Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • To singlespeed or not to singlespeed, that is the question
  • grunty
    Free Member

I have an old trek 4500 which Currently has 27 speed setup (but is in bits and unridable atm) and want to singlespeed it for the winter and muddy conditions as I was fed up trashing my spesh epic in the winter.

What do I need to convert it to a single speed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

A beard

Tom83

Superstar do a conversion kit, about £10 iirc. You may need a half link chain, or a half link for a normal chain. Or even a tensioner, again about a tenner.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grunty
    Free Member

A beard? Will I need sandals to go with that?

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok charlie the bike monger – go and look
    tensioner /doofer, rear cog with spacers, possibly a chain and possibly some new [short] crank bolts for your middle ring
    Circa £40 + dependent on spec the Superstar tensioner I had was poo I would avoid it personally broke after less than one years use
    EDIT: SPD sandals that’s the spirit you will fit right in

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Beard, Sandals (flipflops will do in a pinch), and a pint of ale in jug!
    I’ve had the latter 2 for ages & just added the beard for a bit of short term fun 🙂

HTH

_tom_
    Free Member

At the bare minimum you just need a spacer/cog kit from somewhere like velosolo. You can use your mech as a tensioner – I found the rear mech to be a much better tensioner than the dmr roller one, just doesn’t look as good.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Try it. What’s the harm?

grunty
    Free Member

gonna order the bits over the weekend.

Q2. What ratios should I be running? Looking to use it to train for hill climbing on the road bike

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Put your money Charlie Bikemonger’s way: http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/

Info here on how to singlespeed, including a handy table on gear ratios:
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/faqs-4-w.asp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘To singlespeed or not to singlespeed, that is the question’ is closed to new replies.