Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • TNF Thermoball or Rab Microlight Jacket?
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Looking for a new lightweight jacket and interested what the STW masses think between the two above!

theotherjonv

Can’t fault my Rab vest equivalent.

TNF while technically very good are a bit – you know – everyone’s got one. including a load of folks that think the pub garden counts as the great outdoors.

I’d also add in the Montane equivalent – especially as it’s named after a gentleman’s prophylactic.

footflaps

TNF while technically very good are a bit – you know – everyone’s got one

I see more Rab tops these days, they seem to be very popular now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

See as much rab as i do tnf just like him up there….,

Im thermoball curious but at 130 quid im not that curious

I ended up with a 35 quid 650 fill ethically sourced ultra light down jacket from tkmaxx.

Might not last as long but when i get it mank and wet outside the pub beer garden im not bothered .

Easily as warm as my tnf primaloft jacket but half the size and weight when packed up. – thin material though compared to the robustness pf the primaloft filled jacket

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve recently got rid of my thermoball and gone for Rab.

Overall a much nicer cut and fit for me. Both are similar in terms of weight and warmth.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Thermoball owner here, I love mine, worn it as an insulation layer skiing, over the top insulation layer on cold hill days and a general casual jacket.

I rate it better than down, seems to warm up quicker and of course no issues if it does get damp, the hybrid one is pretty good too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You do realise they are completely different materials dont you?, ones a down jacket, others synthetic. If the real question is down or synthetic, then personally I’d go with synthetic, if only because you can just stick it in the wash with everything else. Down requires a lot more fuss when cleaning. You could buy black which won’t show dirt as much, but a lighter colour down jacket is a pita. We also live in a predominantly damp climate, so down just doesn’t cut it. And i always feel i have to be a bit more carefull with down stuff (yes I’ve had feathers everywhere).

jimdubleyou

Get the one that zips into your shell jacket easily?

I’ve got a Berghaus hydrodown sleeveless which is pretty good.

You can also get Hydroloft which is synthetic.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Also, I’ve always bought insulated jackets with a hood. You lose a lot of heat thru your head, an insulated hood makes a big difference.

BadlyWiredDog

You do realise they are completely different materials dont you?, ones a down jacket, others synthetic. If the real question is down or synthetic, then personally I’d go with synthetic

To be fair Rab uses hydrophobic down so it tolerates a bit of damp better than you might think. I’d still choose synthetic fill for predictably wet use, but decent water resistant down turns out to be surprisingly good ime.

Also, for lightweight down, have a look at the revised Alpkit Filoment jacket – bigger baffles than the Rab so warmer because of the reduced stitchlines/seams which tend to lose heat and a good price.

BillOddie

I have Patagonia Down Jacket with a hood and Alpkit Synthetic jacket.

Both are ace. If were to replace both with one jacket it would be a Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket.

johnners
    Free Member

Apart from the down/synthetic thing (I’d opt for synthetic unless you’ll only wear it below zero) I think they’re much the same as far as quality goes so it’s whichever fits you. The cut can be very different, TNF medium fits my body but the sleeves are too short, Rab large fits my body and the sleeves are a good length* for me.

*Except one of my Vapour-Rise jackets, where they’re way too long but that was off eBay.

dmorts

I’ve got a TNF Thermoball hoodie. It’s great, warm and packable.
    A month or two ago you could get them for around 110 if you hunted about (in fact I know someone who found one in TK Maxx for 90, but that was probably a one off)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as already mentioned depends what you want and what you want it for!

I have one of each but I much prefer my Rab for warmth and comfort.

footflaps

I’ve sold off all my down jackets and just use Synthetic now. Being able to bung it in the wash is a real bonus…

somouk
    Free Member
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m currently tempted by a Nano Air Hoodie, not sure whether it will be as warm as
    the OP wants and haven’t tried one yet, but sounds good http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Insulated-Jacket-Reviews/Patagonia-Nano-Air-Hoody

everything you know about layering is wrong

dovebiker

I’m a big fan of Polartech Alpha synthetic insulation – it was developed for US special forces, is incredibly light and compact and is still warm when sopping wet. I did a 38.5hr bike race in the arctic and it was all I needed with a merino baselayer and windshell. TNF is a triumph of marketing over quality IMO.

geoffj

Thermoball jacket and microlight gilet here. Different propositions, but for the relatively mild damp conditions we get in the UK, it’s hard to better the synthetic fill of the thermoball IMHO. Currently using for a weeks skiing in the Italian alps with just a t-shirt underneath. I used to be quite sniffy about TNF gear, but I think it’s come on significantly in the past couple of years.

footflaps

used to be quite sniffy about TNF gear, but I think it’s come on significantly in the past couple of years.

They make the whole gammet, from townie fleeces to top end outdoor kit.

Currently liking Arcteryx Atom tops, spent a week walking in their mid weight one in the Lakes before Easter and it was fine down to about 2C with mild rain. They do a warmer AR version as well.

Stainypants

i have a thermoball hooded jacket and its one of the worse bits of kit i own. Hate it, prefer my 40 quid micro down jacket from Costco.

Nick

Spud

I’ve a whole load of different insulated jackets including the Alpkit Filoment and the Microlight, which I picked up from the Ellis Brigham sale store in Capel last week. Much prefer the Rab, the fit is much better and the feel a little nicer, no noticeable difference in quality.

jabbi
    Free Member

Neither are made by Fox, you feeling alright Ed?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a Patagonia Nano Puff with a hood.

Managed to pick it up half price in the winter sales.

It’s become my number 1 jacket. Warm doing all winter and not too hot even on the milder days we are still having 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m really pleased with my TNF Thermoball hoody (and the special price I paid for it) the only thing I would fault is the way TNF put the zips the wrong way.

CountZero

Certainly not in the cheap and cheerful price bracket, but I’ve got one of these:
    http://www.jottnar.com/uk/mens/down-insulation/fenrir/
    and having worn it when the weather really took a turn for the worst, meaning being out in fairly heavy rain for an hour or so, the only wet penetration was a tiny bit around the stitching at the back of the hood, it was dry and toasty inside, and I was only wearing their yak wool base layer underneath.
    Terrific jacket, company is based in Cardiff.

plus-one

Thermoball here had it 8 months and it’s my go to jacket for dog walking- biking to shops- even casual with jeans if out and about with missus if cold 🙂

footflaps

everything you know about layering is wrong

Wow, he’s a bit slow on the uptake. Soft shells have been around for decades e.g. Buffalo jackets must be 30 years old etc.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘TNF Thermoball or Rab Microlight Jacket?’ is closed to new replies.