Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • To the heart of the southern moor…
  • ontor
    Free Member

Had a spin into the middle of the moor yesterday on the crossbike, took a couple of pics;

I’ve always loved “the dartmoor volcano” at redlake and had a lot of fun exploring routes up on the tops, a really beautiful day to be out and about in the sunshine.
    Anyone else around here yesterday?

epicyclo

Lovely.

(Don’t know if I’m the only one who can’t see the pics here. I opened them separately)

ontor
    Free Member

bother.

How’s this;

julioflo
    Free Member

What was your route? Did you ride up on the old train line from behind Ivybridge? Although you came across the two moors way, so must have been over towards Puper’s Hill?

eviljoe
    Free Member

Nice pictures!

I was on Dartmoor yesterday too (promises of sunshine that never materialised…) spent a couple of hours bouncing around Lustleigh and Manaton admiring the snowdrops.

I’ve only ridden the Avon dam route down South- is there much mtb worthy?

julioflo
    Free Member

Yep, fair bit of riding around the Southern Moor if you know where to look. I live in Buckfastleigh and tend to cycle from home for my rides in the week. But as with a lot of Dartmoor stuff I seem to spend quite a bit of time linking stuff on the lanes.

Favourites would be:
    Dr.Blackalls Drive. Can climb up off road from Newbridge and blat back down – and there is some “superfast singletrack” that forks off from the main bridleway back down to the River if you know where to look…I make the descent about 10 minutes!

Hembury Woods – I think this is naughty as it is National Trust owned, but there is some great single track in there.

Cross Furzes up to Pupers hill and descend to Ludgate and then Chalk Ford, then Scorriton.

Combestone Tor descent to Dartmeet

I know Big Peaks do a shop ride on a Thursday Night. I’ve yet to get out on a ride with them, but I expect they ride a few more routes over to between Ashburton and Hay Tor?

ontor
    Free Member

Very roughly, the route was supposed to be something like this;

in the end I modified it so I’m looking forward to trying this again

julioflo
    Free Member

oh – nice route – how far was that? Been thinking of riding that sort of route from home….

ontor
    Free Member

oh, must be about 30km when all is done. might do it sunday

enigmas
    Free Member

Hey, nice pics of red lake, re-minds me of the ten tors days before i discovered mountain biking 😀
    I’ve heard a story about the lake there being toxic due to a very high amount of arsenic in it, no idea if its true or not!

Heres a few pics of my ride on dartmoor a few days ago near princetown 🙂

[/url] 2011-09-25 11.58.30 by enigmas2012, on Flickr[/img]

The ‘widowmaker’!
    [/url] 2011-09-25 11.58.34 by enigmas2012, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] 2011-09-25 14.29.17 by enigmas2012, on Flickr[/img]

It was even warm enough for just shorts and jersey!
    [/url] 2011-09-25 14.20.47 by enigmas2012, on Flickr[/img]

Rained the night before so was a mudbath!

[/url] 2011-09-25 13.22.12 by enigmas2012, on Flickr[/img]

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Oh dude, that’s all over my (very) old stomping ground; I’m down in Plym tomoz for a few days, should i bring mi bike?

julioflo
    Free Member

So on the South Dartmoor theme, here us a view of the Singletrack that feeds off from the Dr.Blackalls drive bridleway near Poundsgate and Newbridge. Coming down the bridleway, descend to within 500m of the road [maybe 1km] and on the right, sort of over the edge of the track, there is the remains of a little bit of quarrying.
    Just past this you can see a grass track doubling back to the right and snaking off down the hill back towards the River, pull a foot out flat out handbrake turn and take the track as shown on the map!

ontor
    Free Member

Arsenic thing is bobbins.

Bring the bike!

slugwash
    Free Member

Great pics above guys ^^^

I’ve heard a story about the lake there being toxic due to a very high amount of arsenic in it, no idea if its true or not!

Swimming in Redlake last July (there’s also plenty of brown trout living quite healthily in it)…

Redlake Bivi Ride – Flickr

ontor
    Free Member

We’ve got to go for a spin slugwash, I was doing the same thing that weekend!

slugwash
    Free Member

Thinking of doing a Dartmoor bivi maybe first weekend of March. Definately be doing a night ride up to Redlake next time the weather drops below zero and the ground becomes hard. Will keep you informed 🙂

ontor
    Free Member

Great!

lucien

there’s also plenty of brown trout living quite healthily in it

That means something different where I come from…. 😯

OCB
    Free Member

I’m off up there today I think …

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Nice pic’s

Here’s one of some silliness last year:

eviljoe
    Free Member

So on the South Dartmoor theme, here us a view of the Singletrack that feeds off from the Dr.Blackalls drive bridleway near Poundsgate and Newbridge. Coming down the bridleway, descend to within 500m of the road [maybe 1km] and on the right, sort of over the edge of the track, there is the remains of a little bit of quarrying.
    Just past this you can see a grass track doubling back to the right and snaking off down the hill back towards the River, pull a foot out flat out handbrake turn and take the track as shown on the map!

Julioflo- does this bring you out at Deadman’s Corner, Lower Hannaford kind of way? Have you got a GR for the start?

Cheers

Joe

OCB
    Free Member

… and I was (up there today).

Some of the bike tire tracks looked *very* wide … I did wonder if someone had taken a fatbike up there in the last few days ?

yunki
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure that I spotted fatbike spoor near Bovey last week too…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘To the heart of the southern moor…’ is closed to new replies.