Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • TJ take to me about your tandem
  • mt
    Free Member

Just read your comments regarding your tandem taking a belt. Just wondered what you rode and what fork you used. We have a yr 2000ish Cannondale MT2000. Moto fork has died and now no part available from Cannondale just considering what to fit.

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

We have a ‘dale MT 800. We have a ‘zochhi Z1 lite on it – it went back to windwave to have a reinforced steel steerer fitted ( £40)instead of the alloy one it comes with I bought it second hand. Its a coil / air fork so can be adjusted but I found that with enough air to get the right ride height it did not get full travel and with low air to get full travel it rode too low – so put a preload collar of 15 mm on the coil spring so it rides higher on a lower air pressure and dropped the oil level a bit to reduce ramp up. Its now about spot on – 40 psi for flatland riding and 55 for more gnarly stuff.

It does lift the front of the bike ridiculously high tho – front BB is almost 17″ unladen.

We have also run it with a DJ1 fork on it ( a couple of inches shorter) – with the stiffest springs available and air capos of a different DJ model to get the right spring rate.

20 mm axle a must and ‘zochhi are one of the few companies who don’t mind their forks being used on tandems

markd
    Free Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOO NEVER ASK ABOUT THE TANDEM!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You know you want a shot on it

markd
    Free Member

i want to shoot you on it more like.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ha – but I have a rear gunner and you would have to take your hands off the bars – epic fail

Stoner
    Free Member

Ha – but I have a rear gunner

I thought you were married TJ?

mt
    Free Member

Thanks for the info on the Z1’s. It’s the BB height thing that we are a bit stuffed with. The old MOTO for was not a fantastic fork but good enough (by todays standards) for us and as I’m sure you’ll know, if you pedal at it hard enough you can get over most stuff. Have got a Lyrik to try due to the steel bits but can’t say I’m not nervous due to the size of the forks compared to the old Moto’s. Whats the steering like with a long fork.

Markd – Tandems are brilliant, get one and go for it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner, you beat me to it! Git.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It doesn’t seem to affect the steering much – I guess its only a couple of inches higher after sag and because of the long wheelbase it doesn’t change the angles much.

I don’t think lyrics are tandem rated – but that don’t mean they are not strong enough

Pieface

I have gunner-rear

mt
    Free Member

We saw said forks on 2007 cannondale but search for info with Rocshox was fruitless so have taken the plunge (ha).
    Also we are considering a multi day Scotish trip with off road mixed terrain type stuff so we can get a bit of distance. Have you got any “must do” areas or trips? Mini epics welcome but not desperate “will carrying this beast never end” type stuff. Again thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MT – we did a 160 mile loop mainly on doubletrack – just a 4 mile walk and mainly offroad. Very much a reccomended tandem route – we were fully panniered up with camping gear
    Clicky to make biggy

mt
    Free Member

That looks really good and just what we are looking for. Is that a memory map file? Can you send it to me please.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye its memory map – I’ll send you the file if you give me your e mail.

We bailed out from kinlochleven to pitlochry – we had planned to continue back to Callander over 3 more passes which I’ll add to the MM file.

aP
    Free Member

When we fitted Z1FR2 forks to ours we initially had it set up with totally ridiculous air pressures and it would only compress about 40mm. It was very wandery when climbing, but now we’ve got 15psi in it its great (rather than 50!)

mt
    Free Member

hello TJ please send file to: itatfanmanufacturersdotcom
    thanks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MT YGM

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘TJ take to me about your tandem’ is closed to new replies.