Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • To Talas or not to Talas?
  • jkomo

Will I bother to change the ride height? Should I just save £200 and go for regular fox?
    Also, can all fox 32’s have the travel changed? If I buy 150 and it’s too long, can I change the spacers to make it 140/130?
    Cheers all.

metalheart
    Free Member

Personally I’d say no.

I have a float 120 and a talas 100/120/140.

Float is a better fork ime

Ymmv…

jimw
    Free Member

Which bike? Put talas’ on my Orange 5, use it once in a blue moon. Would get floats or current equivalent if I had the choice again

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’ve had talas forks , never used the different lengths options , and didn’t rate the plushness of the talas forks , love floats . Save your money !!!

james
    Free Member

It might depend on how 150mm is designed around the frame and how that affects your riding will depend on lots of other things

how high your BB height will be with the fork at 150mm relative to what the bike is designed around/waht is normal, may sway things as to whether an in between travel would be useful in inbetween situations like twitchy singletrack or techy climbs.
    If the BB height were low ebough at 150mm, the 120mm setting could become rarely used

Not talas/2step but my 120-150mm RS U-turns I found I was in the middle all the time on a bike where the upper travel was at the upper height the frame would work with but now they’re on a bike where the 150mm is on the low-side for what the bike will take, I rarely drop below 150mm, only for ‘lay on the floor at the top for a bit’-steep type climbs do I drop to 120mm where the BB height becomes a problem on anything mildy rutted

jkomo

Great info, thanks.
    Now just waiting for on one to do a daily discount.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have it and use it – works fine for me but i dont have other Fox ones to compare plushness

I dont think you will use it as much as you think and I tend to not adjust it that much as the 456 is a good climber even at 140. I do drop it if it is super steep though

Every now and again its fun to go down at 100 mm as well.

vondally
    Free Member

For me constant user of Talas 160 to 130 to 100, been on several bikes
    ellsworth moment/maverick ml8/yeti asr 7 and even a turner dw flux at 130 to 100

i like them a lot for altering climbing ablity of a bike on roads, fireroad climbs and some tech climbs.

before use PAce lock down and maz eta, like the fact the the fork has some give in it.

firestarter
    Free Member

No talas have more to go wrong , don’t feel as nice by a long shot and you never hardly in reality use the travel
    Adjust option

wobbem
    Free Member

Depends on the bike. Works brilliantly on my Yelli 29er, 2 bikes in one.

br
    Free Member

I’ve found that when talas’d down that the geo. just is upset, far better to learn the technique to ride without. Not sure if this is easier on a HT rather than a FS though.

JCL
    Free Member

Crap suspension with travel adjust = Talas

Good suspension without travel adjust = Float.

Your choice…

banks
    Free Member

Talas 100/130/160 on a covert. Wouldn’t like to be without it, drop it to 130 for most climbs – just makes things easier.
    Been fine maintenance wise too with oil changes once every blue moon

banks
    Free Member

But I am saving to convert them to floats & just run them.super plush

somafunk

I have a 2013 Talas 140/110mm fitted to my Hummer and find myself using the option of the two travel settings all the time, for general riding and bumbling singletrack trails i find the 110mm setting perfect however if i want to throw the bike down big hills or over very rooty/rocky surfaces with a downhill slant, then i find myself knocking them back up to 140mm travel, all this can be done on the fly by flicking the lever on the left leg cap and it only takes a second to do so. I also have the remote for the C-T-D on my left handlebar (i run 1×10) and find myself using this all the time as well, it’s so easy to flick between climb/trail/descend mode that i find myself doing it subconsciously now so i guess it depends on what bike they’ll be fitted to and your riding style. Personally i think it’s rather sweet that i can control my travel and damping characteristics on the fly/when riding.

I’ve never rode wi a set of floats so i can’t compare like for like and my previous forks were an 8yr set of Fox FX80’s terralogics and Pace carbon rigid’s so perhaps you should tae my advice wi a pinch of salt and try them out on a demo bike first as it’s a lot of money to lay out.

boxelder

Non talas does feel better. I only ‘talas’ when going up/down steep stuff (Lakeland fells). Changes to frame geom mess up the familiarity with the bike then, so only use it if really needed.
    Save your money

nicksee
    Free Member

I’ve recently converted my 36’s on my orange five from talas to floats and wish i did it much sooner. Small hit compliance much better with a much smoother feel. I only ever dropped them for the steepest of climbs which wasn’t too often so figured i wouldnt miss the feature very much. When in the alps this summer,i was able to compare the talas side by side with a float and vanilla and the difference was night and day. This was expected against the van, but not so much the with the float.
    You can always get the travel adjust spacers and try different setting when you do an oil change.

Megatron

I had a set of TALAS 36.
    Back in April I had them converted to vanillas. The bike feels so much better, I’m far happier and faster riding the bike now.
    Save your money and go for the floats or a set of vans.

fontmoss
    Free Member

On a dif note I’d like a set of terralogic. That is all.

gaberin
    Free Member

I personally love my talas and use it all the time.. But it didn’t cost me anymore to get them over some floats as i bought them second hand, for a good price.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Floats much smoother, also didn’t use my Talas much when on my 5, didn’t miss it at all when I switched to Floats. I think Talas is a bit of a gimmick.

slowboydickie

I had 2012 floats and 2012 talas and there was little diff in plushness in my opinion. And I used the talas frequently but it also depends on what bike.

footflaps

I really like Talas forks on my HT and use them all the time, mainly switching between climbing and descending.

BrickMan

When tapas Cart needs to be bled its a bit of a pain to get right.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the bike is slack with 150 it can be useful I don’t use travel adjust as much now but I still use it. However you need to get the version with high and low speed compression to get the talas feeling right.

jamj1974

Non-talas do feel better but I do like travel adjust as a feature.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Got the older Talas RLC here. 150/130/110 and its been bob on. Youre right about the compression adjustment. Makes a massive difference.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘To Talas or not to Talas?’ is closed to new replies.