Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • To everyone in the UK….
  • zokes
    Free Member

The time here is 18:15, and I'm off to the pub. Enjoy your day at work skiving on STW…

Cheers! :mrgreen:

wors

You buying your own beer then?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

maybe a bit off topic zokes, but how's Adelaide? Hoping to move to Oz in a year or two, and thinking about Adelaide rather than Sydney, Melbourne, etc.

Karinofnine

Enjoy your evening. I'm not at work today – day off to get woman and bike ready for Big Dog tomorrow.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think I see a dingo stealing the OP's baby.

slimtubing
    Free Member

I'm just finishing Pad Thai and a glass or 2 of Montana Sav Blanc,settling down to watch Father Ted reruns.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*makes note to post up about Monday morning*

GrahamS

bm: I can partially answer that while zokes is in the pub.

I lived in Adelaide for a year with my now wife, then girlfriend.

Good Things:
    – generally nice friendly folk with a pretty relaxed attitude to life
    – easy 10k bike or tram ride from the centre out to Henley Beach or Glenelg. Very nice way to spend an evening.
    – loads of major wine regions on your doorstep (McLaren Vale, Barossa Valley, Adelaide Hills, Riverland, Coonawara). Very nice way to spend a weekend!

Not so good:
    – its a pretty small town compared to Sydney or Melbourne
    – didn't seem to be a great deal of culture (i.e. theatre, shows, galleries etc)
    – surf was pretty flat (though like the culture it may just be that we didn't know where to look)

rOcKeTdOg

makes note to post up about Monday morning*

+1 (and the following 5 days 😉 )

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Cheers for that Graham – I've seen quite a bit of negative stuff on the net about Adelaide, but it seems to be mainly from trustafarians comparing it to Sydney or Melbourne.

GrahamS

Oh and when we were there the "Tour Down Under" came through town and they happily just shut down major roads and everyone came out to cheer.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

slimtubing – Member

I'm just finishing Pad Thai and a glass or 2 of Montana Sav Blanc

zokes
    Free Member

*makes note to post up about Monday morning*

Ah, but thanks to the time difference, you'll be off to sleep when I get up, so it won't worry me really 🙂

@barnsleymitch:

I really like it. Bikes not made it here yet, but there seems to be quite a big scene here. Another guy off here called Jon Lang (can't remember his alias) is based here too and seems to know what's going on with cycling. It's not England, but then you know that…

Not been to Sydney or Melbourne yet. Obviously they're bigger, with more going on, but having come from a rural area, Adelaide seems a good step to a big city. Technically about 1m people live here, but no idea where they all are! It's on the sea, next to some hills (highest of which is 2800 ft), and there are some great areas within 2 hours or so. A 50 min flight gets you to Melbourne, and 2 hours to Sydney, so big city breaks easy to come by.

On the whole, Aus seems more expensive than the UK by 20-30%, so factor that into the sums when you work out your salary and exchange rate. That said, we're in a huge house for considerably less than a shoe box would be this close to Manchester city centre…

GrahamS

No probs bm. It was a while ago now (2002-2003) but remains a happy memory 🙂

MrsGrahamS was working out there fulltime in the hospital and I got roped in to single-handedly develop a bespoke website for them – so no trustafarian bias here. But it was sort of a year out.

We went on to tour Oz in a van for three months, plus 3 weeks in New Zealand and some more time in Malaysia and Borneo. Happy days.

zokes
    Free Member

Anyway, best actually go to the pub now…

GrahamS

zokes: whereabouts are you living? We were on Kingston Terrace in North Adelaide, overlooking the park.

jamesca
    Free Member

slimtubing that sounds like my evening, also wishing it would stop raining so much on the weekend

zokes
    Free Member

Glenside behind the Burnside shopping centre. We're not short of fresh food! Yum 🙂

GrahamS

Ooh some decent houses round there. Nice.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘To everyone in the UK….’ is closed to new replies.