Free Member

Dont forget in a traffic van or similar you have lower speed limits on dual carriageway 70mph (becomes 60) and national speed limit 60 becomes 50 Motorways are the same though

Lots of van drivers on my speed awareness course didn’t know that

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi xcgb if the van has rear windows and seats from the factory it will probably say diesel car on the V5 so the speed limits are the same.

I went through the predicament your in now…. various estate cars with seats down roof bars racks etc. Was all fine till we had a child. I didnt like having 1 seat up 1 down with a bike beside the child seat. The risk of injury in an accident was high.

Sold a new-ish at the time estate car and bought a 1998 VW caravelle. It just purred along. Took the back row of seats out (was an 8 so became a 5 seater). It was so much more usefull than a car. 5 bikes in the back!
    I have had a few transporters now. The T5 2.5 is thirsty the 1.9 is ok and a better compromise for me.
    I dont drive as fast as i used too, but leave on time and dont feel rushed on the journey.
    Wont be as quick as a Subaru but yours isnt a turbo anyway!! 😀
    I would think for kite surfing and biking its way more suitable. Think carefully about a camper conversion as most leave almost no storage space so your back to racks and roof bars again!

xcgb
    Free Member

probably say diesel car on the V5 so the speed limits are the same.

Not sure about this as I was told its based on the chassis, they did say its a real grey area though

therag
    Free Member

I had similar decision, sold a honda type r and bought a 3 year old vauxhall vivaro. A remap took it from a very sluggish 80bhp to 120bhp.
    I fitted a double seat (£25 from a local mini bus company) with built in seat belts behind the drivers seat and it is now my perfect vehicle. I use it every day for work, shopping and trail centres.
    I did want a transporter but couldnt afford or justify the extra £5000 or going back 3-4 years.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’ve been through the argument in my head many times and went for a car every time, until last month.

Got a crew cab Transit, 6 seater, enough room to sleep across the back seats (I’m about 5’9 and it’s just the right size – Trafic was narrower), very back section has had three bikes in so far badly packed and there’s still plenty of room in there, can’t see 6 well packed being a problem. Trafic was better to drive (more car like) but Transit on the same mileage felt in a LOT better condition, gearbox felt like it was new instead of the very tired feeling one in the Trafic, drive a few but they all worried me a bit.

I absolutely love it and would not go back from van ownership at the moment. BUT, I wouldn’t have just a van. If you are doing a lot of mileage where you just need the car you will get very bored of a van and really start to resent it – especially on the roads you have up there!

My advice would be to split your budget and get a simple car for most of your mileage (could even be something pretty small ie a two seater) and a crew cab for family and biking duties. I have no regrets doing it that way and it means the van can be left pretty dirty (not that it’s in that stage – yet!) with biking gear tucked away in the back ready to go the next time you need it and the car is clean and doesn’t stink (from knee pads left in it usually) every Monday morning.

If you do it that way the lower speed limits shouldn’t matter much either as your rushing about will be done in the car and the trips in the van should be enjoyable rather than rushed…

gusamc
    Free Member

Berlingo here
    pros
    cheap to buy and run (1.6 HDI Diesel, 50 mpg(codger at more or less speed limits), 12.5k service intervals
    can take out rear LHS single seat(gives 2 bikes down side, fronts out) and/or rear RHS twin seats (lots more space) with 2 bolts
    have had 2 mtb, a Beta Alp 200 trail bike (had to rotate bars and unbolt) rear light and an 8ft6 surfboard all in and locked
    good load shape and height for working with
    easy drive/road+side visibility/normal size/fits under barriers etc
    – tie down points etc/cubby holes/storage
    cons
    front seats don’t recline so max surfboard length 8ft 6ish and we manage this as gf is 4ft 10 so board goes diagonally from rear and sits on her headrest below her head……
    rolls like a barge on corners and has the high speed aerdynamics of a brick which stuff fuel consumption at 90pmh(30ishmpg and more or less real top speed)

for us it’s ideal, big enough to do two bikes, camping gear, 1 surf board, have a dirty+wet storage area and seperate dry/clean stuff area, door lifts up so can be used for changing etc under if raining and ok for daily work commute etc, carrying 4 people (as I have single seat perma out)
    *edit changes desired, bit more poke and stiffer suspension

boblo
    Free Member

I looked at this recently. Came to the VW Caddy Maxi Life conclusion… Will take the tandem in one go wheels on and 7 chums + kit for climbing weekends.

I’m away ’til August but will be buying as soon as I get back (unless I see the mother of all deals in the next few weeks).

transapp
    Free Member

I had just a van for years, Ford transit and then Renault Master. I loved owning them, I’d still prefer a van if I didn’t drive 30k / yr. I had mine purely as a toybox, nothing to do with work.
    So, in your position, I’d be getting the Traffic. chucking a bed in the back as well as a couple of seats and loving life in the slow lane.
    Actually, anyone want to buy an A4?

Ambrose

Just had a new shape BingoBongo. Love it to bits, it is perfect for me. All gusamc’s issues have been dealt with, all the good points have been kept. I have modified it by fitting a butyl rubber liner throughout the back and fitted an outside temperature gauge, so I can be more worried about icy roads.

It’s the 1.6 diesel and hits 90+ easily (allegedly) on the M4 commute.

It carries two people, two fully built bikes, two bob trailers and two dogs with ease, plus a huge amount of personal kit for weekend/ longer trips. Plenty long enough for two to sleep in too, three at a pinch.

Edukator
    Free Member

Buy both.

totalshell

i have both..
    van great for long distances 6 spd mrs does not like the passeneger position.
    car great uber reliable comfortable, i’d chose the car if i could only have 1
    running costs van 30-35mpg real world, 170 tax 350 ish ins. car 35-40 mpg 115 tax (ish) 267 to insure

mau00149
    Free Member

cheers for all the comments. Couple of mates have traffics, one a LWB low top (panel van self camper converted- main vehicle) and one a SWB high top (panel van -second vehicle) Have driven a LWB traffic minibus for a couple of days a couple of years ago and was impressed with how it drove. The scooby isn’t the turbo as mentioned above hence is more of a warm hatch than a hot hatch, great fun in winter though 😉 plus i should really be trying to behave on the roads as will get caught someday…

Cant really do both as don’t really have space to park both and think the running costs of 2 vehicles would soon add up hence having to go with just the one.

Like the idea of a berlingo/people carrier, had a berlingo hired for a week on holiday and was impressed with the space and how it drove but at the end of the day it is still a citreon…..maybe it’s bad to go on past reputations…poorly made and lots of electrial problems?

Good mix of views above, wife has seat altea diesel which we would could probably make a good combo with a van if she was happy to drive a van on occasion…..

Work may be changing in the next 6 months which may have an influence on mileage as well….

hhmmm i’m so indecisive!!

oh, and would be interesting to see how people store their bikes in there vans.

4×4 pick-up I’d say, especially based on location, but would be struggling for owt decent at that money

molgrips
    Free Member

How about a bigger estate? Modeo/Passat? Seats down they are easily big enough for kit. I would far rather drive a car than a van.

Northwind

Aye, big gap between those two tbh, if you’re tempted towards a van then a bigger estate would probably be a better compromise?

molgrips
    Free Member

Esp with all those windy country roads. Octies are not that big remember.

MoreCashThanDash

As a very happy Octavia estate owner, they aren’t that big, only a Golf chsssis underneath. I’d look at a people carrier rather than a full size van unless you are really sure you will regulalrly need all that extra space, car park issues, possible speed limit issues etc

fatboyjon

I had this very dilema forced upon me a couple of years ago when some useless waste of flesh set fire to me much loved SWB mid hieght top transit van. I ended up buying an Octavia VRS 1.8 petrol and 4 Thule fancy roof carriers. I’d had 2 extra seats put in the back of the van so it would seat 5 and take 5 bikes at a squeeze but it really was a squeeze without dismantling them. It drove like a van, was noisy and cost more to run but it was my van and at the time I loved it. Since buying the Skoda, I can carry 4 bodies and 4 bikes with ease and in comfort, a fifth bike in the boot and 5 people if needed and still have more useable space for kit with the boot. I wouldn’t say it was an economical car to run but it’s a huge amount of grin and I’d check your tax figures because unless it’s changed dramatically since the 04 plate model I have, a tax disc sets me back £245 a year. Sometimes I do miss having the van but those times are the exception as the car is better 99% of the time. Plus you don’t get asked to do all your mates errands when you don’t have a van.

NZCol

Had a T5 for a while – 1.9TDi SWB. 6spd manual. Nice once remapped. Was noisy as all **** though being a panel van. Great for gear and bikes etc. Borrowed a lot by friends ! Also had my 911 then as well for car fun.
    Got fed up with Van though, while useful it was not much cop to drive.
    Ended up selling both and got an RS4 Avant which does both duties perfectly well.
    Only van I would consider again is a California or a Caravelle sort of thing with a bit of extra refinement.

nealglover
    Free Member

NZcol, totally right about panel vans, anyone going from a car to a panel can will not like it for a daily drive as they are very noisy unless you do a load of Dynamat work.

A T5 Cali would be the opposite end of the scale price wise though :mrgreen:

Veeeeeery nice, but mega bucks.

Northwind

This might be of relevance? It’s a thread I started about specific models but has a bit of general discussion of car vs people carrier vs van

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/galaxy-sharan-alhambra-any-obvious-competition

NZCol

ng – yeah, i’ve bought one, getting it shipped soon all going to plan.

boblo
    Free Member

Don’t think you can easily get bikes in a California (tandem length bikes at least). We looked at this as an option and the fixed back seat/bed thingy made it a non starter for a long bike.

rickmeister

Have a look at the Caddy Maxi Kombi… I think that would be my ideal vehicle now…. also thinking of changing from our T5 Kombi and Smart Car to one vehicle….

Guessing winter tyres would be ok though not as good as 4wd in your neck of the woods.

rickmeister

Its been done many times before but the speed limit for a vehicle is not dependent on tax class, chassis, type approval and stuff all make it very complicated, especially for people carrying vans…. its been done before on here and the T4 forum…

Back to the OP…. Bluemotion Caddy Maxi Kombi FTW. (just dont look at the price tag)

a11y

boblo – Member

Don’t think you can easily get bikes in a California (tandem length bikes at least). We looked at this as an option and the fixed back seat/bed thingy made it a non starter for a long bike.
    Correct. The California’s based on the SWB T5 and once a rear seat’s in place you’ve got insufficient length to carry bikes inside unless you remove both wheels (which seems silly given it’s a van). However, it’s perfectly possible with a LWB which adds an extra 400mm to the wheelbase. A 29er (and DH bikes) just fit with the rear wheel just sticking into the gap between the front seats. I manage 4-up in the van like this with 2 bikes inside and 2 on the rear-mounted rack:

Not sure I’d want a van as my only means of transportation if I was covering 10-12k miles a year, but I enjoy driving too so it depends on how much you could compromise. I’m very glad to have bought a van though as it’s changed our lifestyle: started with an Ikea futon strapped in the rear but eventually had it converted to a camper once we knew we enjoyed it. Bear in mind a big van’s going to be significantly worse on fuel than any estate/people carrier though: 34mpg in our 2.5 130bhp T5 van for example.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘To van or not to van…..Renault Traffic or Skoda Octavia estate or ?’ is closed to new replies.