Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • To Split or Not to Split? – bike disposal content
  • Nobby

I can no longer justify keeping my ’09 Yeti AS-R sl. I’ve nicked a couple of bits off it for another bike but wondered whether it would be best to sell it as it is or strip it down & sell the components individually.

What’s the consensus?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

strip – more hassle but more cash as long as the bits are good nick and desirable. Especially as youve “nicked” some choice bits from it, chances are no one else wants your build and people after high end frames often already have nice kit.

See astroturfing thread about a curtis

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/why-is-no-one-showing-any-interest-in-my-bike

for peoples reticence in paying for the privilege of emptying parts bins.

Nobby

Thanks.

I’ve only nabbed the brakes, seat & seatpost. The rest is mostly XTR/Chris King/Thomson so I guess I’ll start dismantling it later.

clubber
    Free Member

Unless it’s a cheap bike (which clearly it isn’t) then split it. Your build will never be anyone else’s ideal build and consequently you’ll usually find it harder to sell and get less for it.

cookeaa

Having flogged both bikes and bits in the past I’d say on balance your better to split. Most people shopping for a whole bike will be looking for a local-ish look see and pickup rather the than see what comes through the post (plus you probably won’t fancy boxing up and posting the whole bike), and they might be put off by having to find the couple of parts you’ve already transferred to another bike.

On top of that we’re heading into winter, so now is the time potential buyers minds turn to assembling a bike over the colder months, if you were flogging it in spring/early summer then you perhaps have a better chance of getting a sale form someone keen to just get rolling ASAP…

Splitting generally means you’ve got a better “Hit rate” i.e. there’s more people looking for a pair of forks or a crankset and these are smaller, relatively cheaper and easier items to post.

It’s just a bit more time consuming in terms of popping all the parts up on classifieds, ebay or wherever you choose to flog them, and packaging up to post, but taking a bike apart is often pretty quick and can be strangely therapeutic (IMO)…

njee20
    Free Member

What you got now then!? Definitely need an Xmas Swinley ride.

Definitely strip. I’d keep things like the headset – it’ll go in something else at some point!

Nobby

I had thought so but it seemed almost sad to take it apart – then again, as has been said, it was my spec & not to everyone’s taste.

Nobby

What you got now then!? Definitely need an Xmas Swinley ride.

Definitely strip. I’d keep things like the headset – it’ll go in something else at some point!

Something similar 😉

Does anyone build anything with a straight 1 & 1/8 headtube these days? The only other frames I have that it’d go in are On-Ones, not so sure they warrant CK…

Oh, and Swinley should be a goer, not been sunce all the new stuff opened.

darkslider
    Free Member

Conversely you might find when selling a frame that it goes a bit easier if you’ve left all the attatched bits in. A good condition headset, seatpost and bottom bracket will save the new owner a lot of hassle in purchasing and fitting/taking parts to their LBS so it might attract a few more bidders.

I’m quite happy fitting those parts myself but just thinking back to a few years ago when I was less mechanically confident, jobs such as headset fitting and BBs that required special tools I found a bit daunting. Although I suppose you could argue anyone after an ASR should probably know what they’re doing.

njee20
    Free Member

Something similar

Do you now match Alex and Stan!?

Conversely you might find when selling a frame that it goes a bit easier if you’ve left all the attatched bits in. A good condition headset, seatpost and bottom bracket will save the new owner a lot of hassle in purchasing and fitting/taking parts to their LBS so it might attract a few more bidders.

I disagree with something like a King – it’ll probably sell for £50 or so, but folk won’t pay £50 more for a frame because it has a King headset. But yes, if it’s just got something cheap in there I agree.

Fair comment on the straight 1.125″ external headset though, a dying breed for sure!

Nobby

I wouldn’t say ‘match’.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Always been in the ‘split’ camp but since the last round of Post Office package rises I’m starting to think it’s getting close to not being viable. Things like handlebars can be really expensive to post now (yes, other carriers are available).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘To Split or Not to Split? – bike disposal content’ is closed to new replies.