• This topic has 27 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • To bling or not to bling?
  • Hareydan
    Free Member

So I recently purchased a new steel hardtail frame to build up. The frame itself is quite a light grey, and pretty much everything I’m going to hang off it is black, or blackish, at least. I’ll need a new headset, bottom bracket and seatpost clamp which will probably all be hope. Question is, do I go for black, or add a splash of colour?? I’m thinking gold, but not sure this’ll go with the lightness of the frame. Anyone out there got a light grey bike with a couple of bits of colour? Does it look rubbish?? Views both positive and negative are welcome, flame away thanks in advance!

dannybgoode

Mmm, shiny…

Cheers

Danny B

mrblobby
    Free Member

If in life you generally have an eye for style and good taste then do it (i.e. you know what you are doing). If not then go black or it’ll end up a dogs dinner.

Edit: as you are asking on here then it’s probably the latter 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

If in life you generally have an eye for style and good taste then do it (i.e. you know what you are doing). If not then go black or it’ll end up a dogs dinner.
    Edit: as you are asking on here then it’s probably the latter

This is extremely good advice

takisawa2

All black.

Hareydan
    Free Member

Right, given that I’m not known for my style and eye for daring new, yet amazing, colour combinations, I held the frame up next to my computer screen to see how it looked with components of each colour. Suffice to say, I’m going with black. Thanks for the tips!

andybloomer
    Free Member

Grey and red works

Hareydan
    Free Member

Hmm, red did look good in the “hold the frame against the screen” test…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go for Hope Team Green personally. It always looks sick

Rosss
    Free Member

If its the right grey blue could look good

huws
    Free Member

I’m thinking gold

Dear god no!

Nothing good has ever come from throwing slightly different coloured anodised bits at a bike.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Red and grey works

andybloomer
    Free Member

Nah…grey and red’s better

svalgis
    Free Member

Nothing good has ever come from throwing slightly different coloured anodised bits at a bike.

Hope components tend to match each other quite well though.

I say blue or green.

waller
    Free Member

I’ve got a grey Surly Cross check with green headset and stuff. Looks awesome. I had a blue chameleon with gold hubs, headset and bit and it looked good. Transferred the gold stuff to my custard coloured soul. Will leave that one to your imagination.

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve gone green on nipples, brakes (hope) and seatclamp only in mt Ti fireline Evo… Mutts nuts….

tmb467
    Free Member

White retro GT tequesta (s/s) with black bits so far

May add some blue and gold as I upgrade (to go with the zaskar-like blue/gold GT decal) but not for a while yet.

huws
    Free Member

Nothing good has ever come from throwing coloured anodised bits at a bike.

FTFM

funkmasterp

I’ve just bought all the parts to build my Bfe and think I may have gone a tad crazy on the old colour co-ordination. Pretty much everything is white and green with a splash of black. It’ll either look awesome or hideous.

amedias
    Free Member

I’d go for Hope Team Green personally. It always looks like sick

worst colour ever, nice dark green, yes, manky yellowy light green, no!

cynic-al
    Free Member

anodised accent-components always make a bike look awesome – since the 90s at least.

do it.

jezandu
    Free Member

Grey frames are often hard to jazz up but I’d avoid anodised colours, it can be more tacky than bling. If you want some colour maybe add it with grips or saddle.

Esme
    Free Member

Do NOT get a red saddle 😉

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I went for a red theme once, when I had a red frame, then I got a new frame and it looked stupid. Be careful, stick with black.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Just do what you feel it might turn out alright some may hate it but who cares….it’s a bike it’ll still ride the same.

Scapegoat

My lad built his up with a couple of subtle gold bits, seat collar, grip collars, QR and blackspire looks OK.

Haze

Black, just do the skewers.

Euro
    Free Member

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘To bling or not to bling?’ is closed to new replies.