Titus Fireline Ti 29 Evo..

Home Forum Bike Forum Titus Fireline Ti 29 Evo..

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 974 total)
  • Titus Fireline Ti 29 Evo..
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Are you seeing that as the niche the Fireline is targeting? (Fireline would probably win for me because it’s cheaper, British designed, oh and ti! The Yelli’s look nice tho …)

That’s my perception…. but i may be completely wrong lol.

Agree on the comment about the frame shape/geo/etc being the important thing, hence why i’ve not liked quite a few bikes i’ve owned/ridden in this year, a Zesty, Bionicon and Orange 5 were the standout examples of bikes i’ve ridden and got off thinking ‘meh’…..

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

The Yelli is also 850 quid for an aluminium frame. The comments re tubes etc notwithstanding, once I rode a Soul I promised myself I’d never again buy an aluminium HT.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

in that case, and if you can afford to take a punt, then why not

And bear in mind the risk isn’t the cost of the frame, it’s the difference between the new price and the price you’d sell it for a bit used (provided you can afford to have your cash tied up for a bit).

Would be nice to get a review and some pics….. Brant, any plans for a STW review soon ?

Premier Icon twinklydave
    Subscriber

How fast does it go?

Depends how fast you pedal it ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜€

benslow

and some pics

And an idea of the graphics/ decals …

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

@weeksy also see Kona Raijin.

Premier Icon charliemort
    Subscriber

@ mattjg

no – the risk is the mother of all b*llockings from the wife………… usually only solved by bying her another bike

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

if the kids are fed and shoed, and the mortgage is covered for the month, you’re in the clear surely?

that works for me anyway

jonstanley

[url=http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/titus-fireline-ti-29-evo/page/3#post-4347846 wrote:

charliemort[/url]]no – the risk is the mother of all b*llockings from the wife………… usually only solved by bying her another bike

Clearly the solution is a “his and hers” Fireline Ti 29er EVO? ๐Ÿ˜† :mrgreen:

ska-49

Does any one want a 2 month old medium black yelli? Hope headset and seat clamp. ยฃ600?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Ska, email me….

Yes is the answer.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

jonstanley – Member

charliemort ยป no – the risk is the mother of all b*llockings from the wife………… usually only solved by bying her another bike

Clearly the solution is a “his and hers” Fireline Ti 29er EVO?

‘her’ got a 32Gb iPad last week as a present…. so her is more than happy.

back on topic FFS, has there been / are there in place any plans for a review / mini-test ?

Ta……

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

back on topic FFS, has there been / are there in place any plans for a review / mini-test ?

that would be quite a challenge in the middle of the South China Sea … what tyres for a slippery container ship deck?

that would be quite a challenge in the middle of the South China Sea … what tyres for a slippery container ship deck?

haha, indeed,……

are there any plans in the near future then……?

rewski

@ the_lecht_rocks: wildrnes has one, drop him a mail.

Gotama

weeksy – didn’t you have an xl before and therefore a medium is prob too far the other way?!

And all the comments re frame feel depending on how its built are spot on imo. My yelli doesn’t feel harsh at all but the fancy pants Ti Kingdom 29er i had high hopes for felt like a i was riding a steel girder. Really took some of the shine off the Ti lust for me although appreciate its a sample of 1.

Edit – Yelli prices in this country are daft, all because of canfield’s shipping stipulation if i’m right. Hence why i bought mine second hand from mtbr.

brant

@ the_lecht_rocks: wildrnes has one, drop him a mail.

wildrnes has a proto with a few bits not the same at all.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Gotama – Member
    weeksy – didn’t you have an xl before and therefore a medium is prob too far the other way?!

My XTC29 is a Medium and is spot on sizing for me… although running a 90mm stem. But i’d be transferring over everything including the stem short term

Gotama

No, just no. A yelli with a 90mm stem is just wrong. Work out what the reach and eff toptube are for the giant, add the 90mm stem length to that figure and then buy the yelli with the same measurements when taking into account a 50/60mm stem. A medium in one is vastly different to a medium in the other and if you want to use a yelli for what it was designed for you certainly don’t want to be sticking a 90mm stem on there. A new stem is what, 20 quid for a budget one, certainly not worth letting it dictate the size of a frame given the relative costs.

Gotama

Ok, your Giant only shows eff tt which for the 2013 is 594mm in medium. Stick a 90mm on there and you have a total of 684mm. The Yelli Large eff tt is 622mm and Med is 603.25mm. A large Yelli with a 60mm stem will therefore be pretty much the same as your Giant when seated. If you measure the reach then you can compare them when riding stood up as well. There are obviously other factors at work here but its a reasonable starting point.

ska-49

Also depends on what bars you will be running.
    If you go for wider bars then the TT can be shorter and vice versa.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Interesting…

Ska, would be the same bars on either the Giant or the Yelli/Titus, so it’s all relative in that context.

I guess the question is then… if i went for the Fireline, should i run a shorter stem and a large frame, or a medium frame with 90 stem…. Maybe we need Brant to answer that but feel free to throw in your thoughts lads.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Gotama is spot on IMO, run the frame that feels how you want with a stem in the 50-70mm range. If you’re running a 90mm stem with wide bars (say 700mm or more), I’d say go for a longer frame unless you really want the short BMX style ‘chuckability’ (on a 29er, I wouldn’t want that). If you’re not running wide bars, shorten the stem and widen the bars to have comparably the same overall fit.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

Maybe we need Brant to answer that but feel free to throw in your thoughts lads

I don’t see how Brant can do that in terms of fit, you have to figure that out yourself. Each of us is different and personally I think height is the very roughest of guides anyway (it’s more about reach, once the seat is positioned correctly both vertically and fore-and-aft). He may have an opinion on what bar/stem combos work best tho.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

mattjg – Member

He may have an opinion on what bar/stem combos work best tho

That was more my point yes. As to whether he’d recommend a larger bike smaller stem combo over a smaller bike longer stem combo.

e.g the Yellis are seemingly all running 50-60mm stems, seems to be the designated sizing…. whereas the Giant is standard at 90mm…. i assume there’s a logic behind these figures from the manufacturers ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m running 710mm Funn bars with a 15mm rise.

benslow

Anyway ….

Where them pics …

๐Ÿ™‚

Gotama

Brant will undoubtedly comment but from the geometry it looks like its been developed for a similar purpose to the Yelli, Singular Buzzard etc. In my opinion it would be best suited to a stem of 50-70mm. Google Chromag and Jinya and have a look at those videos. Obviously he is an amazing rider but ultimately that is the type of riding i believe these bikes are designed for. If that’s what you aspire to and doing something similar at your own level then one of these frames is for you.

The other way of looking at it is what don’t you like about the giant? If nothing then instead of looking at these more aggro hardtails why not treat yourself to a Niner Sir 9, Cotic Solaris….which are probably closer in geometry to your Giant but nicer* frames. For certain trails my swift feels much more fun to ride than my yelli, just depends on what i’m doing. Buy a bike that is wrong for your riding and irrespective of how much man gush there is on here about it, you still won’t enjoy riding it as much as you’d hoped. I think the Chicken Cycles blokey said that if you go to him for a custom frame he will go for a ride with you to make sure he makes a bike that is right for you rather than what you think you need.

* obviously subjective before anyone jumps on my back ๐Ÿ˜€

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

The other way of looking at it is what don’t you like about the giant

It’s 18 months old and not ‘shiny’

benslow

‘Shiny’ only guaranteed for 6 months max.

You’re well overdue a replacement by rights.

Gotama

And what Mattjg means by reach is really effective toptube. Slip of the keyboard no doubt. Eff top tube is the distance when you’re sat down as its seat post to headtube, reach is bottom bracket to headtube so relevant when you are stood up. Think reach was brought into the measurement data by Transition and some others who i forget. The reasoning is that eff top tube is largely irrelevant for a bike where you are stood up hoofing down a hill. Also explains why there is seldom a reach measurement for xc bikes as you’re prob sat down more and therefore eff tt is more relevant.

Gotama

It’s 18 months old and not ‘shiny’

Fair enough, why not, besides new things go faster :D. Please demo something before dropping cash though as i reckon neither the fireline nor a yelli will float your boat, even in the right size. Have a play on a Niner or Cotic if you can get hold of one. Or the Singular swift is a lovely frame and less cash.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

ok yes I don’t mean ‘reach’ in any newfangled sense, I’m not up with that. I mean how far we have to reach, from a**e to bars, when sat down. If you know that, deduct the stem length you want (short in my case) and you’re then close to your ETT.

If I now have to start calculating fit when stood up my head will explode.

I’m only 5’8″ and happy on a medium Swift BTW, and I’d probably want a medium Fineline, despite Brant IIRC pointing someone taller than me to a small. I think I’m long in the arm and leg (short in torso) for my height, hence my note about choosing frame size by rider height.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

medium Swift BTW

further confused by the fact a medium is the smallest they make

Gotama

Sorry, wasn’t trying to be a pedantic twunt, just wanted to clarify as i referred to reach above and didn’t want to confuse him even further!

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

no worries

medium Swift BTW

[quote]

further confused by the fact a medium is the smallest they make [/quote]

Simply because Sam doesn’t think 29ers work in a small size.

bonesetter

Gotama – Member
    Brant will undoubtedly comment but from the geometry it looks like its been developed for a similar purpose to the Yelli, Singular Buzzard etc. In my opinion it would be best suited to a stem of 50-70mm. Google Chromag and Jinya and have a look at those videos. Obviously he is an amazing rider but ultimately that is the type of riding i believe these bikes are designed for. If that’s what you aspire to and doing something similar at your own level then one of these frames is for you.

The other way of looking at it is what don’t you like about the giant? If nothing then instead of looking at these more aggro hardtails why not treat yourself to a Niner Sir 9, Cotic Solaris….which are probably closer in geometry to your Giant but nicer* frames. For certain trails my swift feels much more fun to ride than my yelli, just depends on what i’m doing. Buy a bike that is wrong for your riding and irrespective of how much man gush there is on here about it, you still won’t enjoy riding it as much as you’d hoped. I think the Chicken Cycles blokey said that if you go to him for a custom frame he will go for a ride with you to make sure he makes a bike that is right for you rather than what you think you need.

* obviously subjective before anyone jumps on my back

This is good info. I have slacked out 120mm 29er’s and while initially great fun at ploughing through stuff they quickly loose their sparkle

The Kona Raijin with a carbon fork has my heart right now, just gorgeous – not too slack, not too steep, spot on ‘flexy’ ti frame feel, synergises perfectly with the Niner fork

The right bike for you and your trails = long-term bed partner ๐Ÿ™‚

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

nooooooo, enough already of you and your Raijin!

(I am actually going to ask LBS tonight what availability is).

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

A Niner would tick a lot of the boxes for me in all honesty. HOwever in some ways wouldn’t satisfy my ‘change’ want list, in the same way that the On-one Lurcher Carbon frame doesn’t quite make me want to jump ship. Simply because i think both of them would feel very very like the XTC, so whilst getting a new frame, it’s almost a new for old really… So… is there a point.

I think i better leave the thread now as you’re all now sitting there thinking “why the sodding hell are you changing at ALL from a frame you have no issues with and like lots… LOL”

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

I think i better leave the thread now as you’re all now sitting there thinking “why the sodding hell are you changing at ALL from a frame you have no issues with and like lots… LOL”

don’t be daft, talking nonsense about bikes is why we’re here

Gotama

Nah, no worries. Besides its kind of fun thinking of all the people clicking on the thread hoping for fireline pictures to find us still trying to find you a bike!

Again that’s a fair enough reason…..wanting change. What about a jones with a truss fork? Now there is a change and it’d probably fit your riding style perfectly. Anyway, good luck!

rewski

Any chance of getting a demo bike at the London Bike Show in Jan?

Big Pete

Well they have my 700 smackers ๐Ÿ˜ˆ any one else hit the button?

Viewing 45 posts - 91 through 135 (of 974 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.