Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • To flutter on the National or not?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

On one hand I’d like a flutter on the National today to be involved in the excitement, the spectacle, the drama but on the other hand, I do feel its a very cruel race indeed motivated by greed and glory from horse owners and jockeys pushing horses too hard over a very long course with some difficult jumps and so would also not like to fuel it more.

How do you feel about the National?

tomhoward

Indifferent. This may change if I win the office sweepstake.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Depends if you want to endorse killing horses for human entertainment…

konabunny
    Free Member

…as opposed to eating them.

jam-bo

I’d back a horse called findus

tomhoward

Depends if you want to endorse killing horses for human entertainment…

It isn’t really thought, is it. In the same way that motorsport or boxing isn’t endorsing the killing of humans for other humans entertainment. How many trainers/jockeys would be better off with a dead horse?

Klunk
    Free Member

In the same way that motorsport or boxing isn’t endorsing the killing of humans for other humans entertainment.

not bothered about them racing or not but that’s a terrible argument the horse doesn’t have the choice to race or not.

tomhoward

True, and I was thinking that as I wrote my post, but while the horse doesn’t choose if it enters the race, can it choose not to leave the start line? As is evident here I’m no expert on ‘oss psychology, but if the horse really didn’t want to run, it wouldn’t?

paddy0091
    Free Member

Lost £££ last time, never again.

RealMan
    Free Member

_tom_
    Free Member

Couldn’t care less about the ethics/morals of it all, horse and dog racing pays my salary. Put a few small each ways on because why not?

emma
    Free Member

IMHO The saddest thing about a horse is that its back is perfectly evolved to fit a human…

RustySpanner

emma – Member

IMHO The saddest thing about a horse is that its back is perfectly evolved to fit a human…

Not the long face then?

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Placed a bet, won nowt, did win the office sweepstake though….. That’s my gambling over for a year.

The National always brings up the question “is it animal cruelty” and what not, but no one seems to give muchof a shit at any other time of the year. Football’s full of drunk drivers and rapists but not ones trying to ban that

daveh
    Free Member

Not the long face then?

😆

My horses won and came third, picked by colour, 0.50p bet. Would a tenner have killed me 🙂 ?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not a single death this year. Horses love the running IMO, Harvey smith and his wife sue hardly strike me as animal abusers. Used to see a girl in my younger days who was in the horsey set and I can thoroughly vouch for the fact that if the horse don’t want to play, it doesn’t play!

imnotamused
    Free Member

My bro had a fiver on the winner at 66-1 jammy get 😯

eskay

Me to. I had 50p e/w on it at 100/1, won £53. That is my betting done for the year.

boxelder

At least two horses died at the meeting, just not in the national.
    My boss was amazed I’d spent 2000+ on a ‘ push iron’, but bets up to 800 quid on nag races regularly.

DT78
    Free Member

Was at lingfield yesterday, saw a chap picking up £140 in winnings and the put it on the winner of the national to place. Last saw him sat down shaking phoning all his mates….

I won bugger all 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

As is evident here I’m no expert on ‘oss psychology, but if the horse really didn’t want to run, it wouldn’t?

Not a very informed decision, is it?

chvck
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22045330

Little Josh became the second horse to die at the 2013 Aintree Grand National meeting after falling on Friday.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Dont bet on the horses as rule, but fancied a flutter yesterday, £2.50 each way on the winner !!!! Wow £211.00 to come back !! More goodies for the bike!!!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Didn’t bet. Glad no horses died in the National race ( although some died at the event on previous races) but watched it, heart in mouth hoping they’d all live to tell the tale at least.

It’s still a brutal race mind, long.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I’ll have a flutter the year the jockeys carry the horses round. 😀

tiggs121
    Free Member

Winning jockey is from my area and used to play footie for my amateur team.

He’s a better rider than a midfielder! An ex Gala Braw Lad too!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘To flutter on the National or not?’ is closed to new replies.