Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • To GoPro or not to GoPro?
  • sibbsy
    Free Member

Hi

Just wondered if any of you out there had first hand experience of the GoPro Silver – keen to get one for riding but read a lot of negative reviews on the likes of Amazon ie. freezing, technical faults. Or can anyone recommend anything similar?

Ta muchly

Nick

I would probably wait until a firmware upgrade sorts out the current problems, or buy the GoPro HD Hero 2.

hainman
    Free Member

I have the silver edition and have had no freezing issue…great camera with AMAZING footage….

chewkw
    Free Member

I rather prefer Sony AS10 or AS15 … not sure if it’s available in UK.

A good review here …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sfaiVy2dI[/video]

hammerite
    Free Member

chewkw – that guys reviews are excellent. There are some great alternatives to Go Pros out there, something to show Jnr who has started saving up for the Go Pro black at £350-ish.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Drift Ghost HD at £300 is a serious alternative to the GoPro now, great quality footage from what i’ve seen (i have a cheaper model) and has all the bells and whistles that the GoPro has – iphone compatibility etc.
    Also, you can buy a harness for the camera like the chesty, although the camera sits on your shoulder. I have one, and from test shots it gets pretty much the same angles as the chesty. Not used it in anger yet due to snow!

chewkw
    Free Member

Some more comparison here including Drift Ghost but it looks like Sony will win in terms of picture quality. Sony AS10 or AS15 for me … :mrgreen:

If I am not mistaken Sony AS10 is also the cheapest of them lot.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewp9kQoQ1Ng[/video]

d45yth
    Free Member

The GoPro is the only one I’d consider for biking due to it working best with a chest mount.
    I can see the ones with the rotating lenses being good when mounting in awkward places though.

chewkw
    Free Member

The only problem is I need an in-car mount without using the case … arrrghhh …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some more comparison here including Drift Ghost but it looks like Sony will win in terms of picture quality. Sony AS10 or AS15 for me …

Unless you are filming the next HD epic bike film the go pro and sony will be on par with each other (from the footage I have seen – all the ad stuff is processed to the max 🙂 )

For me the GoPro wins on versatility, I have just made a tripod mount for it and will be adding a home made hand held stabliser to the arsenal.

I use the HD 2, the only thing I want is the wifi backplate to do the lining up with the phone. Apart from that awesome camera.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Chewkw – the Drift has an optional in car mount if that helps?

TBH the stick-on mounts that come with the Drift worry me somewhat. Ive seen them used on vehicles at speed and they seem secure but I’m still not sure about sticking the camera on the swingarm for example.
    I’ve bought the Drift shoulder harness and I’m looking forward to trying it out when the weather clears up. From the test shots in my garden (not conclusive i know!) it does my much the same job, gets the top tube and bars in shot etc. I think the fisheye lens and the rotating lens bezel helps in that respect. I’ve only the 720p model though.
    From my short tests and walking round the house it feels secure and you don’t notice it on your shoulder.

chewkw
    Free Member

Well, I might just take the advice of the reviewer by buying another AS10 case in order to drill it out to turn it into car cam case. Sony can you hear me?!!!

The price for AS10 or AS15 is around US$199 abroad so might get it abroad rather than paying £259 for just a basic without all the mounting etc.

I am not getting Drift as it’s big while Hero is nice but rather industrial. Also I don’t like the software download etc hassle. Think if GoPro does not refine it further they will behind the rest in 5 years time.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They were pushing the sony hard down in Oz recently so probably about, came out a little cheaper than the GoPro but not much.

Which software were you having issues with the GoPro or the drift? only used the GoPro stuff a few times when my editing software wasn’t handling the file format, now it’s uninstalled.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Which software were you having issues with the GoPro or the drift? only used the GoPro stuff a few times when my editing software wasn’t handling the file format, now it’s uninstalled.

I was referring to the the reviewer’s comments about having to download the software etc, while Sony is more or less switch on and go …

Yes, I need to go through the file format again … think UK is PAL …

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Previous GoPro’s are just switch on (read instructions for the modes) and go. The software isn’t required but can be used. I’m guessing there is an app to download to get the phone connection thing going.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My drift was turn on and go, its not the ghost model though so don’t know how that goes. My version just plugs into the laptop and drops files like any other digital camera. Glad about that cos I’m appalling with tech stuff!

chewkw
    Free Member

I going for Sony (pic & price) AS10 or maybe AS15 but those product designers at Sony really need to think about ways of mounting the camera without the case. Talking about not thinking through their design properly … 😡

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t like the helmet mount of the gopro, but i really like the chest mount. It does seem that none of the manufacturers have got it all right yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough the mounting system doesn’t look that great….

Being very honest the GoPro system has this sorted which is what makes it work so well….

aracer
    Free Member

The price for AS10 or AS15 is around US$199 abroad so might get it abroad rather than paying £259 for just a basic without all the mounting etc.

Where’s that price from? I’m seeing the AS10 for £144 on ebay.

jam-bo

[video]http://vimeo.com/63009967[/video]

all filmed on the gopro3 white this morning.
    havent quite got the angle right on the chest mount and need a gorrillapod for some off camera shots.
    edited on imovie/ipad

mikewsmith
    Free Member

havent quite got the angle right on the chest mount

I was going to say that on the other thread, but you seemed to sort it halfway through. Are you using upside down on the long arm? If so it’s a bit further than you first think…

I use a combo of the plate from the box and whatever rocks/trees I can stick/balance/attach it to for static shots. Though today I’m off out to try a proper tripod (using the box base plate attatched to the tripod) Time for some shots not on the ground.

jam-bo

it was too cold to spend to much time faffing around with the preview on my phone.

not too bad for first run out even though I was riding like a tool. i got block passed by a labrador…

chewkw
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Where’s that price from? I’m seeing the AS10 for £144 on ebay. [/quote]

This UK website … overpriced IMO.

Sony AS10 – basic

aracer
    Free Member

To be fair, that’s an AS15

chewkw
    Free Member

aracer – Member

To be fair, that’s an AS15

D’Oh! Yes, that’s an AS15 Not AS10 … 😕

The difference is only in Wi-Fi connectivity …

Just found out the price on Ebaay is £144.99 without the helmet mount, while GoPro White on official site is £199 with Wi-Fi connectivity …

bigjim

I’ve got the Silver, it’s good, but the freezing and battery life are pretty annoying. Hopefully the freezing will get sorted. There is another problem where it stops recording randomly around 30 seconds after starting, which means you think you’ve filmed a great bit of powder or something when actually it stopped just as you got going. Taking the thing apart to remove and reinsert the battery isn’t really an ideal option up a mountain in snow, or anywhere really. Sort it out Go Pro!

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, well I think I’m leaning towards either the 7DS or the Decathlon option. Probably not quite as good as a GoPro, but a lot, lot cheaper.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘To GoPro or not to GoPro?’ is closed to new replies.