Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • TJs ambient jeycore lite ride or " Can you tell its not mountainbiking?"
  • stanfree
    Free Member

TJ how was Butterdean ?, Pretty gloopy I’d expect. Also did you take the trail from Fauside to Wallyford as It’s always interesting. Here’s a pic from Tuesday with my riding bud Charlie.

BigJohn

That’s definitely Multi-Terrain Biking (or MTB-ing, as it is also known).

Looks a lovely way to spend a lovely day.

Woody
    Free Member

Not that it matters but that looks like a very pleasant offroad route.

Shows you don’t need to have ‘lung-busting uphills and gnarly brake-cooking DH sessioning’ (sorry, I was reading an old MBUK this morning) to enjoy a bike 😉

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Looks like a nice route TJ. I’ve been down the John Muir way a few times but mostly an out and back so will have to give this loop a try. Work in a couple of pub stops and jobs a good-un!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stanfree – butterdean was pretty gloopy. I didn’t do the walyford descent this time but I have in the past.

bullheart
    Free Member

I like the look of that route!

bananaworld
    Free Member

Hmmm, should I move to Edinburgh…?

molgrips
    Free Member

Butterdean woods

Looks a tad springy.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Looks very nice. I’ve not really done any riding down in that area but must get round to it. I wouldn’t personally ride it on my roadbike with 23mm slicks, but I would on my Roadrat which also has slicks but 25 or 28mm (can’t recall which).

It’s the same situation with routes like the canal paths – I know I could ride it on 23mm slicks (and have done in the past) but don’t particularily want to!

rickmeister

TJ, thanks for the route, I think we will be doing it on Sat/Sun. We know the area but you have put some stuff in that we hav’nt done….. and we can get a pint at the Goth….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a very pleasant route for sure but of the 40 miles there is a mile thru the woods that is rather gloopy where without a bit of nobble on your tyres you would struggle for grip and another mile that is a rough downhill where a bit of suspension or even float from tyres allows you to go a bit raster without rattling you teeth out. Overall quite ridable on any bike but more comfy on an mtb.

Its nice to some riding sometimes where you don’t have to concentrate all the time, where here is plenty of time to look at the scenery with no cars around.

Its only just mountainbiking if it is at all but I did get the wheels in the air a little and did get a bit muddy.

At the end of the day its all mucking about on bikes. Its all good.

rickmeister – want a bit more detail on the route or a memory map file email me.

GW
    Free Member

Butterdean was sweet lastnight! funnily enough it was absolutely fine with my usual bald DHF on the rear, there’s no climbing at all in there so although there are gloopy/sticky bits you really don’t need knobbly tyres to keep up momentum.

TBH I wouldn’t do a route like TJs on a mountainbike. from his GPS map it looks like he somehow managed to completely miss out heaps of fun urban, off-road, jumps and even DH bits. as Druidh said it could easily be done on a roadbike (I also use 25mm tyres 😉 )

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

This thread confuses me.

It’s all too nice.

😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s OK, I’m back 😡

GW would 23s handle you?

Garry_Lager

Nice one TJ. Do you have an equivalent one for West Lothian?

Did a sort of obvious rectangle Balerno – Kirknewton then off-road to Broxburn and back in on the canal the other week. Had potential, but too much road going out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do garry. Edinburgh / currie / ratho / newbridge/ kirkliston / queensferry / return to edinburgh along the shore

Zedsdead
    Free Member

TJ – I am still in India at the moment but will be calling you very soon…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I work out Ratho way once a fortnight and keep meaning to explore. One day.

druidh
    Free Member

Garry – YGM

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

GW / anyone else

there is some overgrown but quite substantial and well-built looking shore in the woods near Boggs farm. Needs undergrowth clearing but might be on interest for those strange folk who like that sort of thing

GW
    Free Member

I’m not massively fussed by drops to flat and that but we rode it on our Thursday nightride. it doesn’t need anything clearing…But if it did, it’s a private wood (I have met/ridden there with the owner) so it wouldn’t be up to me. personally I also wouldn’t go around publicising other peoples trails. it’s a far worse crime than riding “off the path” in the middle of nowhere if you ask me 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t think we are talking about the same bit GW but point taken. 😳 The stuff I saw was all overgrown and appeared not to be in use otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned it.

Sorry

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

As to whether it was mountain biking or not I always thought the French had it right by maintaining “VTT” as a title for the bike. Much more descriptive of what people probably wanted in the original days (and what many want now).

I do use the term mountain bike but refuse to use the abbreviation MTB as, to me, “mountain” has always been one word.

Isn’t it wonderful being an old fart?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘TJs ambient jeycore lite ride or " Can you tell its not mountainbiking?"’ is closed to new replies.