Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • To Squirt or not …. :)
  • iainc

Well the clocks have changed, I’ve just degreased the drivetrain after a manky ride. Do I stick with winter fave Prolink Progold Extreme or break out the summer Squirt ? 😆

West of Scotland mind !

johnnystorm

I’ve gone squirt already. Yeah it can still be wet but I’d rather reapply squirt to a wet chain than clean dust off a wet-lubed chain.

mugsys_m8

oh gosh yes. The clocks have changed…the wonders of mobile phones and computer clocks.I thought I stayed up later than I thought it was last night. Must be all the excitement of being stuck in a hotel room!

As for your lubrication issues. Yes lubricate. Maybe squirt, maybe not.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use it all year round! Two or three coats has dealt with the worst of this winter.

iainc

Well it’s just been Squirted 😀 monsoon coming now I guess !

mattrgee
    Free Member

I use squirt all year, just dry the chain and apply it the night before.

iainc

I have found in the wet slop that is typical of my natural trails it gets washed out in an hour or so, needing reapplied on a wet winters night ride. I do love it though when slightly dryer as so much cleaner than wet or even other dry lubes.

ononeorange

Urgent message: our roof comes off the house starting tomorrow so the weather for the foreseeable will be wild and wet in the extreme. As it has in fact been today. Back to the winter gear, everyone!

scotroutes

Tried it, hated it.
    Tried it again after much prompting and advice. Still hated it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

UBS has worked very well for us over the winter, and I see no reason not to carry on through the ‘summer’.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I tried it and also hated it, and after much searching i started using Rock N Roll “Blue”
    Last year i tried Purple Xtreme, which turned the chain into a black gunky dusty dirt grit magnet so i tried Squirt again and decided its still shoite,

A bit like having HOPE bearings in a BB for 10+ years then in November last year for some bizare reason i put a RF BB30 on and i’m now on my 3rd one, i know RF BB’s are shoite but i still did it.

Any way i’m back on Rock N Roll and have used it in conjunction with Putoline chain wax throughout winter.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I thought Squirting was illegal now?

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I Squirt all year round

iainc

Strange how its a love or hate thing. I definetly rate it, for mainly natural west of Scotland trail riding. Does need a properly clean and degreased drivetrain to make it stay on, and have used it successfully last 2 yrs, from April through September. Also have it on kids bikes, which means their drivetrains rarely need a clean.

Crap on road bike though and becomes a sticky black gunge, whereas on mtb the wee black lumps fall off so it stays slick.

thejesmonddingo

Tried it,prefer Mucoff C3 works better for me,doesn’t wash off as easy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve found it fine year round on both MTB and road bike. Needs a really clean, well degreased drivetrain to start with, then off-road, a fresh application at the end of each ride to set it up for the next.

On the road bike you need to be a lot more sparing with it – over apply and you end up with the gunky mess. Leave it until your drivetrain starts to get a bit noisy and it works fine.

The place it fails for me is on the daily commuter – it needs applying too often to be convenient. On the Brompton (which I use less often) it’s great – a much cleaner alternative to traditional oil for a bike you’re riding in normal clothes.

Northwind

Found it mostly great and occasionally dire, it just seemed to be allergic to some specific sorts of dirt. Ended up with putoline for everything, nothing comes close imo.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I tried it again…..and the bottles in the cupboard in the house…..ended up with rusted noisy chain after it washing off after about an hour on a three hour wet Cannock Chase ride……gone back to Muc Off C3 for now, at least I know it lasts an entire ride with no surface rusting!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My own in-depth review.

Squirt is shite.

butcher

I’ve been squirting all winter after the recommendations on here. At first I couldn’t see what the fuss is about. Just seemed like a fairly sub-standard lubricant. But after a full winter of use, an occasional squeak, and no more rust than I’d expect normally, I can say it keeps your drivetrain much cleaner than most. Just needs topping up a bit more regular.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘To Squirt or not …. :)’ is closed to new replies.