Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 976 total)
  • Titus Fireline Ti 29 Evo..
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Sorry, but I still think my quarterhorse looks better and has far more tyre clearance

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

The QH costs more and is quite a bit porkier; you pays your money and take your choice.

Andy

Good looking builds – they look just right.

Swayndo
    Free Member

First ride impressions are that the bike is an absolute hoot to ride and is more capable than I’ll ever be. I absolutely do need easier gears tho. It climbs fine but I ran out at 32:36 and had to push.

Gonna investigate my options further but tbh the front HD was buzzing the Reba so I reckon it makes most sense to ditch the tyres and get something less voluminous.

Looking forward to hearing what definitely works with a front mech, but would also appreciate recommendations for a slightly smaller but equally durable front which can handle a variety of conditions.

I have a Mud X and ACX in the garage but it’s pointless sticking them on unless I stick to fireroads 🙄

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Was out in the garage fiddling and decided to see if the 2 * 10 setup I had fits, the answer is no problem. No clearance issues in large or small rings.

Spesh Purgatory 2.3 (57mm wide) on Stans Arch EX rim. For reference an HD is 3mm wider and 2mm taller on the same rim.

SLX 2 * 10 38/26 tooth chainset with modified (see above) XT M786 derailleur.

[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8310259361_9e9be7f094_b.jpg[/img]

Swayndo
    Free Member

That’s dead helpful bigdugsbaws. I’m seeing a 2.2 Purgatory online, so may just get one of those. I’m using Flows, so that will make a difference but hopefully that will be to width not height.

It would be a shame if I had to compromise the rubber on this bike to much. It feels like it should be ridden with big sturdy treads 😉 Any suggestions for a front?

Never felt slack when climbing or turning, but pointed down it was like a juggernaut. I’ve probably never descended the scree filled Peat Track from Fyrish as quickly. I couldn’t have done that with puny tyres on. Bedmaker had 2 punctures on the same with Maxxis Beavers on his full susser.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Swayndo, I have Flows too and the tyres come up the same size as the Arch EX due to the much lower sidewall. I’m using a Hans Damph up front but will be swapping back to a Purgatory. Nobby Nic snakeskin 2.35s are great too.

Linky to cheap Purgatory

Swayndo
    Free Member

Cheers again. Any idea if the stays exactly the same length on the 18 and 20?

I’ll have a think and scour web resources to see the other options. Smorgasbords are dead cheap, but they seem quite tall for the size. Ardents are that way too. Purgatorys look the best option ATM.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Stays are same on all sizes I believe.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Finished today! 20″
    Need a longer stem + 20mm
    Points to note-

Post mount was slightly short hole to hole, had to use a mount and drill out the mount holes, to get the bolts in. Anyone else had the same issue?

If the rear mech cable stop had been mounted to the side it would enable bigger tyre use, in the clag the cable will be shaving mud.

Only using 2.2 Ralphs

Swayndo
    Free Member

Looking good Big Pete. No issues with the post mount on my 18″.

That’s still really close with relatively skinny tyres with little tread.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Switched the rear tyre today to a Mud X and changed to 2×10. Plenty room with the cyclocross tyre in 😉 and I was able to climb the hill behind the village. Tightened the front Hope hoop and the tyre no longer buzzes the fork.

Thinking of getting an X9 2 ring crank which will give me the option of a Bling Ring (cheers Gordymac) in as low as 28t if I want to go 1×10 with big rubber in the mountains next year.

Things looking up.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Hi all I really like the look of these any good deals on forks?
    I would like something with a axle.

Can you fit something small up front if I wanted to make us of a 1 x 9 set up I have ?

What is the right gear up front if you use a 34 at the rear, to match a 26inch wheel with a 36 cassette

IA

A 29er is about 2t harder (roughly!) so on a 32 front ring for the 26 you’d need a 28 front which ain’t happening easily…

I run 1×9 12-34 block with a 32 front on my 29er and it”s fine…all depends on fitness tho, i feel it if I’m off the bike much!

larrythelathe
    Free Member

So I don’t think you can get 28 teeth.
    So I could run a double but would have issues with the mec, its also very muddy where I do most of my riding.

Or go ten speed

chuffnuts

Finished mine today, took it for a quick ride too.

Feels like I’ve just got a big boys bike after outgrowing my 26er! Not sure if that’s a good thing or not at this stage? It certainly feels fun if a little slow steering. I need to drop the front a bit, so flat bars will be a must.

I will put gears on, but it’s just not worth it right now as it’s more about bog snorkeling then MTBing.

I also had trouble with the rear post mount for the caliper, it seems to be about 1-0.5mm too long, I didn’t need to drill anything but the bolts were a bit tight. Also the seat tube is a bit slack, I’ve got three 31.6 seatposts and all had a bit of play round them. I’ve had to really tighten the seatpost clamp to stop slipping.

And some more pics of the tyre clearance with a 2.3.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Looks nice chuffnuts.

Same issue here’s with the seatpost. No friction, just slides straight down when the clamp bolt is undone.

I’m using an X4 50mm which has zero rise with a 20mm rise Nukeproof Warhead 760 bar. Suits the bike very well and no problems climbing. I’m 6′ on an 18″.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A direct from China jobby….

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Nice builds guys!

Racing Ralph 2.25 aint no skinny tyre and there is only about 4mm between that and the massive 2.4 version.

If you have feeble hams 😉 and feel the need to drop to a 28T front ring these guys do really nice custom aluminium and titanium spiderless numbers for SRAM chainsets:

Home Brewed Components

Swayndo
    Free Member

If you have feeble hams

Or ride mountains 😉

bedmaker

Home brewed one would be nice if he would actually send them out…

the_lecht_rocks

Tyre clearance looks very problematic, especially with snow or mud build up……….???

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Tyre clearance looks very problematic, especially with snow or mud build up……….???

🙄

Candodavid
    Free Member

Dan at Homebrewed had a breakdown of the personal type, really very ill by all accounts, he’s up and running again, but only selling what he has in stock and doing smaller runs of evrything else

bedmaker

I’d take that with a pinch of salt. The guy is a chancer of the highest order!

heihei

Bling ring is the way to go. Just fitted a 28T to my XO cranks on my Camber 29er.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Bigdugsbaws … any reason to buy the 2.3 over the 2.2 Purgatory? I hear they’re actually the same size. EBC are doing the outgoing model for £20. I’d be interested to hear if you noticed any difference between the two.

I’m going to go Purgatory on the front for just now with Mud X rear. Hope to take this over the 5 Spot to Morocco in April so will get something better on the rear before then. Looking at 2.25 Snakeskin Ralphs, a Ground Control or maybe Purgatory. Still probably keep the Trailstar HD, but the Pacestar is surplus.

Also got an X7 chainset through from CRC which is Bling Ring compatible, but not convinced I’ll get a single ring that suits my needs so may send it back. I also see people using XX1 Chainsets in 1×10, so maybe that’s a better option if I do go single ring.

inbred853

ChunkyMTB, nice looking bike, how did you go about ordering/speccing your direct from China jobby?

Northwind

Was ogling Bigdug’s Titus today. No matter what he says I was definitely ogling the Titus. It’s absolutely lovely- no mess, no fuss. Jealous 🙁

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Swayndo, they are same size but newer version rolls better (all
    egedly)

Cheers Andy and apologies, i was in cheeky barsteward mode this morming….too many mince pies and sherry 😳

FWIW thats around 12 hours riding now and it never fails to please, it excelled on the tight twisty tech at Inners today.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Right have ordered a 2.3 Purgatory, which will be my winter front tyre. May drop it back onto the rear in the spring. Cheers again.

Anyone need a Pacestar HD?

inbred853

ChunkyMTB – apologies found it: Chinese Jobby

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Aaaaggh just discovered that it isn’t ISCG05 as stated on the website. Ripped the packaging on my chain guide too 👿

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Swayndo
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t spend £200 on a bling ring and Micro G2 now 🙄

Just been out on some pretty step and very muddy singletrack and mine was ace. Think I’m feeling a slight click from the seat post inside the seat tube. Could just be paranoid tho.

This is so near to perfect, but the small issues are just taking a little of the edge off the experience.

Clink

small issues

Seem to be quite a few ‘issues’? How can a trail/am 29er hardtail not fit a range of common 2.35 rear tyres?!? 😯

Andy

Hmmm Chunkymtbs direct from China jobby has a nice kink in the seat tube which seems to give a bit more clearance

Swayndo
    Free Member

To be fair a HD on a Flow is pretty huge. An extra half inch on the stays might have done it but how would that have affected handling? I don’t know but I know the bike handles beautifully as it is.

Having a straight seat tube gives long post dropability, but in this time of droppers it’s maybe less necessary.

It’s great but flawed. Many first editions are. Love/Hates without front mech cable stops, Inbred 29ers without seat tube rack mounts … it happens. Maybe a mk2 will be in the pipeline before long.

Clink

To be fair a HD on a Flow is pretty huge. An extra half inch on the stays might have done it but how would that have affected handling? I don’t know but I know the bike handles beautifully as it is.

It may be but it fits of several other similar 29ers which have been out a while (Yelli Screamy, Nimble 9, Honzo) – they also manage shorter chainstays at the same time.

It’s great but flawed. Many first editions are. Love/Hates without front mech cable stops, Inbred 29ers without seat tube rack mounts … it happens. Maybe a mk2 will be in the pipeline before long.

Again true – but Yelli Screamys have been out for what, over 2 years, and overcome these issues. A quick look at existing frames would surely overcome these initial teething problems?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Overtall headtube.
    Limited clearance.
    Short tt.
    Some qc problems.
    I’m quite relieved tbh….now if only my yelli was slacker and had reverb stealth capability 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 976 total)

The topic ‘Titus Fireline Ti 29 Evo..’ is closed to new replies.