Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • To the photographers.
  • .duncan
    Free Member

A mix of DH, DJ and XC photos here and i'm looking for some advice and tips really as i'm finding it harder to push my photo taking.

Any advice welcome.

Mackem

they look pretty damn good to me. Love that 3rd one.

rs
    Free Member

eh… they all look pretty good to me.

edsbike
    Free Member

All look mighty impressive to me duncan.

You need that overly-critical guy from the other 'show me your photos' thread to comment on these!

Ed

Milkie
    Free Member

Stunning! All I can think of is you could remove the tape from the last 3 photo's although it works with the last. 😉

2nd to last photo, I think it would be better if you could see the riders face/eyes.

I would be extremely happy with those photo's!

.duncan
    Free Member

@Milkie, thanks. interesting what you say about the eyes, i could bring them out in photoshop. Hadn't considered that before.

Ti29er
    Free Member

One rule of thumb is that if an image is not working, you're too far away.

1) I wonder what you could do with a tighter frame on the rider and trees would look like? With no reference to how he got airborne!

2) Doesn't work as the riders are lost in the frame, close in on them and maybe take it from behind them so we see them in one 1/3 of the image but over their shoulders? A better crop to the left of frame would not see any gap after the tree.

3)A better crop to take out the top of the ramp which appears in the bottom of the image.

4) The flash is firing directly at camera. 1/10th of a second later and it'd be initiated behind the rider creating the rim lighting effect you require.

5) Beware very wide angles as it distorts the rider in the frame, especially any items close to the camera (over-large head and tiny wheels).

6) Not much you can do about this one – it's OK as a filler shot. Maybe get a higher vantage point?

Creg

They are all fantastic.

Very jealous 😀

stumpy01

Hmmm, hard to know where to suggest you 'push' with your pics. They are all great.
    I guess it's a question of looking for the creative angle that I often struggle with when out taking pics. You could try a photo session where you work in only a specific way to get you thinking – something like only used a fixed focal length or don't use flash or use only flash etc, or something more subject led like close ups of riders' faces/emotions etc. rather than the overall scene…..?

I think the riboon in pics 4, 5 & 6 give the images more context so would leave them in. It's just a shame that the ribbon in pic5 doesn't run around the entire background, but stops at the riders hand.
    I like pic 6 as it's one of those alternative views that are often missed for the obvious shots.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

1 and 2 are pants (naff crop on 1 being the main reason – not enough focus on the subject, on 2 it is the pose of the riders that spoils the effect), 3, 4 and 5 are very good (nice angles, good lighting), 6 is okay (good feeling of action using a longer lens, but looks a little 'thin'). .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘To the photographers.’ is closed to new replies.